Chrome vs Non-Chrome Piston Ring Help... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am rebuilding a 1990 1.6 Tracker motor prior to putting it into my SPOA 1987 Samurai. My question is what rings to use. I am having the block bored and honed to .75mm (30 thousandths) and the company I am looking to get my piston and rings from only offers chrome rings in the .75mm over size.

I have read that chrome rings take longer to seal, but last longer, but are harder on the cylinder walls??? True or myth???

Then the other question is, they are selling Hasting rings for $75.00 a set vs $45.00 a set for chrome non Hastings rings. Stick with chrome or look elsewhere for ductile iron?

The vehicle will be driven on and off-road...

Chrome rings transfer heat more efficiently with out deforming, reduce friction but do not to seat as well.....they are easy on cylinder walls thus reducing rebuilding cost net time around.

While gray cast iron is still cost-effective and commonly used in rebuilding older-style engines, it is more brittle and can break under extreme loads, and it can anneal or micro-weld to the piston much easier than a coated ring.

I prefer the cast rings myself as I like the "bite" into the cyl. wall reducing oil consumption rates...........

I have a little bit of experience with the Suzuki engines. I started Samurai Performance in 1995 and specialized in rebuilding the G1x series engines. Hands down, we never used anything but chromoly rings. The steel inserts in your aluminum block will hold up just fine. As far as oil blow-by, typically this is a non issue after 500-1000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom