clarification of gear ratio in 4sp vs 5sp

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by toyslug, Feb 18, 2009.

1. toyslug

toyslug

sorry, referring to the 4sp and 5sp tranny found in 86+ FJ60s!

2. GLTHFJ60

GLTHFJ60 Rum Runnin' SILVER Star

3. toyslug

toyslug

thanks GLTHFJ60 for replying to my question. so are the gear ratios significantly different enough that i should be shifting at different points;eg. 2nd to 3rd , 3rd to 4th, etc. recently i upgraded to a new 5sp; have driven it less than 5000 miles and have started to develop a whining noise in different gears at different unpredictable times before i would normally shift to another gear or while in i am in gear! or does it mean i have a defective 5sp? i was hoping that it is due to my improper shifting rather a defective tranny! would appreciate input from all the experts out there!

4. GLTHFJ60

GLTHFJ60 Rum Runnin' SILVER Star

As for shift points, make sure not to lug the engine ( under load at less than 800 rpm's or so ) and make sure not to over-rev it. Other than that, shift by however you'd like.

The whine can be produced by a number of things, the throwout bearing, the input bearing, the transfercase idler bearings, input bearings, etc. My recommendation is to change the fluid of both the tranny and t-case and take a look.

5. toyslug

toyslug

thanks again, glthfj60! will follow your rec. and hope for the best.

6. smkymntn

smkymntn

Media:
    Albums:
    I shift around 2000 rpm give or take. No whining or other sounds, it does however take awhile for the gears to loosen up. 3rd and 5th took a couple of months to shift smooth.

7. sl33py

sl33py

I have the 5sp, and skinny 33's w/ 3.70's. I shift 2500-3200 typically depending on gear. 1st to second i can shift when rolling (1st is almost granny), 2nd and 3rd both i rev up - especially up hills (regear to 4.11 would help a lot), and 4th i use typically on freeway up inclines, though sometimes stay in 5th if doing 65 or so (2500 - which seems decent powerband).

3rd can be tight sometimes, but so far no strange noises. Only about 500 miles so far on the new h55 and rebuilt t/c.

HTH

rob

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.