Choosing OME Springs for BP-51 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.thisglobaljourney.com
I'm heading down to South Africa in July to get my Cruiser kitted out. Right now I'm ordering my BP-51 suspension for my 200 GX-R, but need to choose a correct spring rate.

I'll be purchasing a front bull bar w/winch and skids, as well as a rear bar with single swing out for the spare. I tow an off-road caravan quite regularly in the bush, at least every other week, as well as long trips. I also regularly have 3 kids & carseats and 2 adults in the cruiser. On bush trips, it's not unusual to carry more in the back as well.

Does anyone have some recommendations for me as to which rear springs to go for? I like the idea of progressive springs, but not sure if they make them.

Thanks in advance!

At least an OME 2724 or a 2723 with airbags, IMO.

I have a similar load/distribution (heavy drawers instead of bumper) in mine and recently upgraded from 2722 to 2723 and it was perfect. I seldom tow when camping but when I do, it is just my little M101A1 trailer. When I upgrade the bumper or put in an aux tank, I will immediately switch to at least 2724.

2724 ...just for load.

For towing? You don’t mention tongue weight....

@Markuson, I'm not quite sure what the tongue weight is. I have nothing with which to measure it. When the caravan is fully loaded, I can pick the tongue up, but it is heavy. On stock springs I'd reckon the cruiser settles an inch or so.

@Markuson, I'm not quite sure what the tongue weight is. I have nothing with which to measure it. When the caravan is fully loaded, I can pick the tongue up, but it is heavy. On stock springs I'd reckon the cruiser settles an inch or so.
If you can pick up the tongue then it's not that heavy. Maybe 120-150#? Stock springs on the 200 are 170#/in so if it settles 1" then that's probably about right. FWIW the tongue on my trailer is 780# and settles about 3" even with 240#/in springs.

My Tough Dog setup has constant 240#/in springs. It's fine for light loads and would have no issue with your trailer, and probably similar in overall performance to the OME 2722 2721 progressive springs. When I'm not towing I find the truck feels best with about 200# of stuff in the trunk, along with ~250# of children in the 2nd row. But I don't have a rear bumper yet. OME2723 are 340#/in springs and would be overkill for my setup now, but probably spot-on for yours. I agree that a set of air bags that you can adjust depending on the load is a great compromise, particularly since your trailer is light enough you're not using a weight distribution hitch.

That said many of the folks on this forum want maximum lift when loaded down and opt for the 2724s, since they don't compress as easily. If you're planning to add drawers, carry two spares, etc then you might want the 2724. OTOH if you run mostly unloaded except for the trailer, you might find the 2724s transfer too much of the road into the vehicle.

FYI the OME 2723 is supposed to be for constant loads of up to 440#, while the 2724 is for constant loads of up to 880#, and the 2725 is for up to 1300#. Also the Project 200 guys fitted their rig with 340# rear springs and 675# front springs and we able to get a GVM upgrade of 500kg/1200#, so I don't think the 2723s are a slouch.

Last edited:
[Deleted]

Last edited:
I spoke with the OME dealer in Joburg and he recommended the medium springs as well. He couldn't tell me the number, but said they were for constant loads of around 200kg, which being about 440lbs, sounds like the 2723 springs to me. Thanks for all the help @Markuson and @linuxgod!

I got my 200 back yesterday with BP-51s and 2723 springs installed. I have the RLC rear bumper with tire swing and ARB drawers in the rear and it now sits like a stink bug a sold 2-3" higher in the rear. Should I go down to 2722 or 2721 or stock with some kind of spacer.

The ride is awesome and I would say far improved over OEM on bumps large and small. The spring rate even feels correct in the rear, they're just too tall.

I took it to the alignment shop this morning before measuring. I'll measure when I get it back.

I removed the rear seats when I installed the drawers. I'm guessing my drawers plus their contents are close to the weight of the seats replaced. This is my daily driver, so I take all the unnecessary camping gear out of the drawers when I'm not camping. After thinking about it, I'm probably about 125# heavier than stock which is just the bumper weight. Far short of the 440# the 2723s are made for.

You said “the ride is awesome.”

So leave it...unless you feel the front is too soft. If it is...you can add a bit of preload to the front coilover ring.

Load the truck and drawers as you intend to travel with and see.

You really don’t want it level unladen...or you are giving away important down-travel in front.

How much preload is on your front coulovers now? You can determine this by simply measuring the space at the top of your strut where the BP-51 adjustment ring is. Measure the space where you see threads. Is it flush (no threads showing under the top-most ring)? If the top most ring is flush with the rest of the Strat… Then it means there is zero preload. You didn’t mention front bumper wait or any other modifications in front so I don’t know what your situation there is. If your front wait is basically stock, I would still put in at least 5 mm of preload. 5 mm of additional preload will raise the front slightly, but will have very little effect on the ride… Which you say you are happy with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom