Choke cable variations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
well, I finished up sorting out all the different PCV hoses and breathers and decided to dive into the next snake pit, the cables. I'm gonna look to @RAGINGMATT for the ultimate breakout list on these, as my last phone call with him made me keenly aware he's got this little niche mastered.
IMG_0894.JPG

First up we have the early thru 1966, no dash pad variety. Marked by a large smooth,domed head and lettering. Bare spiral sheath, solid core

IMG_0895.JPG

Second are the 9/66-7/70 variety, marked by the large unframed choke butterfly inside a recessed head. Bare spiral sheath, solid core.

IMG_0896.JPG

Last edited:
The 7/70-9/73 variety had the same choke butterfly symbol, but it was put inside a rectangular box, again inside a recessed head.

IMG_0897.JPG

Last edited:
The FJ55s of this era had their own cable, with a smaller domed head and a slightly different version of the boxed throttle plate. Bare spiral sheath, solid core.

IMG_0898.JPG

The 9/73-7/80 cables all look the same from the knob. Beveled and tapered head with letters. The earlier ones were bare spiral sheath with solid core, while the later model had a vinyl clad sheath and stranded wire core.

Additionally, these cables had detents. One version had a single detent; the other was multi-position. I could use some help in identifying which was the earlier, and which was the later. The FJ55 version was apparantly a few inches longer than the 40.
IMG_0899.JPG

Last edited:
Lastly, I have the FJ60 cable, which incorporates a switch for a warning light. Vinyl clad sheath, stranded wire core, with a trunnion end at the carburetor.

It is my understanding that the FJ40 version for this timeframe shared the trunnion feature.

IMG_0900.JPG

Lastly, I have the FJ60 cable, which incorporates a switch for a warning light. Vinyl clad sheath, stranded wire core, with a trunnion end at the carburetor.
View attachment 1395707

Early FJ60 cables did not have a switch for the warning light. Don't know when the choke light was added, 1983 maybe?

Early FJ60 cables did not have a switch for the warning light. Don't know when the choke light was added, 1983 maybe?

Do you think that is the other cable pictured, the one with the symbol?

I am not an expert on this; just a hoarder with a nice collection of trading bait to help make much larger sales...or trades of interest.

Last edited:
Do you think that is the other cable pictured, the one with the symbol?

I am not an expert on this; just a hoarder with a nice collection of trading bait to make larger sales...or trades of interest.

I don't think the other one, symbol only, is a from a FJ60. I've only had a few FJ60s pass through my hands, '81, '84, '85, and '86, and all had CHOKE on the knob. The '81 was the one without the choke light, all other years had it.

82-84 40 series choke knob was illuminated when pulled.

Believe the "earlier" 60s had this feature as well, until 1984

Cool. Maybe this will make the FAQ list.

Mark,
My 10/73 has the same knob with the word choke as Johnny C does (75-80 pattern). It also has the fresh pull, warm pull, wiper marked knobs of the period. Of course it also has marker light holes in the bib with out marker lights which is not correct for its vintage...
HTH,
Will

At some point I might decide to actually look at the microfiche. For now owner input will suffice.

FWIW, I seem to recall the heater switch knobs changing over in '74, which is in line with what you and JohnnyC are saying about the choke cable.

Interesting. My 6/71 build date fj40 has a choke cable with the butterfly in the box that you indicate was 73-74. I would've thought that my choke cable was stock for my year.

B8r8TU_f2l2Db3ou4DYdtubVOWKq5eaux3mh9nqIfYdb7RpJLgFWVI6CWs_nO7n3tr9FPR1XRz3CoFCjavmKR2ixDEGhTOy-KR1UeHajmXF6xML-gf-WI6sACJC_9YvWO9c14w

S3SF2mq9qhHNz-ganLtun2vKRrAG7YDG9GaCDmFcQCXX0om5LuDk1Dv4o3XtLa02c9uVdtl_iMnq_F60QycRV-V5pS9S2uYhDo3ggu8uaLegBuF2wQtMWOmNPpB0XZQdKhUapw

I'm sure that many Cruisers have had the choke cable replaced over the years. My 2/71 has an early choke cable installed. No idea which PO did it. It wasn't my brother or me.

Questions about the 82-84 illuminated choke cable. Same bulb as a headlight switch by chance?
Anyone got one for sale or have a good picture of one?

Timelines have been adjusted. Thanks for the input guys.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom