CJ7 axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JPB

Threads
will the rear axle off a 77 CJ7 heep fit a on my cruiser?

anything can be made to fit, but....LOTS of differences:

1> weaker, most likely a Dana 35C, tho possibly a D44 which is equivalent to a FJ40 rear, might be a Dana 20, which stock is pathetic, but can be upgraded with a shaft change and other tweaks
2> centered diff, not offset like the FJ40....not the best solution
3> width...stock FJ40 is 55" WTW
4> 5-lug pattern so ya get to mix/match rims

and, probably more I cant recall offhand.....lol

it actually has an offset diff... I was most worried about the width and the weakness of them

I believe the offset diff will make it from a CJ5, not a 7, and it's definitely a downgrade in strength....

I can drag my local Jeep expert online tomorrow and he'll know way more usless info...lol

preciate any help you can give me

CJ7 rears I'm pretty sure aren't offset...and they're definitely weaker if they're the AMC 20 or 30 or whatever they called them...DON'T DO IT!

What you have there is an offset Dana 20 out of a quadratrack model CJ7 . Jeep made quite a few CJ7's in the 77 era that had a 258/auto/quadratrack transfer case. They are full time 4wd that has a diff in the tcase so it would allow for full time 4wd. Alot of Wagoneers used the same transfer case for many years.

In 77 Jeep still ran narrow trac axles, they are around 52-53" wide in the CJ's.
The axle can be built into a decent axle but I would NEVER even think of putting one in a Cruiser. Even with all the upgrades to it, it won't be close to the strength of a stock Cruiser axle.

CruisinGA said:
Why?

A little background never hurts...
a friend of mine was using his offset axle in his CJ7... till he went to an all chevy drive train and got a centered transfer case. He was going to give me the axle if I wanted it for the disc brakes it had.... but I'm thinking this sounds like a bad idea

Rock_hugger is exactly correct... that is his set-up except I think he was running a 304/auto

I'll stick with the stock cruiser axles... thanks for the help

Don't know if it helps but here are pictures of the back of mine (I'm working on selling the damn Heep!!!) and it looks to be centered.

please dont put heep parts on a cruiser

the cruiser gods will hate you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom