Cigarette Lighter Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The cigarette lighter isn't working in my '70 FJ40, and I'm trying to remove it from the dash to inspect. I took the ashtray out to get access, but can't figure out how to free it from the dash. Anybody know? Thanks.

the rear section unscrews......
cigarette-lighters-0000032029-L copy.jpg

The cigarette lighter isn't working in my '70 FJ40, and I'm trying to remove it from the dash to inspect. I took the ashtray out to get access, but can't figure out how to free it from the dash. Anybody know? Thanks.
I found your post through a search since I'm trying to remove/repair/replace my cigarette lighter. I know I need to remove the threaded collar on the backside of the dash but that's the problem. I removed the ashtray but can barely reach the back of the cigarette lighter and can't get enough leverage to remove the collar. Tried using small pliers. Thinking about removing the stereo to get better access but don't know if that will be any easier. Any ideas before I just crush the lighter to remove it?

If your 40 has the plastic duct under the dash, you might be able to lower it so you can reach up and get to the lighter. Theres only a couple of screws holding it in place.

I tried to remove mine for repair/inspection a while back and gave up. I thi ni k the threads are boogered.

Has anyone just carefully chiseled/hammerd the socket inward and break the little collar grabbing the front of the dash? This might be my next step since it will be replaced anyways. Just worried it may hurt the dash metal?

It’s a biotsj to remove without scratching your dash
they get rusty in the threads.

just cut the flange with a dremmel

Back in the day I liked to hose out the interior of my rig after a particularly dirty/dusty off road trip, similar to hosing out the interior of a boat after a salt water trip. The two things that were not water proof were the cigarette lighter and horn button, sooooo I removed the guts behind the horn button and installed a marine water proof push button in the cigarette tighter hole to use as a horn button. Don't smoke, still have a horn, I'm happy.

Using the fj40 cigarette lighter would be the only reason I would smoke. Cause it is so cool!!!

If your 40 has the plastic duct under the dash, you might be able to lower it so you can reach up and get to the lighter. Theres only a couple of screws holding it in place.
Just wanted to thank you for this tip. There was only 1 screw securing the plastic air duct from the blower motor to the heater unit below the dash. I had the cigarette lighter removed 10 seconds after removing the plastic duct. It was incredibly easy. I've now replaced the cigarette lighter with a charging unit perfect for a phone. I had to sand some of the paint off the dash to get a good ground but it works great. Thanks again.

I want to replace it with a USB but it is rather nostalgic to have in there!
I agree, it completes the dash. I’ve considered tapping into the back side of the cigarette lighter and installing a USB port inside the pocket. Not sure why it wouldn’t work, but seems simple enough. keep it out of sight, yet there for todays speakers, cell phones and whatever else could use a charge.

Just wanted to thank you for this tip. There was only 1 screw securing the plastic air duct from the blower motor to the heater unit below the dash. I had the cigarette lighter removed 10 seconds after removing the plastic duct. It was incredibly easy. I've now replaced the cigarette lighter with a charging unit perfect for a phone. I had to sand some of the paint off the dash to get a good ground but it works great. Thanks again.

There should be 2 screws
20201222_014928.jpg

when installing a new light cig socket assy , after 40+ years replacing the pigtails butt connections should be considered par for the course and good measure for a high amp draw potential device

per the included sheet kanji jap instructions

oem green tint YAZAKI butt connectors were factory and what i only use to this day , i use the updated tinned brass ones so its marine grade spec. JIS ...

like so :

1608642330904.png
1608642195510.png

1608642359517.png

1608642384555.png

1608642405209.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom