Christmas tree dash lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I bought my first LC a 2000 MY with 187k that runs and drives nice. After I pay cash for it and drive it home for about 15 minutes the ABS light comes on and the two VSC lights. There was no buzzer sound and no outside noise from the truck because I had the Windows down. Any ideas where to start? I paid cash for it from a wholesale lot so I don't think I can return it at this point? Should I run in fear or hang I'll in there?

If you decide to keep it, I would start with: 1) plugging in an OBDII scanner to see if any trouble codes show up; 2) looking at the vehicle history on both the Toyota Owners web site and on Carfax; and then 3) running some searches here on MUD with the symptoms.

In looking at the laws in LA and since I bought it as is I can't return it and I don't really want to. It's just a little disconcerning to see the lights for the abs pop up which worst case scenario is the most expensive repair there is if the module goes out. I have the carfax which is very well documented so no worries there. I know a mechanic who has a shop so I will probably drop it off on Monday and just have him look at it and he can give me a heads up as to what is going on.

Mine is a 2004 so may be different but my vsc light and vsc off light as well as my check engine light came on. It was the gear selector sensor. It only acted up when it rained or went through car wash.

All that said I'd call and see if they would do anything to help. Not sure if they have a good reputation but...never hurts to ask!

Sent from my iPhone

2005 Lexus LX470

That combination of dash lights can indicate any number of things. As mentioned, ODBII/Techstream it to find the trouble code(s). The ambiguity of not knowing is going to drive you crazy. If you haven't baselined it, many shops will include a complimentary diagnostic.

Go to autozone and have them read the code for you. Will cost $0 and should get you pointed in the right direction.

Autozone (or other auto store) would plug in their scanner for free and tell you the error code. Then you can do a search here for that code.

Thanks for everyone's responses. I will probably run by AutoZone tomorrow and get them to read the code to give me piece of mind.

Thank you

OBD codes are unlikely to help. You need to read the abs/vsc error codes by putting a jumper in the diagnostic connector. You'll want the FSM to follow the diagnostic procedures.

Could be something as simple as an abs sensor, but guessing or just throwing parts at it doesn't make sense.

Hey Ryan! Glad to see you in here. Hopefully you can get this solved with minimal head aches. Chat with you soon.

-Josh

OBD codes are unlikely to help. You need to read the abs/vsc error codes by putting a jumper in the diagnostic connector. You'll want the FSM to follow the diagnostic procedures.
Reading ABS codes through the DLC is standard practice - as long as you are using an ABS capable device or Techstream. Manually pulling codes obviously works too.

Yes, Autozone as stated. It's probably not that big of a deal. Hopefully.

I think I know what you mean by wholesale, but want to clarify what you mean- you bought it from an auction directly without driving it? If so, it is possible that the PO/shop cleared the codes right before auction. They can take up to 50 miles to come back on while all systems are getting "Ready". I guess this is a reminder to future buyers to make sure you drive the vehicle around for awhile and/or bring a scanner/scangauge to check the codes and system status while test driving (well not while physically driving, but pull over HA)

It was a wholesale dealer. I was able to test drive it however my test drive was probably 10 minutes or less and no codes popped up.

Reading ABS codes through the DLC is standard practice - as long as you are using an ABS capable device or Techstream. Manually pulling codes obviously works too.
Sorry, I've not had use of a code reader with the ability to read Toyota abs codes, I have a generic obdii reader and jumper pins to do the diagnostics per the FSM. Maybe I should look into a techstream? Absent of that, any of us can still read codes with a simple paperclip and do diagnostics with readily available FSM info.

Ryan, strangely enough I used to get that combination of lights before I had the rust and leak around my front windshield repaired. Water would get into the overhead panel and cause those funky chicken dash lights. When it dried out, the lights would go back to normal.

Do you have corrosion or a possible leak around the top? Was there rain or excessive condensation the day you picked it up?

Pull the overhead panel and check for water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom