City racer carb install over bad work. Need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m installing a new city racer carb in my desmogged 1983 fj60. The previous owner(s) were really bad mechanics but they figured they were real clever. Everything they touched on her is a mess. Any advice for the new carb install to make her semi-normal? All vacume lines are pretty much disconnected except the vac advance and few other port in the actuator is plugged. I’ll post a pic of the engine compartment in a few mins.

Here is a few shots. Please help

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

What is between your carb and air intake? It looks like the insulator is missing. The base of the carb is an easy place to get vac leaks.

this thread has good pics and drawings of the vac lines for desmog. You don’t need to do the HAC part for it to run. You should measure 18” - 20” of vacuum at sea level

What is between your carb and air intake? It looks like the insulator is missing. The base of the carb is an easy place to get vac leaks.
yup insulator is missing but i have a "new" one i am about to install with the carb.

I also didn’t see a gas filter on the air intake manifold. It’s a round thing on a nipple that has three vac ports. It looks like there’s a threaded plug in it’s place

I also didn’t see a gas filter on the air intake manifold. It’s a round thing on a nipple that has three vac ports. It looks like there’s a threaded plug in it’s place
No gas filter. It appears the PO eliminated everything save the dizzy advance.

And then there is this going into the place where the Pcv valve should be

image.jpg

you should also hook up the line from the distributor cap to the air cleaner

Ive had some threads on this, I can take pictures if you need.

^^ what they've said.
Yeah that PCV looks dodgy, easy enough to get a fresh one, be sure to get the grommet that goes into the top of the U-tube. I don't understand the side vent to the PO's work there. . .

There are two vents on the dizzy cap, one goes to the cab interior, by the passenger footwell, the other should route to the air canister/filter house.

It blows my mind what people will do to save $5. :mad: It's a PCV valve, not gold unobtanium.
Not too mention a little bit of hose, and a seal.

030A04.gif

It blows my mind what people will do to save $5. :mad: It's a PCV valve, not gold unobtanium.
Not too mention a little bit of hose, and a seal.

030A04.gif
Yeah I couldn’t find the logic in it myself.it worries me to wonder what other damage that donkey did to my poor cruiser. Thanks for the diagram. I’ll have track down the grommet and some hose.

^^ what they've said.
Yeah that PCV looks dodgy, easy enough to get a fresh one, be sure to get the grommet that goes into the top of the U-tube. I don't understand the side vent to the PO's work there. . .

There are two vents on the dizzy cap, one goes to the cab interior, by the passenger footwell, the other should route to the air canister/filter house.
Ok. I don’t have a canister or the actuating valves. The hose going to the cab seems to be Intact but the other is open. Maybe I should run it to the air cleaner box to create some suction and so it doesn’t vent into the cab?

Having gone through this recently myself, at least properly routing vacuum lines, I can tell you getting the vacuum routing correct helped me tremendously. Like a different truck. I used this guide for getting the vacuum correct:

I found that guide quite helpful myself. I know you have other issues than just vacuum routing. But this may help with at least that part. I am sure there are many ways to do a proper desmog. But this one worked for me. You may also want to check the vacuum advancer pot actually holds vacuum before going through the trouble of hooking it up. I got mine all plumbed only to discover it didn't work. HTH.

Ok. I don’t have a canister or the actuating valves. The hose going to the cab seems to be Intact but the other is open. Maybe I should run it to the air cleaner box to create some suction and so it doesn’t vent into the cab?

Yep. With a fully smogged rig, the vent hose from the dizzy would go to a VCV (round doohickey) that fits into the empty clamp that is under the aircan, I think you could route the hose to the nipple up under there?

How to Desmog

Attachments

• How+to+Desmog+an+FJ60-2.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 102
It looks like they also removed the A/C Idle up dashpot and linkage. I would want that restored so the A/C works correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom