CLC Tools and Shop Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MScruiser

obsessive-compulsive oppositional-defiant wise-ass
Threads
I thought we could have a thread dedicated to the discussion on cheap tools; the good, the bad, and the ugly. Post a picture, and why you liked/disliked it.

I know that I have bought many tools over the years from HF, and have been relatively pleased with some of them, while some have been complete garbage.

1/2 in. Drive Professional Flex Head Long Handle Ratchet
image_25205.jpg

1/2 in. Drive Professional Flex Head Long Handle Ratchet

This thing is extremely well made. Feels like it should cost about $200, as opposed to the $20 I think I paid for it after a coupon. I am in love.

1/2 in. Professional Air Impact Wrench
image_11115.jpg

1/2 in. Professional Air Impact Wrench

This thing is awesome. I use the hell out of mine. It keeps going strong too.

4-1/2 in. 4.5 Amp Heavy Duty Angle Grinder
image_11753.jpg

4-1/2 in. 4.5 Amp Heavy Duty Angle Grinder

I have had this angle grinder for about 4-5 years. I use it weekly, from grinding on my land cruiser, to sharpening lawnmower blades. I have put it through it's paces, running over extended periods of time, without overheating or failure. At less than $20, it has been one of the best purchases I have ever made.

Then there's this:

105 Pc Tool Kit with 4-Drawer Chest
image_23603.jpg

105 Pc Tool Kit with 4-Drawer Chest

Everything in this set is garbage. The wrenches are too short, the tips of the screwdrivers break, the snips are not sharp enough to cut anything, there is too much play in the vise grips to hold anything securely. I could go on and on.

Hand tools, vices, ect. are all ok. Power tools will NOT hold up if you use them regularly. The air tools just don't seem to have the torque as others do. The air tools do seem to hold up fairly well. Parts cleaners, drill presses,...larger things that you don't use all the time seem to be ok also.

I have not had good luck with grinding disc or drill bits. Some hand tools are surprisingly good. Engine stands, engine crane, etc have also been pretty good quality for the price.

But s*** @wngrog , those tools are at least twice the price!! ($4 screwdriver vs. $2 screwdriver) (sarcasm)

@jrob is right about the power tools too....except for that $19 angle grinder. I can't kill it. And I do use it regularly. Now, I have seen circular saws and power drills burn up with ease though. The angle grinders are the only power tools that seem to be worth a damn.

aren't 200 series guys are supposed to shop off of the snap-on truck?.....

anything with a cord or a battery is garbage. period.

most of their hand tools are garbage. especially if it has a moving part.

get them to trash and beat...

i have presses like above and some plum bobs and drifts...thats it.....

bleh. you get what you pay for.....

Can't wait until our buddy Eric Hagan see this! He is the local expert on HF tools since he has had many over the years!

On the off chance we could get a moderator to do it....I would love for this thread to be Tools and Shop thread.

I'd love to see how people set up their garages and shops as well as what cool tools y'all have in them.

I'll change the name if Andrew agrees. Heck he may be able to do it. Hate to change it if he started it.

Ditto...that has to be one of the best buys that hf has!!

I have found that HF is good "bigger tools" that you have a random need for during a particular "season" or "Project." For example, I needed an engine hoist. It was longer than a week-long project, so too long to burden someone with a "borrow" but it's not something I needed to invest a ton of money in for long term use, so I dropped the 200 bucks on one. They have a program where you can return it and trade into something else. So, I used it for 3 months and I traded it out for a pressure washer.

Essentially, you have 90 days to return anything. If you upgrade into the same product category, there is no-restocking fee. If you just want your money back, or exchange into something out of category, then you pay the 20%. In my case, it was about $40.00 to get my money back and roll it into a pressure washer, which was cheaper than rent. Of course, you can always argue that it is defective (as most of their products inherently are) and just get your money back.

Customer Service at Harbor Freight Tools - Returns and Exchanges

Last edited:
@Bodean you can change the thread title to whatever you like. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom