Christmas Tree Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

C6H12O6

SILVER Star
Threads
Cascade Cruisers 69th Annual Christmas Tree Run
Saturday, December 1, 2018

I know this run is usually on Sunday, but my daughter has practice for the Christmas program at church on Sunday. Since nobody else wanted to lead this trip, I volunteered, so I get to pick the date. Sorry to break with tradition.

Tree permits will be available online starting November 19. Click here for more information. The link for the permit sales isn't live yet, but should be after 11/19.

I'll go up and scout around a bit at our usual spot over Thanksgiving weekend, but there probably isn't any snow up there now. There is rain in the forecast for next weekend, so we might get a little something out of it at higher elevations. We'll see. I'll post up details on when and where to meet up once I have a better idea of whether we're heading up to Goat Mountain.

We'll probably start around 9:00 and be done early, if you need to get it on your calendar. All are welcome. We can sort out food later, but I can bring a dutch oven if somebody has the fancy hanger for over the campfire.

I am looking forward to this! The stars are beginning to align and I only have 2 conflicts for this event! That makes me at least 50% likely to attend.

If a 60 is 2/3 ready, does that make it a 40?
I've referred to my 80 as a 60 before since a locker was non functional, so i think your logic is sound

Just got back from a scouting mission. There's a little bit of snow on the sides of the road down low, then a bit more on the road as you turn off to head up to the lake. There's more snow on the road the higher you go up to the tree spot, but not much. You're still driving on gravel most of the way. We continued around the back side of the hill and the snow was deeper (6"?) on the shady side. Ended up at the rock pit and there was a decent amount of snow up there, though the trees aren't as good.

I'll finalize plans and post up tomorrow, but with the rain coming this week, there should be at least a little more snow up there by next weekend.

Ok, here is the info:

Meet-up: Carver Boat Ramp, 9:00 a.m. (unless people really need to hit the ranger station for a permit - post up)

Tree Permits: Permits are available online this year and the site is now active. I'd rather not waste time at the ranger station, so click here for the online permit system. It's $5 per tree. If anybody can't get the online system to work for them ahead of time, post up here and let everybody know. Also, if you have a kid in 4th grade, they can get a free Christmas tree permit, along with the Every Kid in a Park pass that gets the family into all the national parks. Check it out.

Plan: We'll head up to the original Goat Mountain spot for trees, then up to the rock pit to play around afterward. Everybody seems to like the noble firs, and the trees seem to be better on the sunny side of the hill. I'll bring a Dutch oven for chili if people want to bring a can or two along to throw into the pot. I don't have the fancy over-the-fire-tripod, but we should be able to rig something up. If anybody has firewood, bring some.

Hopefully, it stays cold enough in the mountains when the rain shows up later this week. We should get a fair amount of snow to add to what's up there now.

Just across the bridge at the little town of Carver off the Estacada Hwy.

14888 S Springwater Road
Oregon City, OR 97045

If we go up that side of the river, there is almost zero other traffic, and the road eventually (sort of) becomes the road up to Goat Mtn. Plus, it’s prettier and I hate driving through Incestacada.

Here you go: LMGTFY

I guess I could have done that. In my defense, I'm not from around there. I just assumed it was some common meetup point that everyone should just know.

Just across the bridge at the little town of Carver off the Estacada Hwy.

14888 S Springwater Road
Oregon City, OR 97045

If we go up that side of the river, there is almost zero other traffic, and the road eventually (sort of) becomes the road up to Goat Mtn. Plus, it’s prettier and I hate driving through Incestacada.

Cool. Thanks!

Looks like we'll be able to make this. Truck is getting the front gears swapped out now so I'll have 4wd again.

Arg! now I have 3 conflicts for tomorrow! This last one is a BIG one. The Timbers won the Western Conference Championship, so they are going on the the MLS Cup in Atlanta in a week. The tickets go on sale tomorrow at 10am and there is no way I am getting service on Goat Mtn to purchase...

Still on the fence, leaning in the wind...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom