Choices for a purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What would you guys do?

Same year and same general condition. Both rust free and decent paint

first one: solid motor with 190k but needs transmission (A440). $6000

second one solid motor and working trans with 190k. $9000.

I’m leaning towards the first and trying to get the price down.

i suspect a rebuilt trans is better than the unknown trans at similar miles, but I suspect I’ll need 4-5k to get the trans rebuilt.

There are so many 62's getting H55's swapped I would think you could get a working trans for cheap. I would hope less than $1000 but I don't follow the classifieds. Or if you do the work yourself the H55 swap isn't that much more than $3000 in parts - so there ya go if you want a manual trans.

If I can actually manage to get some virus related time off of work I'll have a working A440 for sale - but it's not looking likely.

The transmission is the 'weak' point on these cruisers. only having a 4 speed is a big drawback in modern traffic. the auto is clunky and rebuild is expensive. the H55f is a fairly bolt on transmission and will add value to the rig. That being said, its a manual and I remember you saying you would prefer an automatic. A rebuild of the A440 is costly and if you ever intend to swap the engine, that money might be better spent toward a V8 swap. A rebuild of the A440 is going to be over $4k. Have you driven a 60 series? A 100 series would be a better, more modern option, but it isn't as cool as a 60 series. My goal isn't to talk you out of a 60 series, but just to give as much info as possible so you don't get in over your head.

What year are the trucks? I have a 4spd from an 87 with 165k miles on it that I need to sell. It’ll bolt into an 11/84 or later 60 without any fuss. I don’t have the transfer case though and I suspect you’ll need one.

Edit: somehow I totally missed that these were 62s, my bad!

Last edited:
I'd get the the one with blown automatic and do an H55 swap. It will increase the value and you can get one brand new.

There are threads in here that detail all you will need for the swap and how to do it yourself if you want. I'm a so-so shade tree mechanic, and I'd feel comfortable doing the swap.

i love my h55 in my 62. i’d go for the one with a bad tranny and put that extra into a h55 swap. you’ll have a better ride and be a little money in the bank. my two cents (which is not worth much these days in canadian dollars)

Wondering if the tranny is actually blown? Could be a non cruiser head that dont really know or understand these rigs. I'll go for that one and start baselining

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom