Cigarette lighter blown but fuse OK

Shipwreck

 
 
 
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Messages
517
Location
The Saratoga slums, CA
This past weekend I tried to use a small DC/AC converter to run an air mattress pump and I blew the cigarette lighter. I have yet to take my multimeter to the wiring but I have checked the fuses along that circuit according to the factory electrical manual. The dash fuse as well as the fusible link under the hood are still OK. I pulled the lighter and there are no melted wires or connectors visible.
Before I start pulling things apart to search for fried wires I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has had a similar experience and where they located the problem. Anyone?
 

NorCalDoug

problems solved daily...
 
 
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
6,212
Location
uhhhh...duh...Northern CA
Just worked out that way this time...

I tend to start the search w/o specifying a forum, if I get too much garbage, then I fine tune. Sometimes it works. :)

I recall another thread on this topic in the 80s tech forum -- I didn't spend much time looking for it though.
 

Shipwreck

 
 
 
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Messages
517
Location
The Saratoga slums, CA
I just ran out to the truck in the parking lot at work. Sure enough, even though the link looked intact, I dug through the insulation and it was burnt through underneath. It looks like it'll be a PITA to replace that little link.
 
Top Bottom