Dodge Chrysler TorqueFlite Tools? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

emtee

HAHA...Wait, Wut?
Threads
I have a collection of what appear to be SST's for work on a TorqueFlite transmission. I'm sure it's not a complete set of tools, but I have no way of knowing. They were literally buried in leaves/brambles/dirt in the rear end of an FJ40 that I rescued a few years back. I cleaned them up, put 'em in a box and promptly forgot about them.

If anybody's interested, I could post up some pics...

Thanks,

Mike Trippett #8270
Albany, OR
3x40's and a trailer...

Tools

Hi, just become a member - I'd like to see what the tools are if you could either post here or send via email? I've got a A904 to play with and the w/shop manual specifies many special tools!
Thanks

Dodge,

I'll see if I can find them when I get home tonight...I'm sure they're in the shop somewhere!

Dodge,

Found 'em...most of these appear to be Miller Mfg. tools. Heavy duty suckers; the whole lot weighs apx. 31 lbs. :eek:

Left to right from the upper circular tool in the middle, they are:
C-3527 Torque-Flite over-running Clutch Assy. gauge
SP-1786 (no other info)
C-293-3 (no other info)
*three tools in upper right corner have no markings*
next row:
C-3861 Remover front pump seal
C-3690 (no other info)
C-3753 Remover trans. main shaft seal
C-3757 Installer trans. front pump seal
C-3823 Driver & thimble trans. drive shaft seal
C-3754 Driver trans. main shaft seal
MD 998005 (no other info; may not be Miller)
C-3770 Installer & remover needle bearing
SP-3390 (no other info)
next row:
C-3762 Rear pump housing aligning
C-3864 Rear pump cover aligning
SP-5148 (says use with C-3550, which wasn't included)
C-3286 (no other info)
Snap-On S-9580 (crescent-shaped tool; no other info)
next row, bolt-shaped tool:
SP-3701 (no other info)

Hope this helps; I could do close-ups if you'd like more detail on them.

Later!

DSC_1697.jpg

Thanks for posting the Pictures, pity that none are the same part numbers as the bits I need. But while looking some of them up ( some did not list at all), the C-3861 shows up as for a A727, the C-3770 I found reference to on an alternator rebuild sheet ( as a roller bearing remover I think) and the Overrunning Clutch Assembly guage only came up on a forum entry - don't know what car it was for but the technical drawing the guy had done (which was really good) was annotated 488 torqueflite? SP3701 showed up as part of a SP5124 Puller set.
Hope this helps you to identify what they're all used on, all the best.

Dodge,

I appreciate the info! Sorry I couldn't help you out, but now I know a little more about what I've got here. :)

Take Care,

Dodge,

Found 'em...most of these appear to be Miller Mfg. tools. Heavy duty suckers; the whole lot weighs apx. 31 lbs. :eek:

Left to right from the upper circular tool in the middle, they are:
C-3527 Torque-Flite over-running Clutch Assy. gauge
SP-1786 (no other info)
C-293-3 (no other info)
*three tools in upper right corner have no markings*
next row:
C-3861 Remover front pump seal
C-3690 (no other info)
C-3753 Remover trans. main shaft seal
C-3757 Installer trans. front pump seal
C-3823 Driver & thimble trans. drive shaft seal
C-3754 Driver trans. main shaft seal
MD 998005 (no other info; may not be Miller)
C-3770 Installer & remover needle bearing
SP-3390 (no other info)
next row:
C-3762 Rear pump housing aligning
C-3864 Rear pump cover aligning
SP-5148 (says use with C-3550, which wasn't included)
C-3286 (no other info)
Snap-On S-9580 (crescent-shaped tool; no other info)
next row, bolt-shaped tool:
SP-3701 (no other info)

Hope this helps; I could do close-ups if you'd like more detail on them.

Later!
HI DO YOU STILL HAVE THE TRANSMISSION TOOLS?? THANKS SMITTY 301 937 4541

HI DO YOU STILL HAVE THE TRANSMISSION TOOLS?? THANKS SMITTY 301 937 4541

Smitty,

I believe so; it's been awhile, but I'll look for them if you're interested.

Mike Trippett #8270 Albany, Oregon
3x40's and a trailer...

I realize this is an old thread/ad but are any of those tools still available?
Jaded,
I believe I still have most of them... will have to check; hopefully can get to the shop tomorrow. Will let you know.

Thanks for replying. I was able to avoid, so far, the absolute need for all the special tools needed for this transmission. I even got around the "overrunning clutch fixture" tool.

But I'm still interested. Unless I screwed up on something it's highly unlikely this particular transmission will ever need to be rebuilt again given the low amount of miles I drive it every year. But, I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing to have them just in case someday a friend needs to borrow the tool.

Let me know when you find them.

Thanks again,

Wayne

Thanks for replying. I was able to avoid, so far, the absolute need for all the special tools needed for this transmission. I even got around the "overrunning clutch fixture" tool.

But I'm still interested. Unless I screwed up on something it's highly unlikely this particular transmission will ever need to be rebuilt again given the low amount of miles I drive it every year. But, I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing to have them just in case someday a friend needs to borrow the tool.

Let me know when you find them.

Thanks again,

Wayne
Wayne,

I found everything except the two right-most items on the top row of the picture above... they didn’t have any identifying marks, so no idea what I lost. 😂

That was probably part of a kit that, with a shouldered piece to
cobbled spring compresser.jpg
go with it compressed the clutch
return springs. The manual says to use an arbor press, I started out using my C clamps I normally use but this is a whole different return spring. The one has one very large spring and it take a lot of force to overcome it to release the snap ring and then it has to travel a long ways out. I was able to cobble together a compressor out of several old puller pieces that worked really well on both clutches. So do you have any idea what kind of money you want for them? Does this forum have a private message option? If so let me know on it.

Thanks,

Wayne
Thanks,

Wayne

Last edited:
That was probably part of a kit that, with a shouldered piece to View attachment 2479360go with it compressed the clutch
return springs. The manual says to use an arbor press, I started out using my C clamps I normally use but this is a whole different return spring. The one has one very large spring and it take a lot of force to overcome it to release the snap ring and then it has to travel a long ways out. I was able to cobble together a compressor out of several old puller pieces that worked really well on both clutches. So do you have any idea what kind of money you want for them? Does this forum have a private message option? If so let me know on it.

Thanks,

Wayne
Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne,

Sent you a PM (I think). Let me know if it made it to you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom