CJ's 1962 FJ40 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The color is green! I have no clue what real color, I took the kick plate and really polished and buffed the inside to get as clean and shiny section as I could then went to the Nason paint dealer. He looked at it grabbed a book of greens opened it to a page and picked one in one action. There must have had thousand shades of green and after 15 minutes I could not find a close match then then one he picked. While more shiny, it is as close to the original color as I could get. There are no color codes from 61/62 that I could find.

That's a nice rebuild, you have done a good job there so far, you have balance budget to out come, you should be happy with that. You could throw thousands of dollars at 1962 FJ40 to get it to that state, looking good.

I am into this for a total of about $1,200 dollars, original purchase price. I have sold extra parts that came with the it to buy the parts and supplies. I still have more to sell and only need tires and a windshield gasket to complete. I think I can end up with a fairly nice fj40 with only a lot of time and less then $1,000 out of pocket. If I sold the soft top hardware and front stamped bezel and put on a regular bezel (which I have) I think I could end up with a profit and a cruiser. Tempting to do just so I could say I did, but I would never find soft top bows again for this FST tub.

Any updates on your 1962?

Finally got some stuff done, thought I would do an update for my records.

My son and I put in the EZ Wiring harness, went pretty smoothly so far. We have everything working including the gauge cluster except the charge idiot light, not sure how to wire it yet with this harness and internally regulated alternator. Still have to work on the windshield wipers and horn, everything else was simple. We used all terminals with the heat shrink that also glues itself to the wire, we have put all wires inside heat shrink wrap. We also installed the new windshield, $70 to have it cut at a glass shop. We picked up some round lights for $7 bucks just so we would have rear lights. Looks good, will eventually get real ones with the stock brackets. But this will do for now.

355.jpeg
356.jpeg
357.jpeg
358.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally got to painting it, turned out 50/50 very happy with front half, not so much with back. Planning another few coats post assembly, might have to and and do a little more body work on the tub, not that it is shiny small issues much more visible. Other then parts of the floor and rear sill, this is 100% original steel, spent a lot of time on the hood and fenders, clearly not as much on the body.

Dad2six, I do not have a proportioning valve, those that used this setup from the fj45 section did not need one. Have only driven around the block a few times, stopped very well even without the booster hooked up yet.

View attachment 894813
that is awesome!!!!!. this is ridiculous been going thru your post for the last hour. just figuring out what i need to do with my similar build.

Finally got some stuff done, thought I would do an update for my records.

My son and I put in the EZ Wiring harness, went pretty smoothly so far. We have everything working including the gauge cluster except the charge idiot light, not sure how to wire it yet with this harness and internally regulated alternator. Still have to work on the windshield wipers and horn, everything else was simple. We used all terminals with the heat shrink that also glues itself to the wire, we have put all wires inside heat shrink wrap. We also installed the new windshield, $70 to have it cut at a glass shop. We picked up some round lights for $7 bucks just so we would have rear lights. Looks good, will eventually get real ones with the stock brackets. But this will do for now.

View attachment 1483274 View attachment 1483275 View attachment 1483276 View attachment 1483277
i have no idea if you are still active on here. i am new to the this forum and toyota. I know this was some time ago but you mentioned an EZ wiring harness?? is this still available and where? What does it include?

i have no idea if you are still active on here. i am new to the this forum and toyota. I know this was some time ago but you mentioned an EZ wiring harness?? is this still available and where? What does it include?

Figured someone should respond to ya on this one. The EZ harness is made I think somewhere near Daytona Florida and is basically a fuze box that has a bunch of wires pouring out of it all labeled for various things such as the head lights tail lights blinkers and all sorts of accessories that you might or might not have. Its super useful but super intimidating if you havent played with wiring harness before.

Build Thread: Tim's 1962 FJ40 Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/tims-1962-fj40-build.1264354/
Live Free or Die Trying or somethin like that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom