clarification of gear ratio in 4sp vs 5sp

thanks GLTHFJ60 for replying to my question. so are the gear ratios significantly different enough that i should be shifting at different points;eg. 2nd to 3rd , 3rd to 4th, etc. recently i upgraded to a new 5sp; have driven it less than 5000 miles and have started to develop a whining noise in different gears at different unpredictable times before i would normally shift to another gear or while in i am in gear! or does it mean i have a defective 5sp? i was hoping that it is due to my improper shifting rather a defective tranny! would appreciate input from all the experts out there!

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star

As for shift points, make sure not to lug the engine ( under load at less than 800 rpm's or so ) and make sure not to over-rev it. Other than that, shift by however you'd like.

The whine can be produced by a number of things, the throwout bearing, the input bearing, the transfercase idler bearings, input bearings, etc. My recommendation is to change the fluid of both the tranny and t-case and take a look.

I shift around 2000 rpm give or take. No whining or other sounds, it does however take awhile for the gears to loosen up. 3rd and 5th took a couple of months to shift smooth.

I have the 5sp, and skinny 33's w/ 3.70's. I shift 2500-3200 typically depending on gear. 1st to second i can shift when rolling (1st is almost granny), 2nd and 3rd both i rev up - especially up hills (regear to 4.11 would help a lot), and 4th i use typically on freeway up inclines, though sometimes stay in 5th if doing 65 or so (2500 - which seems decent powerband).

3rd can be tight sometimes, but so far no strange noises. Only about 500 miles so far on the new h55 and rebuilt t/c.

HTH

rob

Last edited:
Top Bottom