City Racer carb swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
3317C66B-6548-41E4-9858-528E534A076B.jpeg
D7BF6239-909B-43AD-A058-02D886BAF860.jpeg
4FCC8C53-3528-4C8D-8059-83D07D7BF2B9.jpeg
50284B2D-7710-433A-A5C9-4DB496C1D3FD.jpeg

1987 FJ60. Currently swapping my broken Weber for a new City Racer carb and will be using the original air cleaner assembly. The PO did a Desmog and some of the work needs to be fixed. The following parts are missing/removed: the original carb insulator plate is missing, HAC, EGR, Cat, charcoal canister, all VCVs and emission parts/components. I do not require a smog inspection in my county/state. I have a spare OEM carb that I will eventually send off for a rebuild that has a working A/C Idle up which I’ll transfer to the new carb. I have removed the Man-a-Fre carb block.

Questions:

1. Do I need to purchase an OEM carb insulator?

2. I have two new unused VCVs from City Racer. Will I need to use both for the swap? The vacuum hoses on the oil filter side were routed from:
1. Distributor advance to carb
2. Distributor cap vent #1 to fire wall cabin filter
3. Distributor cap vent #2 to bottom of stock air cleaner
(All of the above were run independently without using a VCV)

3. Should I remove and cap both BVSVs? Nothing has every been connected to them since I’ve owned the truck.

4. Plan to use City Racer carb solenoid instead of OEM stock from spare carb.?

5. New PCV valve, grommet and hose to existing EGR plate or other options?

6. The original choke cable was never used with the Weber. Is it recommended to connect it with the new City Racer carb.?

7. There is a yellow blade connector wire next to the the large green ICS connector previously connected to the Weber choke What do I do with this wire???

8. Would re-installing a charcoal canister help with drivability.....gas fumes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

1. Yes, I would.
2. You only need one for the distributor and one for air cleaner.
3. No, leave them. Especially the distributor. They can fail if not properly vented.
4. Use the city racer and make a jumper wire to the solenoid. If you have a stock carb, take the old connector off and repin the carb side plug with the ICS on the new carb. You’ll have only one wire in the city racer ics and you’ll have to see which one makes the solenoid click on the chassis side of the harness.
5. Replace that all, but make sure your pcv grommet isn’t super hard and likely to break. You’ll drop it in the crank case if you’re not careful
6. Hook up the choke. It makes cold starts so much easier. It’s there for a reason. It’s a drop on with the CR carb.
7. It would help the fumes but i don’t run it. I suggest drilling a small wire gauge hole in the gas cap to vent pressure. It will still smell but you won’t vapor lock issues. Mine only smells with a full tank.

Ill add #8. Add an ac idle up valve while you’re there. It will help with the idle retention.

Here’s the lean drop idle method. Your idle mixture screw will look different but it’s in the same place.

Message me if you get stuck.

601580BF-3FCD-4F4D-B249-DAB09411835A.jpeg

37C62B60-23BA-4B31-A45F-0A7B8382F9C8.jpeg

1. Yes, I would.
2. You only need one for the distributor and one for air cleaner.
3. No, leave them. Especially the distributor. They can fail if not properly vented.
4. Use the city racer and make a jumper wire to the solenoid. If you have a stock carb, take the old connector off and repin the carb side plug with the ICS on the new carb. You’ll have only one wire in the city racer ics and you’ll have to see which one makes the solenoid click on the chassis side of the harness.
5. Replace that all, but make sure your pcv grommet isn’t super hard and likely to break. You’ll drop it in the crank case if you’re not careful
6. Hook up the choke. It makes cold starts so much easier. It’s there for a reason. It’s a drop on with the CR carb.
7. It would help the fumes but i don’t run it. I suggest drilling a small wire gauge hole in the gas cap to vent pressure. It will still smell but you won’t vapor lock issues. Mine only smells with a full tank.

Ill add #8. Add an ac idle up valve while you’re there. It will help with the idle retention.

Here’s the lean drop idle method. Your idle mixture screw will look different but it’s in the same place.

Message me if you get stuck.

View attachment 2236789

View attachment 2236790

Thank you very much for your help!!! I’ve ordered the carb insulator plate and gaskets. Hope to install everything next week and finally get things working again.......and hopefully better than the Weber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom