Cigarette lighter resurection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Figured I'd post up some of my experiences as I try to get this thing ready for the trip. I spent a while wiring in a cb, my radar detector, generally cleaning it up and doing some maintenance.

I finally had the dash back in after the V-1 and cb install. Went to plug in my phone charger. Lighter totally dead. Applied some expert manipulation (jiggled it around) and still nothing.

OK, let's diagnose. The fuse is clearly good, as I just wired the radar and cb. OK, let's take a look at the unit. Pull the dash back off. In the process, break off the piece that was just holding on for dear life earlier. Begin inspection process:
- Take a pull of the trusty beer.
- Give the back of the lighter unit a good stare.
- Take a pull of the trusty beer.
- Give the unit a longer stare.

OK, nothing seems wrong. Expert opinion given. Well, let's see if there's anything blocking or stuck in the lighter. Look in with a flashlight. Nothing in the unit, but wait - the center pin is badly corroded. Could this be the issue? I try to scrape at it with a bunch of ineffective tools. frustrating. OK, inspiration strikes. I take a piece of sandpaper and cut it into about a 1 cm circle. Glue that on the end of a pen. begin to scrape the center pin of the lighter. Figure out that I can actually twist it and make some good progress. do this for a bit, interspersed with beer, and in a minute or two I have clean metal. OK, let's try the charger again. Success!

So all it took to bring the lighter back to life was a bit of sandpaper, a pen and some beer. I've read some guys replacing the unit. They might have had different experiences, but if you think about it there's not a lot that can actually go wrong. It's just a big circut, with the lighter or charger as resistor, with rust or a blockage as a likely culprit.

Hope this helps.

Nice job! Did you use a new fuse panel for the CB and Radar detector? And to be clear i want one, but it is a bit laughable in a cruiser... unless you go through school zones often...:rolleyes:

i want to see why mine doesn't light up... But i will probably steal your fix here and make sure the contacts are scrubbed while i'm at it.

rob

Haha, excellent story. That's exactly what I did when the bolts on my EGR cooler rounded off.

Steal away - glad it helped someone.

My truck was doing an indicated 75 today, with no correction for the 33s on it. I'll agree that we're not going to win any drag races, but 75 mph plus 33 inch bfg overgear can get you in some hot water most places in the country, and that's at normal highway speed limits. Plus, I just like knowing where the cops are when possible. The more data you can have as a driver the better off you are.

does your lighter push in, then pop out when hot?

i've cleaned the contacts in lighter receptacle with sand paper, and cleaned the plug itself in vinegar - that got it nice and shiny. the lighter works, but doesn't stay pushed in then 'pop' when ready.

sort of a dumb question, but i'm curious.
thanks
b

Many times I find a cold beer to be the most valuable tool at my disposal....:beer:

Completely missed the resurrection of my resurrection thread. Doing some work on the truck tomorrow to prep it for CMCC, so will check on this and let you know. Don't think I've ever actually tried to use the lighter since I got it, so it'll be an interesting experiment. If the truck explodes, I'll haunt you.

I'm just glad people are referring to the cigarette lighter and not the power port...

Did the same thing to my 40, the GPS was only powered intermittently. Need to hard-wire into the aux. fuse block one of these days. The center electrode can be cleaned on a regular basis with a pencil eraser, the old-fashioned red ones work best.

Update: yes, it pops out when you push it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom