Builds "Chunk+12ht" version 2.0 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Templates for a bowfin bumper me see?

Wow. That thing was beat. I can’t believe it was already repaired previously.

While you’re at it, you might want to consider reinforcing the towing eyes on bumper. Maybe add some 1/4” plate to it?
I agree. I hate how wimpy those are. I may even do thicker so the d ring isn't so sloppy in there

Templates for a bowfin bumper me see?
It is obsolete.....

If that were the case I definitely wouldn't do my cheesy stitch cut and bend. Works for me but I wouldn't ever sell that.

Is anybody running a warn 8274 on their old style ARB bumper? I can go figure it out but I am wondering which opening the line comes through? I will most definitely switch to a synthetic line so I will probably cut the roller mounts off but it would look nice to close up the unused opening on the front. Thanks!

My 80 bumper has these stout 3/4" thick clevis mounts tied back to the frame. I may not go that thick but they are nice.
20200107_215041.jpg

Oof! Glad you're bringing it back to life and stronger than before!

Here's what it looked like (before patching and powder coating) when I first acquired it. The guy I got it from said it came from "up North" and it showed.

i6i2KMt.jpg

Nice work, @dogfishlake !
You definitely warned me of what it was like. It will work out great like this so I am totally happy with it. Cheers!

I finally got an entire hour to work on the ARB bumper and roughed in the end area. Came out pretty good for a bunch of freehand work. The big trick will be getting the other side to match :wtf:
20200110_170339.jpg
20200110_170332.jpg

Progress made on the second side. More fitting and fabbing the end but going well.
20200112_121413.jpg
IMG_20200112_162706_124.jpg
IMG_20200112_162706_129.jpg

I can't think of a better bumper to put on it, ultimately.
An early-design ARB for 60 with much stronger corners and improved tow points.

So nice.
Thanks man, I think it's going to work out well. It will be getting a Warn 8274 winch too (via @Michael B ) to make for proper form while keeping great function. They are big ol' monsters but with a synthetic line I don't think it will be any heavier than any other winch. The 8274 looks great on the old bumpers that stick out from the front of the truck.

Waaay less production this weekend but some got done. A little more cut/polish on the paint.
20200119_212024.jpg

I did a quick video where you can see the front of the fender vs. The untouched hood

Lizzy's boyfriend has been helping me as well. He came over tonight and got the sound deadener mat done in the doors and quarters. Getting close to done on that project
20200119_211921.jpg
20200119_211802.jpg
20200119_211758.jpg

I have been slowly picking up steam on Chunk. Partly because I really want it done to enjoy, and partly because I don't feel like working on it anymore! Time has been really tough to free up and there are other Cruisers waiting to be worked on - a major distraction!

Anyhoo, yesterday I finished up the welding on the ARB bumper. I got it sandblasted then coated it with zinc rich epoxy powder. Next step will be to use filler on some of the deeper pits. Of all things, JB weld works great for a filler under powder coating. Once the rough stuff is filled, I will out a heavy layer of black powder on the bumper then sand it to smooth it out more, followed by a final top coat of satin black. It won't take as long as it sounds, really.
20200213_092826.jpg
20200213_161120.jpg

I bought some 1" think clevis mounts and welded them in against the inner structure where the bumper bolts to the truck frame. I think there will be a ton more beefy than the factory clevis mounts. I also cut off the old mounts.
20200213_092842.jpg

Today I did an experiment with coating the stainless trim around the door windows. I did them in satin black and I am really happy with it.
20200213_133609.jpg
20200213_133558.jpg

Also I am very nearly through the wet sanding and first compounding. I am ready to get that behind me!

Nice work Pat! I’ve been thinking about adding recovery points to my ARB too. How long are those clevis mounts?

Nice work Pat! I’ve been thinking about adding recovery points to my ARB too. How long are those clevis mounts?
4 1/2" total length.
20200213_201655.jpg
20200213_201723.jpg

I know I was taking a huge risk not using Amazon's "expert installation" option, but I got by.

Last edited:
I have been slowly picking up steam on Chunk. Partly because I really want it done to enjoy, and partly because I don't feel like working on it anymore! Time has been really tough to free up and there are other Cruisers waiting to be worked on - a major distraction!
So true! I feel the same way with my build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom