city racer rear hatch weatherstrip / tailgate question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
wondering if anyone else has changed out all their old worn out weather stripping with city racer seals - and had issues getting the rear hatch to close correctly?

i did all the seals on the rear hatch with city racer reproductions - and the fit/quality is superb...but my only complaint is now I have to slam the living balls out of both the tailgate and the upper hatch to get things to close.

my wife has given up - she can't get the rear hatch to shut tight no matter what.

thoughts?

is there that much adjustment to the latch hardware to account for this - or am i just stuck waiting for the seals to relax?

Have you tried simply loosening all the strikers and latches to get it to latch (without cosmic slamming of the hatch)? It may look odd, if the hatch doors protrude past the truck., but you might just try adjusting out until the seals get more worn-in. You might also warm all the seals with a hair-dryer, shut the hatch, and let it sit for a week. I would think City Racer would let you know if there are known issues, too - you might contact them.

Agreed, there's a good amount of adjustment in the catches. You may have to adjust it now when the seals are fresh, and again after the summer once they relax and groove a bit. 100% worth it to not slam the hatch.

thanks folks... guess i'll dig up that section of the fsm and see what moves where.

I broke the fasteners loose, then tightened to the point where they'd nudge with a firm tap but not freely wiggle. Gently set the hatch or gate onto the catch, then attempt to close with finger pressure. Once you get it in the right spot it will just click into place and you can tighten it down.

I replaced all of mine with his pieces, no issues what so ever. Hatch is easy to close. Maybe the upper one isn’t installed right?

It would be helpful if you post some photos. New weatherstripping can be a little tighter initially, and will settle after some time. However, I've not heard of it being extremely tight. In your case, I would look into the catches as others have mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom