Clarify please, topic: wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Id like to buy another set of wheels so i can have a set for on road then on for wheeling. Ive been reading and from what i can ascertain is that the wheels for the 93-94 are different style hubs.

What do i need to look for in finding wheels that will work, aftermarket and oem.

BTW I have a 94 with drum brakes on the rear which ive learned are pretty rare.:beer::beer:

Different style lug nuts, same hubs. Wheels can be interchanged between the 93-94 and 95-97 trucks, but the lug nuts need to be swapped too. Sounds like you might be able to use 15" wheels if you have drums in the back, rear disks force the rest of us from '93+ to use 16" or bigger wheels.

-Spike

Sounds like you might be able to use 15" wheels if you have drums in the back, rear disks force the rest of us from '93+ to use 16" or bigger wheels.

-Spike[/QUOTE]

I have rear drums on my '93, I have a almost new set of 33x12.50x15 AT's that I would love to put on the 80. Am I correct in assuming that they will fit due to drums in the rear, or will they also hit the discs up front.

It's my understanding that it's the rear disks that interfere with 15" wheels, not the fronts. Test-fit a wheel to be sure. Wheel thickness and backspacing can be factors as well.

-Spike

Sounds like you might be able to use 15" wheels if you have drums in the back, rear disks force the rest of us from '93+ to use 16" or bigger wheels.

-Spike

I have rear drums on my '93, I have a almost new set of 33x12.50x15 AT's that I would love to put on the 80. Am I correct in assuming that they will fit due to drums in the rear, or will they also hit the discs up front.[/quote]

It's my understanding that it's the rear disks that interfere with 15" wheels, not the fronts. Test-fit a wheel to be sure. Wheel thickness and backspacing can be factors as well.

-Spike

:doh: Just fix'n to ask......:mad:

Might get a 16'd and want to put my 3fe'd 15's on it

IH816's

Last edited:
My 94 also has rear drums. Thought I could only use 16s, didnt know it was just the rear disks that cause the issue. I would love to know if I could also run 15s.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Next question is about what other wheels fit.

Bolt pattern is 6 x 5.5 right?

What offset and backspacing is usable?

Check the hub size also. If you go aftermarket, some 6 on 5.5 will have smaller hubs than the LC and some might be larger. If larger, you have to use hubcentric rings or if the wheel is lugcentric, use the correct type lugnuts.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of the difference in the 15 inch that came on the 91-92's but the 15's on the 60's and 62's work on the 94 with rear disk brakes. They chew into the caliper a bit, but it won't ruin it. I found this out because I had to. I had 2 flats in 5 minutes and the only wheel that would mate to the 94 was off of an 83 FJ 60. The things you do when you are miles from nowhere.

The FJ40;60;62 had a backspacing of 3.25 from the factory. The 80 has a BS of 4.5. The shallower wheel allowed you to run it on your FF rear without much drama. I believe if you had tried to use a stock rim from a 91/92 FJ80, you would have had to take down more of the caliper to fit.

FWIW, I have seen a 95 FZJ80 with a SF rear and drum brakes before. Some knucklehead that worked at Sikorsky and flew choppers for a living IIRC (you out there Ale?) We took my OEM rims and put them on his truck without issue.

15" aftermarket steel rims work well, but look for a 4" BS like the AR 767 black spoke. 6 on 5.5 is correct.

15" aftermarket steel rims work well, but look for a 4" BS like the AR 767 black spoke. 6 on 5.5 is correct.

Thats some great info,Thanks for posting it up, thats exactly what I was trying to find out.

Great wheel info here, glad I asked :)

Well I just ordered a set of 15''s for the 80 about an hour ago, they will be in next week and I've already got a set of 33x12.50's AT's ready to go on when they come in. I cant waut to get them on and loose the hidious factory chrome wheels the po had put on, Im glad you asked also.

Well? Did it work? I have a set of 33s that I would love to put on the 93 80, but they are for 15 rims.

Yeah, it worked great. They just barely clear the front calipers, but I couldnt be happier with the outcome.

I picked up a set of OEM FJ Cruiser rims for my offroad set. They look fantastic and fit perfectly, with correct backspacing. I picked them up for about $60 a piece from America's Tire (Discount Tire). They have a central warehouse where they hold take-offs, and I ordered them through a local store. You will need new lugs, about $32 if you go with their brand, which work fine.

The wheels are 17 x 7.5 and I'm running 285/70-17" BFG M/T's. No lift on my truck and they fit perfectly with no rubbing.

wheels.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic... it doesn't do them justice.

Yeah, it worked great. They just barely clear the front calipers, but I couldnt be happier with the outcome.

Cool! Time to cruise the junkyard looking for 15s. I had a set of Chevy rims on the 40 and they fit, so I'll start there.

Originally Posted by jonheld View Post

>>>
Thanks all for the info in this thread.

I'm just looking for a rim for a spare for my 94 with rear discs. The rig has the stock aluminum rims. I happen to like 'em. The PO sold it to me without the spare. So, I'm looking for a 16'' rim with a 4'' back space and 6 on 5.5'' lug pattern, correct? The thing I am missing is the hub size, which I can get easy enough by measuring...unless somebody knows it. Is there anything else I should know as I'm searching Craig's list and the junk yards?

Last edited:
So, I'm looking for a 16'' rim with a 4'' back space and 6 on 5.5'' lug pattern, correct?

The OEM wheels are 4.5" BS. If you're not rotating the spare into the mix then anything that fits all 4 corners works.

Thanks! 4.5'' BS it is then. I plan to rotate it in. I just bought new Revo's for this one and I might as well get full use out of all 5 tires. It sucks to blow a tire when all 4 are at about 50% tread and you can't put the spare in and leave it in because it has a different diameter at 100% tread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom