Chromo birfs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looks like Marlin is out of stock for now. No way I can afford 30 spline longs and it looks like they have 27 splines on sale for $400 for a pair.

How do these hold up with stock axles? Are the axles now the weak link? Sound investment or should I buy some stock pairs and save the pennies for the longs??

FYI: this will be my DD, wheeler soon to be SOA locked X2 on 35's (sorry I couldn't pull off the 37's)

your 2 cents is apprciated.

Clint

It's 630 for the SuperSet 30Spline Birfs and inners....You can afford $400 but not $630?? just grab a couple spare OEM birfs and take them with. Wait for the extra $230 to materialize and get the superset, and get some Marlin Inner seals too. And a knuckle rebuild kit with races and bearings while your in there...you only wanna do it once.

My 2 cents....

longs are not good for dd '10000'miles

X2!
I learned this when I got mine. Someone here pointed this fact out to me. They wear differently than the stockers.

Chicago

longs are not good for dd '10000'miles

For the 60-series it doesn't matter unless you always drive around in 4wd or with the hubs locked. Now an 80-series is different due to it being full-time 4wd.

A 60-series won't hardly wear the birfs unless you put a lot of miles on it in 4wd.

That's how I understand it. For a 60, keep the hubs unlocked unless needed, and wear on the Long's will be manageable.

If your intentions/plans are to go to 37s eventually then I'd hold off until the super set is attainable. Got anything you can sell on craiglist to help fund the set? Wheeling locked on 35s with a stick should be alright; I wouldn't get silly if you're not making a line.

What kind of lockers and are you still regearing? I am interested in those sets if you're changing them out (It'd be nice to take a spare 3rd to rubicon, I still have my 3.70s 3rds I could swap over).

Not planning on 37's for this truck. It has to be able to pull a tent trailer, 2 kids, wife, gear, bikes etc and 37's are just too much for the 2F and now with single income no way diesel will be anytime soon.

As far as gears and lockers my plan is 4.88's with ARB in front. I am running the 4.11's now with rear ARB. The gears are available after the birf party if you want them.

I guess what i am looking for is a bit more insurance to go to the rubicon this year but funds are still tight when you add up gears, lockers, SOA, Tires, and ancillary items. so yes $250 over and above all this is a stretch as I pay cash for everything.

I don't want to cut corners but I am really not sure that $650 for longs is money well spent considering what I do with the truck or plan on doing to the truck.

So the question is still out there as to if $400 for chromo birfs is worth it for some extra protection?? I do not plan on rebuilding this thing for a 4th time (yes I have been into this front axle 2 other times now) to add longs.

thanks

Clint

I just bought these..
"Better Than Stock" 4340 Chromoly Birfield This is an OEM style, 27-spline birfield made entirely out of 4340 chromoly material. The material upgrade makes this birfield much stronger than stock.
"Better Than Stock" 4340 Chromoly Birfield, $69 each, 140182-1Note: All Trail-Gear products carry a one year warranty against defects. This warranty covers defects in material and workmanship. An example of a covered defect would be a missed machining step that prevents installation or a significant internal material void. This warranty does not cover normal failure or breakage that is typical when using stock joints in extreme conditions. 4340 Chromoly Birfield joints will not hold up to extreme usage with oversized tires.

ran outta room.

We will see what happens. I am VERY hard on axles. Broke a birf with an open diff and 31's!!! :hillbilly: I will def. report back.
DSC00711.jpg

definately report back.

don't care for trail gear items but am sure you can find those elsewhere.

I am pretty sure at this point I just need to carry a spare stock and save my pennies.

Clint

definately report back.

don't care for trail gear items but am sure you can find those elsewhere.

I am pretty sure at this point I just need to carry a spare stock and save my pennies.

Clint

I agree to a point. Not too hot on their practices, BUT, it is hard to spend extra money when you dont have to. Especially since I am getting married in 4 months. If I just spent $155 to my door and these things hold up, Well......

Oh, and before I bought these, my best man in my wedding is a proffesional welder, and we were gonne try ringing our own birfs. Prob still will with the spares. Good info on pirate for that. Def. better than stock.:beer:

For the 60-series it doesn't matter unless you always drive around in 4wd or with the hubs locked. Now an 80-series is different due to it being full-time 4wd.

A 60-series won't hardly wear the birfs unless you put a lot of miles on it in 4wd.

That is what I thought, but someone on here said that wasnt the case...

Guess you cant take everything as gospel...

Chicago

I would bring a spare stock birf and spare inners, and save your pennies for an eventual 30 spline super set.

The stock inner axles are surprisingly strong, but if you're doing ChroMo birfs, I would do the whole thing right and be done with it.

Could you maybe fore go the front locker till you can get the longs?
Personally, I think youd be okay if youre gentle with your wheeling, but...It has always been the best option to do the longs with the locker in the front end. I was in this same spot last year....I just opted to be safe and nut up for the whole enchelada (locker and longs). I do still carry a spare set of front axels with me in the rig...Im a little paranoid I guess.
FWIW...Ive never wished for bigger than 35 in tires. 37 LOOK bad ass, but I dont believe theyre necessary.

Just my .02

Chicago

That's what I thought...until I wheeled a 40 with 39's...
It's funny how the "right line" doesn't matter as much..kinda like lockers vs. no lockers

FWIW...Ive never wished for bigger than 35 in tires. 37 LOOK bad ass, but I dont believe theyre necessary.

Just my .02

Chicago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom