Choke Knob on a 1987 HJ61?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So... I have a funny question... why is there, what appears to be, a choke on my 1987 HJ61?

I searched the mud forum for about the last 30 min and havent figured out what the heck that thing is... I have never seen something like that on a diesel before! ... could be ignorance, could be a dumb question... I tried looking for the actual Owners Manual for that bad boy, mainly because that would be cool to have, but also to see if it addressed my choke question.

Any ideas??

I have never seen something like that on a diesel before!

All the older style diesels had them and all it does is makes the engine run faster. It is used for a number of reasons.
1 to help keep the engine running on cold start
2 to adjust engine speed for the PTO to run various items
3 it is useful on rough terrain to maintain a steady speed.
Simply turn it either way to speed up or slow the engine rpm. It is connected to the accelerator pedal.
Dont use it on the road as a cheap cruise control

Current model 7* series still have them but they are electronically controlled and only have 2 speeds.

Turning it right and left to control rpm would be cool. I haven't seen that type.

If yours is like my 86, you pull it out to increase speed then turn ½ turn to the right to lock it in position. To unlock it, twist left and it releases.

It also releases when you press on the accelerator, which is why it kind of works ok as a semi-dangerous cruise control.
I agree it's not in the "best practices" manual, but it sure is nice for giving your right leg a short rest after an all day drive on a mountain highway.

So... I have a funny question... why is there, what appears to be, a choke on my 1987 HJ61?

I searched the mud forum for about the last 30 min and havent figured out what the heck that thing is... I have never seen something like that on a diesel before! ... could be ignorance, could be a dumb question... I tried looking for the actual Owners Manual for that bad boy, mainly because that would be cool to have, but also to see if it addressed my choke question.

Any ideas??

Does your Pull Knob in question Look Something Like This Specimen i have in My Collection ?

s-l1600123456.jpg
s-l1600123.jpg

It would look like that. Ive only seen the pull type on N/American landcruisers

My CDN BJ70 has the screw type and I've installed the same type on my FZJ80 and HDJ81.
I find the screw type far superior to the pull type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom