Chrome plating costs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

merbesfield

SILVER Star
Threads
Does anyone have any experience with what it costs to have re-chroming done? Also any recommendations on platers? Let me know any info on costs you may know just to help. All platers I am considering require the goods to be in front of them, so basically once you send the parts you might as well give the ok. It would be nice to have some idea of costs so I know I am not getting ripped. :confused:

I get motorcycle parts chromed all the time, The chromers need to see the parts to judge what condition they are in, if they are pitted it is extra time to build up copper plate and buff the parts before final chrome plating, I have learned the hard way that if you a good deal on chrome plating it will probably have one coat of copper,buffed, chrome plated and out the door if your not fussy that will be fine but if you want a good job let them know ahead of time.
Pricing for your parts would be difficult for anyone but a plater but I get motorcycle rims no spokes or centers for $200 and sealholders for about $30 -40 per, headlight buckets for $60-75 kick start levers $25-35 small brackets $25-50 the prices vari because of condition, Hope this helps.

I get motorcycle parts chromed all the time, The chromers need to see the parts to judge what condition they are in, if they are pitted it is extra time to build up copper plate and buff the parts before final chrome plating, I have learned the hard way that if you a good deal on chrome plating it will probably have one coat of copper,buffed, chrome plated and out the door if your not fussy that will be fine but if you want a good job let them know ahead of time.
Pricing for your parts would be difficult for anyone but a plater but I get motorcycle rims no spokes or centers for $200 and sealholders for about $30 -40 per, headlight buckets for $60-75 kick start levers $25-35 small brackets $25-50 the prices vari because of condition, Hope this helps.

I totally understand them needing to see the piece. This helps greatly, keep them coming.

There is a chroming place in Fall River, MA. I know people from all over the country send everything to them. It's called Nu-chrome. I've heard they are by far the best in New England but not sure if shipping all the way here would make sense. They do a lot of custom car work.

superiorchrome.com in Texas did my hub cap restoration. They were $95 or so each, much less than anyone else and their work was as good as the work I had done at Paul's Chrome (SUPER expensive).

Here is a place 2 hours north of me in Canada.....this particular page on there site gives some examples of cost. I think the prices are in Canadian dollars, so would be a tad cheaper in u.s. funds.

http://www.thechromepit.com/pricing.asp

I've had some stuff done up there years ago, very reasonable and quite a bit less expensive that the U.S. since they don't have to meet the us EPA regulations.

They also have some info on the first page about international shipping also.

Hope this helps, Matt

While restoring a '63 datsun pick up, I had these guys do the chroming:

Oregon Plating Co. 436 S. E. Sixth Ave. Portland, OR , 97214-1103 Phone: 503-232-7416 FAX: 503-232-3543

Top notch work!

Here is a place 2 hours north of me in Canada.....this particular page on there site gives some examples of cost. I think the prices are in Canadian dollars, so would be a tad cheaper in u.s. funds.

http://www.thechromepit.com/pricing.asp

I've had some stuff done up there years ago, very reasonable and quite a bit less expensive that the U.S. since they don't have to meet the us EPA regulations.

They also have some info on the first page about international shipping also.

Hope this helps, Matt

Matt, This place sounds very interesting. I am a little worried about sending my chrome out because I have heard so many night mare tales. I did some research on the Nu-Chrome shop and found enough to scare the heck out of me. Do not use Nu-Chrome. See link below. I contacted the author to confirm this info and he returned my email to verify. He also went on to tell me that the another shop he has since used for another project has had his chrome for 13 weeks now so he is batting 1000 when it comes to picking chrome shops. How long ago did you use The Chrome Pit? I will keep researching I guess. :frown:

http://www.buyclassiccars.com/articles/55.asp

Matt, This place sounds very interesting. I am a little worried about sending my chrome out because I have heard so many night mare tales. I did some research on the Nu-Chrome shop and found enough to scare the heck out of me. Do not use Nu-Chrome. See link below. I contacted the author to confirm this info and he returned my email to verify. He also went on to tell me that the another shop he has since used for another project has had his chrome for 13 weeks now so he is batting 1000 when it comes to picking chrome shops. How long ago did you use The Chrome Pit? I will keep researching I guess. :frown:

http://www.buyclassiccars.com/articles/55.asp

I used them about 6 years ago, haven't had to chrome anything since then. I was up in Winnipeg last winter and drove past the place. Fairly good size outfit, they seem to do a lot of business. I only live 9 miles from Canada and I'm up there fairly often, so not that big of deal for me.

Even if you decide not to use them, figured it would give you a guide for pricing.

Matt

I think it is impressive that they even have a price list at all. No one seems to want to even mention pricing until you send the parts and then it is too late. Maybe they are more professional than most? If you are that close, I could always get you to go retrieve my parts if it came down to it?

Chrome

Mark, I have used:
Southern Bumper Exchange
512 Circle 85 St
Atlanta, GA 30349
(404) 761-5477

They are not that far from you and I. They started off expensive but after a little "dickering" they were reasonable. Let me know if you are going we may be able to get a volume discount. Regards...

I've only inquired to a local bike shop about rechroming & they said no problem, just bring 'er down. You may want to check them out:

Blue Ribbon Cycles
www.blueribbon-cycles.com
2137 Dixie Ave Se
Smyrna, GA 30080
(770) 432-3614

Dixie Ave. runs parallel to Atlanta Rd., just behind Dobbins AFB ;)

if you live in Europe, and need a nice chroming, ask them for a cost: en.cromkontakt.hu They're professional!!!

if you live in Europe, and need a nice chroming, ask them for a cost: en.cromkontakt.hu They're professional!!!

I don’t live in Europe. I live in USA. Specifically Georgia. I am a bit upset as the other day I went to collect my parts for preparation for chrome and it appears one of my door handles is missing. I hope I can find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom