City Racer 16” wheels with Yokohama M/T G2003s and KM3 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

View attachment 180829680mph!!!
Holy cannoli !!!!
That’s some serious speed right there!:steer:

Did a little more of that on the way to the Crawl towing a trailer.....

These tires are superb.

92E6A94C-FF96-4EFE-ACDD-8F779A22239B.jpeg

C4FF08B8-17DE-4354-8B1B-1E7C91AD67FA.jpeg

7004DDBD-8A88-4D52-9C69-85A0DC7A4436.jpeg

AD770CCA-E530-4690-B98B-D363139A8282.jpeg

203595F2-1314-46AA-8732-C73D66F8BB96.jpeg

I just put the Yokohamas on my cruiser after hearing about them and then stumbling onto this thread.

In the short distance I have driven them, they have been very quiet and smooth. I’m leaving for a 600 mile round trip to Arkansas today for the weekend and then out to Colorado on Monday so I will quickly be getting some miles on these.

My previous set of tires, Kenda Klevers (stay away), didn’t seem loud or rough, but it’s night and day with these new Yokohamas. The Kendas also had a lot of chunking and cracking going on along with some internal sidewall damage so it will be interesting to see how these Yokohamas hold up. I would expect the rubber used in these to be much nicer than the Kendas.

View attachment 1758965

View attachment 1758966
How are the Yokahomas on the road during long trips after owning them fr a while?

How are the Yokahomas on the road during long trips after owning them fr a while?

I still can’t really fault them. I did get some vibes after rotating them, but they’ve since smoothed out. They’re still pretty quiet to the point where I am noticing sounds from other places...like I never realized my drivetrain produced so much noise. I’ll be heading out to eastern Utah and western Colorado on the 16th for a week long trip so they’ll get put through their paces once again so I’m looking forward to that.

@wngrog and @SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr

I just ordered some of these Yokohama MT's. Now that you have had them for a few more years how are they wearing?

Do you have the KM3's yet? If so can you offer a comparison? I am in need of three sets of tires right now and trying to make some decisions. Thanks.

I am running 7.5R16 KM3's on the City Racer Steelies. The City Racer wheels are phenomenal and the KM3's have been great both offroad and on-road. I've got no weird vibrations or balancing issues. I've only put about 2500 miles on them in the last year (probably about 150 of those wheeling/rock crawling) and I don't notice any appreciable tread wear. I can't speak to how loud they are because I have a 350 V8 in my 40 which drowns out anything but I don't hear a ton of road noise when coasting. I will say that the KM3's run VERY small to advertised size. My 7.5R16's should measure out to be about 32 - 32.5" and, on the truck, they measure out a full 2 inches smaller than that - they're roughly 31's, maybe a hair under.

I am running 7.5R16 KM3's on the City Racer Steelies. The City Racer wheels are phenomenal and the KM3's have been great both offroad and on-road. I've got no weird vibrations or balancing issues. I've only put about 2500 miles on them in the last year (probably about 150 of those wheeling/rock crawling) and I don't notice any appreciable tread wear. I can't speak to how loud they are because I have a 350 V8 in my 40 which drowns out anything but I don't hear a ton of road noise when coasting. I will say that the KM3's run VERY small to advertised size. My 7.5R16's should measure out to be about 32 - 32.5" and, on the truck, they measure out a full 2 inches smaller than that - they're roughly 31's, maybe a hair under.

Nolen said the same thing, which was one of the reasons he recommended the Yokohamas. But I thought he was referring to the 15" size but apparently not. It will be interesting to have an on road comparison of the two.

Yeah, I love the performance of the KM3 but they 750-16s I have on City Racer wheels are tiny... 1.5 to 2” shorter than my 235/85-16 Yokohama on same wheels and 3” shorter than the 255/85-16 on CR wheels.

KM3 255/85-16 are true to size though. Same as Yokohama

Nolen said the same thing, which was one of the reasons he recommended the Yokohamas. But I thought he was referring to the 15" size but apparently not. It will be interesting to have an on road comparison of the two.

Im a bad person to ask for long term high miles since I try to rotate my vehicles On driving and trips. None have more than 5000 miles on them I would guess

I don't put miles on my vehicles either. I think the most important thing for me, much more so than actual mud performance is how loud are they on the road and which one feels better than the other while on the highway. I rarely if ever go off road. More mall cruiser and ice cream getter.

They are not loud at all but KM3s are the quietest MTs I’ve ever owned. That said, it’s because of the rounded side lug and that’s what I dislike about the looks of them.

They are not loud at all but KM3s are the quietest MTs I’ve ever owned. That said, it’s because of the rounded side lug and that’s what I dislike about the looks of them.

Make sense. I look at the rounded lugs as a more modern look and the square look as a more period correct look or old school look. Thanks for the input.

@wngrog and @SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr

I just ordered some of these Yokohama MT's. Now that you have had them for a few more years how are they wearing?

I’ve about got 20k on mine. Still smooth but have gotten a little noisier. Still looking good, but no idea on an actual measurement as it’s 5 hours away from me in storage for the foreseeable future

I’ve about got 20k on mine. Still smooth but have gotten a little noisier. Still looking good, but no idea on an actual measurement as it’s 5 hours away from me in storage for the foreseeable future

That's great news! Since the cruiser only sees about 3-4K/year these tires will age out before they wear out.

And on.
IMG_3248.jpg

What kind of tire pressure are you running Rhodes yokos on 40 at w the hard top on? I’ve been fiddling around w my pressure lately on 7.5 x 16 yoko on my 82 40. Owners manual recommendations have not been bad. Which is something like 24 front and 28 rear w hard top for “general” driving. Off road reccs goes to something like 22f 26r and highway to 26f 30r.
thanks in advance, Mitch

What kind of tire pressure are you running Rhodes yokos on 40 at w the hard top on? I’ve been fiddling around w my pressure lately on 7.5 x 16 yoko on my 82 40. Owners manual recommendations have not been bad. Which is something like 24 front and 28 rear w hard top for “general” driving. Off road reccs goes to something like 22f 26r and highway to 26f 30r.
thanks in advance, Mitch

I chalk-tested my KM3's when I put them on. They're E-Rated tires so they really don't want to flex at all under the weight of the truck. I wound up with about 29PSI up front at about 27psi in the rear. That got me the flattest tread pattern (HardTop on, 350 V8 in the front so a touch lighter than the 2F)

Last edited:
Awesome tires. They are still pretty brand new, but I was surprised how quiet they are on the road. They handle the mud great. I'm really glad I bought these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom