CityRacer Power Steering Pump - Anyone installed this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wunu

Teamster Wannabe
Threads

Hi All,

I have a 1984 FJ60 and I've been looking at Valley Hybrids kit for steering pump conversion and also this one from City Racer. My pump is chucking out fluid through the front seal and dousing my hood on hard lock. Can anyone tell me pros and cons of either? I'm a newb and sometimes struggle with the jobs that require brute force. My bro-in-law is out of country, I usually call on him when I need the leverage or strength I can't muster. That said, I'm house sitting and have full access to his great tools and workshop. I like the idea of not changing the truck too much *ie not cutting the bracket. However, it sounds from what I'm reading that the saginaw conversion is a more powerful pump and people can really tell the difference.

I'm less intimidated by this City Racer pump since it seems like a straight swap, but prior to knowing about it I was feeling like I would be able to do the conversion that Georg makes. Any and all insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

City Racer sells good products. Gorg gives good advice. Either pump is a good option. If you don't have extremely large tires (>33") I would stick with the Toyota OEM. Much easier install and keeps your 60 stock.

Other's advice will vary.

I picked one up from city racer a while back and just installed it while doing some other work under the hood. I had to file down the mating surfaces slightly because they are just a hair too big to slide nicely into the bracket. I swapped pulleys from old to new without any drama and I am now in the process of tuning the truck and setting idle etc and making sure the new PS pressure line isn't leaking etc.

Shot this video last night....first start in months after redoing the whole intake/exhaust manifold assembly and power steering pump

60 Works and Seth - I appreciate the info. I forgot to mention that my tires are 33". I'm glad you added that note 60. I just talked to Valley Hybrids and realize I'll be into around $400 once I have the kit and that duralast pump. I have more time than money so I'll try to get the City Racer once they're back in stock in December.

60 Works and Seth - I appreciate the info. I forgot to mention that my tires are 33". I'm glad you added that note 60. I just talked to Valley Hybrids and realize I'll be into around $400 once I have the kit and that duralast pump. I have more time than money so I'll try to get the City Racer once they're back in stock in December.

Keep it Stock and OEM .....

it's the only way to roll

IMG_0768.JPG

I have Georg's kit and I have to say I'm really satisfied with it. As much as I like sticking to stock, I like knowing that I can get a replacement PS pump at almost any auto parts store in the future.

For another $100 you can get an OEM pump from the dealer.

Borrego that's an amazing price! Thanks for the link. :)

I have Georg's kit and I have to say I'm really satisfied with it. As much as I like sticking to stock, I like knowing that I can get a replacement PS pump at almost any auto parts store in the future.
That's something for me to keep in mind. I like being able to grab spare parts easily.

I've been buying a lot of my OEM parts from them. They have great prices and ship quick.

I’m not totally sure, but I don’t think the one from Toyota comes with the reservoir. Been on the hunt for an OEM one as well, so if anyone can confirm/deny this, I’d appreciate it.

I’m not totally sure, but I don’t think the one from Toyota comes with the reservoir. Been on the hunt for an OEM one as well, so if anyone can confirm/deny this, I’d appreciate it.

Mine did. Its been on the truck for several years now but came with reservoir. I think the reservoir is also available separate (or at least was). HTH.

I'm paying attention. My pump still works fine, cap is a little loose and I get a little seepage but it hasn't gotten worse in the 6 years I've had it. I have already replaced the cooling system, alternator, intake, exhaust, clutch master & slave, distributor, and now the ac compressor is toast. So after that, the PS and brakes will be the only peripherals left that are original. I wonder which will last the longest?

I did the conversion about 1 year ago. The hardest part for me was getting the pulley onto the pump correctly. Once it was all said and done i have not looked back. It turns my 33's like nothing, and like others, i like the availability of the Saginaw. You probably can't go wrong either way. Gorg is great to work with and responsive. His kit works out great.

I saw this thread just in the nick of time. I had placed an order from McGeorge for a few small parts for my Sequoia, and then saw that they had the OEM PS pumps for sale. Added that to my order and it is en route. My original one is still going strong, but looks like it may have a slight leak.

I've been using McGeorge for a while now and am super happy with their service too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom