Chrcoal canister fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just de smogged my fj60. Do I need to do anything with the Charcoal canister.

Give it to me...! :D

That is one thing you want to leave in place. If you already removed it, put it back in. I don't remember exactly what it does, something to do with return flow to the tank, but it is completely independent of emissions stuff.

Actually the charcoal canister is a part of the emissions eguipment. It scavenges fuel from fuel vapors via a valve when your engine is idling or at low RPM. When the RPM's go up the valve will allow the fuel vapors to be drawn from the canister to the carb/manifold.

you absolutely want to hang onto that. In fact, you might want to pull it off and make sure the hoses are good and the bottom partion isn't too rusty. I had both problems, and both problems led to copious fuel spillage and strong odors and oh sh*t i'm losing fuel and visions of a big firebomb on 36's....

anyway, check it out, but hang onto it. btw, i'm desmogged, too.

blumel

k i'll admit it. I am a n0000b at this, but is this the reason for a strong odor of fuel in my  85 FJ60 sometimes? i even re-sealed the trap door under the rug ( in the way back) when it first happened.

Where is this charcoal canister and what does it look like. Soundslike I need to put new "KINGSFORD" coal in it.  ;)

Thanks to all who put this Forum together it has been a real help. I am new to it. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The charcoal canister is on passenger side firewall--black, and a little smaller than a Quaker Oats can. It can smell bad if leaking (usally hose elbow on top), but if your odor is in the back, to me your problem sounds like a leak near the filler tube. Take the panel off inside your cargo area where the gas filler tube is and look around all those hoses for leaks--that's probably where you smell is coming from.

In my Haynes it says to "renew" charcoal canister every 50k miles. I have either 89k or 189k so I'm either overdue or waaay overdue. How do you renew a charcoal canister?

Makes sense thanks! Any idea where to get a replacement? Or does it matter? I’ve noticed the gas smell on starting and also get the big woooosh when I take the gas cap off. Would this be caused by a worn out charcoal canister?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom