Chrome grill under the black paint?????? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was told on the Lexus club site that under all the black paint would be a chrome grill if i used paint remover. I tried it last night and now my grill looks like it was on fire. is this true and do I have to due it some more? the paint is pretty thick and i im thinking im actually digging into the plastic itself. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hear that under the paint on the sheet metal is a layer of 24k gold. You just have to scrape enough off and you'll find it.

macneill said:
I hear that under the paint on the sheet metal is a layer of 24k gold. You just have to scrape enough off and you'll find it.

Macneill why dont you keep your smart ass comments to your self

There's a 2000 LC grill on eBay right now.

jersey1 said:

I'm so sorry, I was only trying to be helpful.

Since you are new here, you might want to get used to the ribbing. Maybe they don't do it as much on the Lexus site, but here it's fairly rampant.

Hey, have you tried a heat gun yet? Might get down to the chrome a little quicker. Just be careful around the gold emblem.

Welcome! :flipoff2:

jersey1 said:
I was told on the Lexus club site that under all the black paint would be a chrome grill if i used paint remover. I tried it last night and now my grill looks like it was on fire. is this true and do I have to due it some more? the paint is pretty thick and i im thinking im actually digging into the plastic itself. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't see a signature so do you have a LC or a LX?? I know that the early years of the LX are definitely this way. It has worked fine for many a person on the Lexus board. Describe "on fire" a little better too; maybe we can figure it out. If you are doing this on an LX, then definitely get the people in that thread's advice.

TAD

chill out man, newbies talking crap dont get a warm and fuzzy welcome.......

if ya can't take a little kiddin.........your in the wrong place.

and to be honest, I am interested in this topic as I like a wee bit of bling bling on the LX

jersey1 said:

pimp, the '99 LX definitely has the chrome underneath.

got any pics of what it would look like?

tabraha said:
pimp, the '99 LX definitely has the chrome underneath.

macneill said:
I'm so sorry, I was only trying to be helpful.

Since you are new here, you might want to get used to the ribbing. Maybe they don't do it as much on the Lexus site, but here it's fairly rampant.

Hey, have you tried a heat gun yet? Might get down to the chrome a little quicker. Just be careful around the gold emblem.

Welcome! :flipoff2:

No hard feelings bro!!!!!!!!!!

hey........I like that :)

I was a NO chrome guy for years.....now I kinda like the bling bling even on my fj40

87814749.jpg

99-04 superdutys are like that. Use remover on the grill and theres chrome underneath.. It'll never look as good as a factory chrome grill though. You probably should've tried it on the underside first. Worst case just repaint it.

I like the '03-'05 grill but don't want to spend the coin for it. I photoshopped an early grill with the two bars chromed out (kinda similiar to the '03-'05 grill) just to see what it would look like.
grill2.jpg

Here's the '03-'03 grill for comparison.
711705_2.jpg

Landpimp said:
hey........I like that :)

I was a NO chrome guy for years.....now I kinda like the bling bling even on my fj40

87814749.jpg

Pimp - looks like you changed out the wheels for chrome ones to match the grill as well ...... looks nice, but I really liked the old painted wheels you had on there as well

:cheers:

I did, I have a set of hub cap wheels I am prolly gonna run sometimes

Montana Cruiser said:
Pimp - looks like you changed out the wheels for chrome ones to match the grill as well ...... looks nice, but I really liked the old painted wheels you had on there as well

:cheers:

Pigeon said:
Did you ever end up finding chrome underneath?

Nah, just fool's gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom