City Racer seal quality (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

plink01

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys I'm about to put an order in for some bits from City Racer and was thinking while I'm at it I might buy some door and window seals.

Can anyone vouch for the quality of them?? They're not OEM and I know there are OEM seals still about but the prices are pretty wild for some bits of rubber. My current seals aren't really bad enough to justify those sorts of prices.

I'm from Aus and I've heard the seals from Rare Spares and All four x 4 are pretty rubbish.

So does anyone have any experience with the City Racer ones??

State year and model, and which seals you’re curious about. There might be quite a few people that can only comment on one or two.

I can comment on my 78 purchases - Great quality from my perspective and great customer service!

Yeah good idea.

1982 BJ42 LX. It's got the rear side sliding windows and front fold out corner windows I spose you'd call them.

Pictures might help make more sense.

20200303_222407.jpg

20200308_190909.jpg

Awesome thanks for the replies. I have bought stuff off them before and the quality was great, I knew these would be good but I thought I'd double check, I've heard a lot of bad stories about dodgy seals from other sellers.

Thanks for you help!

I'm planning City racer seals for my HJ47 where I can't get OEM or where OEM price doesn't make sense. For some reason it seems like the aftermarket has trouble making a decent seal.

Good experience here with some bits for the hardtop for my ‘78 from Rog.

I bought some aftermarket seals (not Cityracer) and they were garbage. Went OEM. I dont think City racer had a lot seals at that time, or I didnt know he did, but knowing the quality of everything else that came from City racer I would say they are good seals.

I seem to be the only one with bad luck. It's been two weeks and I still have not seen the shipping notice for my parts? First time I ordered it was quick, great parts. This time has been a wreck. I've tried to contact four different times using two different emails. Nothing. No response, no parts. The only way to contact is by email - I hate that.
Win some, lose some i guess.

I seem to be the only one with bad luck. It's been two weeks and I still have not seen the shipping notice for my parts? First time I ordered it was quick, great parts. This time has been a wreck. I've tried to contact four different times using two different emails. Nothing. No response, no parts. The only way to contact is by email - I hate that.
Win some, lose some i guess.
What part is it that you ordered? I don't have anything from 2 weeks ago that hasn't been shipped. Did you try the Contact Form on the website? Your message won't go into the spam folder if you use the form. You can also PM me on MUD.

What part is it that you ordered? I don't have anything from 2 weeks ago that hasn't been shipped. Did you try the Contact Form on the website? Your message won't go into the spam folder if you use the form. You can also PM me on MUD.
To follow up, I found all of your emails in the spam folder and responded to your inquiry. Apparently UPS hasn't moved your shipment and we'll initiate an investigation with them.

Last edited:
I’ve got door seals for my ‘74 from City Racer. The quality looks excellent, service was excellent, and they arrived quickly.

Given they’re NLA as new, I’m happy as a pig in sh!t that he has developed a modern option to replace them. From here on mud, I’m aware he tested prototypes on a 40 before putting them into production. This is the opposite of what I’ve seen from some aftermarket suppliers that grab generic weather stripping and decide it’ll seal... and don’t care if it doesn’t seal well or even resemble the original.

When I ordered them I had the roof off. I was planning to install them this/last summer, but the year has been something else. I’m still hoping to get them on this year... but it hasn’t happened yet.

I’ve recently learned that the foam EPDM needs compatible adhesive or it’ll not stay stuck. Not a bad thing, just something to be aware of and I’ll be sure to use the right adhesive.

edit: EPDM foam

Last edited:
I’ve recently learned that the foam UHMV (I believe) needs compatible adhesive or it’ll not stay stuck. Not a bad thing, just something to be aware of and I’ll be sure to use the right adhesive.

EPDM

I’ve got door seals for my ‘74 from City Racer. The quality looks excellent, service was excellent, and they arrived quickly.

Given they’re NLA as new, I’m happy as a pig in sh!t that he has developed a modern option to replace them. From here on mud, I’m aware he tested prototypes on a 40 before putting them into production. This is the opposite of what I’ve seen from some aftermarket suppliers that grab generic weather stripping and decide it’ll seal... and don’t care if it doesn’t seal well or even resemble the original.

When I ordered them I had the roof off. I was planning to install them this/last summer, but the year has been something else. I’m still hoping to get them on this year... but it hasn’t happened yet.

I’ve recently learned that the foam EPDM needs compatible adhesive or it’ll not stay stuck. Not a bad thing, just something to be aware of and I’ll be sure to use the right adhesive.

edit: EPDM foam
You're right. I've consolidated all of the weatherstripping related tips into one page on my website, including your point about the adhesive, which is important. I also created a Guide page that summarizes all of the weatherstripping used on different model years.

Looks like OP is from Australia. I have a good number of references from there, including a guy who has a 40 Series YouTube channel. Here's a vid in which he shows the installation of City Racer's hardtop to tub weatherstrip.

As John mentioned above 40 Channel on you tube is excellent. One of the better do it yourself vids out there👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom