Choke Plate will not close. Anyone with a linkare picture for Reference? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I'm new here, but I do know what the search feature is for. Let me fill you on my LC. I have a 1983 FJ60 that originally hailed from California. I have recently removed the smog equipment because it was not working correctly, installed a header, rebuilt the carburetor, changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter and the fuel filter. The key here is the carb rebuild. I'm 90% sure all my vacuum stuff is good from the various threads I've read about the smog delete stuff, but my major issue is that when I pull the choke cable the plate does not move.

Let me get the obvious questions out of the way;

Yes the cable is connected , but I would like to see a picture of how it connects to the carb.

My accelerator pedal and linkage seem to work fine.

No I have not tried to start the cruiser yet.
My main concern is the linkage on the aft side of the carb. I have a feeling that something there is not correct. I would really like to get this figured out soon it is the only thing preventing me from turning that key and you guys probably know how this feels!

Could the screw associated with the idle when the choke is pulled have an effect on whether the plate would rotate or not?

I'm stealing this picture from a desmog thread but my linkage does look like this.
attachment.php

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to respond. I'm pretty new to wrenching on FJ60's or Land Cruisers (not new to turning wrenches though), but honestly I'm in love with this rig and I'm dying to get it back on the street.

Thanks,

Cliff

the lead barrel on the end of the cable fits into the linkage where it's circled in red. You also have to clamp the cable housing at the right side of the carb below where the arrow is pointing.
choke connection.jpg

This has been done; however when I pull on the choke knob in the cab the part it connects to turns but not the part the choke plate is connected to.

So the shaft that the choke plate is held to (with the brass screws), it does not rotate.

Maybe this will help. This is a picture of the carb as I have it set up. I know I'm missing something somewhere, but I don't know enough about this carb to figure it out.

I'm sure I'll be doing this :)doh:) when it's over.

4569866056_ba8b2eba43.jpg

If you move the outboard linkage in the direction of the red arrow, does the choke close? It should.

The two diaphragms on the left hand side of the picture are for the choke breaker and choke opener. Both are used to open the choke plate even when the choke cable is pulled in. The choke linkage where the cable connects is concentric to the choke shaft and there is a spring that lets the choke plate open even if the choke cable is pulled. maybe your spring is broken or not installed correctly.
choke connection 2.jpg

Thanks for the info. Tomorrow I'm going to try and see what happens when I swap the spring that in the bottom of my picture with the sprint that I have connected to my accelerator linkage. Maybe this is my problem.

I'll you know how it goes.

If you move the outboard linkage in the direction of the red arrow, does the choke close? It should.

Yes when the part you drew the arrow on moves the choke plate closes and opens.

Does anyone else have any insight I'm pretty much at a loss with this thing? I'm going to play around with the spring and see what happens, but I'm look for ideas because I don't have any.

there are two torsion springs associated with the choke. The inboard one is for the choke cable to close the plate. The spring attaches to the nibs identified by the red arrows. The outboard spring is for choke opener and choke breaker to open the choke plate when the cable is pulled. This spring attaches where the yellow arrows are pointing.
choke springs.jpg

This is what I needed I believe that both springs are located on the inboard linkage at the moment; I will fix that and I think that will do it. The other option is that the outboard spring is not connected to the "nub" on the inboard linkage.

Hrm...I think my Land Cruiser will start today! First time in two months and this makes me very excited especially with all the tune up and upgrades.

EDIT: In my previous picture it is obvious that I'm missing the outboard spring and I bet this is my problem.

2mbb,

Thank you for your help with this spring. It was not attached to the outboard linkage. As soon as I located the hook on the end of the spring I hooked it up and turned the key...nothing happened of course since the cruiser has sat for two months with the battery not in a secure location to keep a charge...

...I hooked the battery in my VW Quantum Wagon up to my LC and let it charge for about 20 minutes...pulled the working choke lever and the land cruiser almost immediately started and ran with almost no help with the accelerator. Now I need to get the exhaust hooked up since the header does not mate with the stock exhaust, and I need to rid myself of the cat because the smog equipment is removed.

SO THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. :cheers:,

Cliff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom