Clamp on steps for sliders. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guy think you could help me out I am looking for some steps that bolt on to rock slider tubes I know of one company streetacos.com but they don't have the best reputation.

Not sure how these work. Went to their site but it was scary bad. I understand you are looking for a step, but I assume you put on sliders for ground clearance and protection? If you had a step that hung down, that would be lost.

I would imagine your requirement is to be able to remove them fairly easily before you go to any kind of "sliding" area and I wonder if maybe you should consider stepsliders to replace your current sliders, if you want all passengers and driver to have a step. if only one person needs the step then it might be possible or even fairly easy to fab up a step that locks on the slider but is not attached when driving.

I am sure with more information on what you want and care about we can come up with more ideas/ resources for you.

I tried for three months to get steps from street tacos. Finally gave up, even after correspondence with the owner. I was never able to find another company that produced these.

Yeah being removable is a requirement and I would prefer to be able to keep them on while driving. I use the Cruiser mostly in the desert so I don't use the protection part of the sliders that often but they have definitely come in handy on some of the trails I have ended up on. I would prefer to have the steps over the stepsliders mainly because I have sliders already. Do they make a durable sliderstep for the 80 series that doesn't reduce the ground clearance?

Last edited:
I bet anyone with a fab shop/welding business could fab you up something pretty easily, and you could get exactly what you want. If it were me I would just make some in the garage.

^^^This

what sliders do you have currently? With a little bit of fabrication know-how it would be pretty easy to make a set of steps that bolt on in one way or another (u bolts for square tubing, clamps for round tubing)

I bet anyone with a fab shop/welding business could fab you up something pretty easily, and you could get exactly what you want. If it were me I would just make some in the garage.

Agree'd. There are a lot of cool builder parts out there, tubing clamps and stuff like that, would be pretty easy to lego a nice setup together. any decent fab shop could probably whip something together pretty quick and easy

I went with a low profile (and ugly) step. I haven't dragged it yet. I don't know if I'll slide over it, break the clamp, or get stuck on it. I suppose it depends on what I drag on, and how hard. As a step, it is dangerous. It has a tendency to let your foot roll under the slider, and of course tends to keep a hold on your foot. If you keep a hold of a handle above your head, you can stay balanced. My step isn't even close to perfect, but I think it's better than nothing for a few people who had trouble getting into the passenger seat.

step 1.jpg

step 2.jpg

I went with a low profile (and ugly) step. I haven't dragged it yet. I don't know if I'll slide over it, break the clamp, or get stuck on it. I suppose it depends on what I drag on, and how hard. As a step, it is dangerous. It has a tendency to let your foot roll under the slider, and of course tends to keep a hold on your foot. If you keep a hold of a handle above your head, you can stay balanced. My step isn't even close to perfect, but I think it's better than nothing for a few people who had trouble getting into the passenger seat.

View attachment 1965674

View attachment 1965675

I am considering making steps that slip over the top and hang down to step into the truck. They will drop over the outside tube and "clip" under the rectangular tube. After the person is in, they get removed and placed inside the truck.

My intent is for my son, who has cerebral palsy, but the intent is for kids, short people, elderly people that need to get in.

I have not addressed the possibility of leaving them on while driving or removing them while inside the truck.

I am not in a hurry but if there is interest, I will step up my time frame and produce a set for myself to see if others are interested.

My initial concept will be steel, with the possibility of aluminum for lightweight.

Unfortunately, I cannot use your current concept for him. I've tried...

This is what I use when my mother in law needs help getting into the cruiser. I close the door for her afterward and throw it in the back.

View attachment 1965847

That's kind of what we use now too. However, on days right before it rains, he can't lift his feet as well and ends up kicking it under the truck.

I think we own 20 different versions of these.

I need something that can support his feet, be easy to step on and off, be attached to the truck securely enough that he can push on it or go sideways on it, and have it stay in place. It must also keep his foot from slipping too far in or too far sideways.

I don't ask much.......

That's kind of what we use now too. However, on days right before it rains, he can't lift his feet as well and ends up kicking it under the truck.

I think we own 20 different versions of these.

I need something that can support his feet, be easy to step on and off, be attached to the truck securely enough that he can push on it or go sideways on it, and have it stay in place. It must also keep his foot from slipping too far in or too far sideways.

I don't ask much.......

Going to sound lame but if you aren't going offroad much a automatic step like some folks use on pickup trucks would probably be perfect for this application.

Going to sound lame but if you aren't going offroad much a automatic step like some folks use on pickup trucks would probably be perfect for this application.

Point taken.

I've actually picked up a broken return step from one of the aftermarket retractable step manufacturers to use as a template to see if that would work.

In my case, I need more than one step. I am actually looking at (3) steps up to get into the truck. Our son can only lift his foot about 6" without REALLY tweaking himself, so based on the height on my truck (OME 2.5" heavies and WKOR sliders, 33" tires)

I'll let folks know when I get stuff designed.

For the cousin in my family with cerebral palsy he can't do 6" even on a good day, more of a 2in shuffle. I always wondered if a ramp with grip paper could work well, but with the cats on the passenger side I don't think it would be able to retract under (like you see the ramp on a uhaul truck drop and retract), but it might provide a safe and sturdy option providing someone will place and remove it before closing the door. Unfortunately his chair is too tall for the 80 for him to have the chair anchors like some of the vans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom