Clarity or further enablement. Cross posted in the 80 section too. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Comet

Knower of little, master of less.
SILVER Star
Threads
So, proud owner of too many cars. My wife has a Volvo station wagon and has agreed to drive a land cruiser. She prefers the 200 series but my budget only affords what I have (80 & 60) or a 100 series. My dilemma, I have owned the 80 series for a decade and love the platform; however, I recently fell into a 60 series that is set up exactly how I imagined. I have a daily driver (Camry 5 speed) that is economical so the down time associated with normal OCD maintenance and unscheduled repairs would not prove to be a hardship.

Plans are to sell the Volvo and one of the Land Cruisers (80 or 60) to purchase the 100 series, with the additional money funding repairs and modifications.

Who has been in this situation and how did you justify your decision.

80 Series has 340K with a freshened up head. No real issues other than normal gremlins.
60 Series is a tear down and baseline in process. Eventually I could see a V8 repower or diesel if the situation warrants.

Both are mechanically sound but not show queens. They get used for their intended purpose about 6 times a year, other than that they are pavement bound.

Comet.

..... or C, find a nice 62 and sell the 80 AND the 60...

So first off, get the better half into an LX470 (100 series) and see if that provides
a modicum of the luxury that's appealing to her in the 200 (or modernity if you like)

That has the potential to take a fair amount off the bottom line.

Then, for you...you have to decide what takes precedence...the capability of the
solid axle/coil set-up/automatic/1fz-fe representing one of the best performing
off road vehicles of all time...or, the worldly, never-die, utilitarian appeal and
simplicity of the 60 series. How does it make you feel when you drive it. Is it a
vacation from the rest of your world? Or does it make you feel impatient or less
confident about a particular aspect of your travels.

I went from 60 to 80 to 60...so that was my answer.Not that I didn't absolutely
love my 80. Most fun I've ever had wheeling. I just find automatics let you enjoy
the surroundings as well as the technical challenge (Moab, Slickrock-based wheeling).
I wanted another 60 because I love to drive it...as a machine. It is like driving
a tractor or other farm implement. It engages the driver as opposed to isolating them.

I would just pick the one that puts a bigger smile on your face when you get behind the wheel.

My 2 cents

I'm listening. 80 thread is responding too.

@Trapper50cal I can get a 100 series one owner for a fair price with 224K. Wife has already driven. She liked parallel parking and the fact she was up higher than the Volvo. I used to drive a GMC C1500 6.2 diesel, speed is only in my mind. The 80 corners like a champ and has more umph than I even needed. The 60 is definately like a tractor. In traffic it's not even an issue. My mantra "F#ck you, you can wait or speed around me to the next stop light."

@LAMBCRUSHER If I could support my habit (scratching the inside of my elbow) I would have a fleet. 40, 45, 60, 62, 70, 79, 80, 100, 200.

@NeverGiveUpYota you are biased, that's one of the things I like about you. ;)

@FJACS Agreed, age is a state of mind. Both vehicles put a smile on my face.

IMG_7433.JPG

IMG_7434.JPG

That's a tough one for sure. I think going back to a 60 would be more difficult to do if you sell that one (and regret it)- as in suitable rigs in good shape for the money. 80's are great for sure but also readily available. The 80 and 100 are way more similar than a 60 and 100, so the 60/100 combo would be cool for a nice example of two different rigs to choose to drive on an outing depending on what you are doing that day.

That's a tough one for sure. I think going back to a 60 would be more difficult to do if you sell that one (and regret it)- as in suitable rigs in good shape for the money. 80's are great for sure but also readily available. The 80 and 100 are way more similar than a 60 and 100, so the 60/100 combo would be cool for a nice example of two different rigs to choose to drive on an outing depending on what you are doing that day.

Agree with this. The 60 and 100 are different enough to cover a lot of different driving needs/wants. I love a nice white 80 but you can't have everything...

Agree with this. The 60 and 100 are different enough to cover a lot of different driving needs/wants. I love a nice white 80 but you can't have everything...

And I said that keeping in the back of my mind the fact that a white, locked, 97 Collectors Edition is my unicorn Land Cruiser

Buster Brown is the first 60 I have stalked for a year before approaching the owner. I watched him start his slow return to the earth. He started like this back in August.

IMG_6539.JPG

IMG_6538.JPG

@DFXR You own both. That carries some weight. I am utterly amazed at what my unlocked 80 can do on the trails. It just goes. Also, had the opportunity to see what a 100 series can do on the same trails. There was a whole lot less skinny pedal and the 100 felt more refined without slipping and sliding. Granted, the trails were the same but the conditions were different (time of the year and rain fall).

Thank you all for the input. I have been torn since I purchased the 60 this year. The rust on the rear quarter panels makes me want to delete them and wrap the bumper around the sides (sliders for his big butt).

Either way, the 100 Series needs my wife's tucus in it! No pics of the tucus though... That thread was deleted long ago.

Mine likes driving the 60,
I have discovered she uses it to drive up and over gutters, Kerbs, foot paths, etc
To get into the last space in the shopping centre car park.

@FordPrefect its funny you mention that. My wife likes to do that in her Volvo. The clearance just isn't the same.

you guys both said "like to" as tho it were intentional...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom