chitown's new ride (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys and girls. Up until now I haven't had much reason to be here in the 80's section, since all my junk was carburated, but I decided to take the plunge and step up with the big dogs. I traded my '77 FJ40 for a '97 FZJ80 Collector's Edition last friday. I was waffling on selling the 40 for a while, so I placed up an ad on craigslist a few weeks back with not much interest around here. I had a few bucks into the 40, so my asking price was on the high side, and even though my truck looked like many of the high priced stockers on eBay and all, I still had the 350 in it which made it less desirable for folks looking in my price range. So anyway, one night I was about to head home from work but saw traffic on I-94 was like 2 hours into the city, so I sat at the computer and started looking for 80's again on eBay. Found one right on the way home of my alternate route, and decided to check it out. The truck looked great except for a few minor issues (broken antenna, couple cracks in the leather, screaching a/c tensioner), so I decided to take it for a quick ride. Lockers engaged right away, steering was nice and tight, good power (for a 1FZE), and crisp shifting transmission. Knuckles looked pretty good (only a little crud on one of them) and no clicking. Windshield had a crack along the wiper area, but not real bad. Best of all, no leaks anywhere. So I told the guy I'd come back in the morning to see it again. Came back the next day, driving the 40 in to the guy's warehouse. Turns out the guy was interested in my 40 as well. I actually had a guy offer to buy it over the summer when I driving around one night, but I told him it wasn't for sale. Turns out it was the same guy. How' s that for luck. Long story short, I ended up trading the 40 + $1000 for the 80. The guy even hooked me up with a good glass installer and got a new windshield installed same day for $146 glass/labor. Since Friday, I've basically been fixing little stuff like bulbs, oil/filter change, engine compartment cleaning, wash/wax, etc. Nothing fancy, but I was doing it all while at work getting paid. :) Stopped by my local dealer (I get a CDan-like discount with no shipping, just not as knowledgable as Dan) and picked up new plugs, filters, belts, antenna mast, and about 5 dash bulbs all to hopefully be replaced today when I get my butt out from behind the computer.

I think I spent about 5 hours searching through the forum reading about the maintenance items and antenna replacement...so I think I'm ready to go. Also going to take off the running boards today if I have time. Tires are almost gone, so I'm going to upgrade to some 285's probably either Revos or Yokohamas. This will mostly be a daily driver and expedition rig, but I promised myself I'd go out and hit the trails with the other midwest and Chicago guys and go wheeling with it if I ever bought an 80. Here are a couple of quick pics I snapped when after cleaning it up a bit over the weekend.

Ok, so this really isn't tech, but I've got a bunch more questions I need answered, so I'll throw one out there and continue searching for the rest.

Did all late model 80 series have keyless entry. All I got with this truck was one key and no fob. I've seen some LX450 owners post up about reprogramming remotes and such, but the dealer told me that there are no fobs available for this truck. Was the keyless entry/security an option or standard?

-Rob

I already love it. Actually my DD was an '00 Isuzu Rodeo, but this is still quite a step up. Gave the Rodeo to my sister so I'm all cruiser now. It's all the little things Toytota did with these trucks that make all the difference. As far as the interior, it is gray, but the lighting I had when taking the pics along with the discolored floormat make it look a little more blue. Thanks for info and compliments. Can't wait to start getting my hands dirty..

Rob

Congrats! Very nice looking ride! Whereabouts in Chitown are you at? I spent a lot of time in Aurora, Oak Park, Vernon Hills, and went to school in Champaign/Urbana...

CruisinGA said:

Bailey.. you're funny. :D I still have my 60 though. Never get rid of that.

LR_RESQ - Sorry to hear about your glass in the other thread... If you can't source the glass, I'd be happy to call the guy that did my windshield and see what he can get...

alaska - I grew up in Mt. Prospect, live in Hoffman's Mistake for a while, and now live in the city on the north side.

chitown40 said:
LR_RESQ - Sorry to hear about your glass in the other thread... If you can't source the glass, I'd be happy to call the guy that did my windshield and see what he can get...

Thank for the offer. I found one, I'm just bitter. I am a little jealous of yours though: that was the color that I originally wanted... and all your glass is there!:doh:

Don't forget to sign the registry in the Windy city forum if you haven't done it already!

Bailey, notice it didn't take you long to get recruited into the geek squad. Sigma Chi? Isn't that right? Haven't been up on the geek alphabet in a while.

Yeah, yeah .. we've all seen an 80. :flipoff2: Lets see more of the ambulances ..

:D

Congrats!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

concretejungle said:
Bailey, notice it didn't take you long to get recruited into the geek squad. Sigma Chi? Isn't that right? Haven't been up on the geek alphabet in a while.

Yep Sigma Chi. Initiated two weeks ago. :cool: Really enjoying it... :D

Ga Tech would suck shaved nuts without the greek system here...

Carolina -- I'm at an impasse on tires. I had Revos on my Rodeo and thought they were the best tire I've ridden on. BFGs on the 60, which are also good, but spendy in a 285 size. The Yoko's are a steal for the quality tire it is. My deputy chief has them on his 60 and they look and drive great. So, basically that still leaves the big question of.. which tires to buy?

ali -- I think I signed in a while back, but I'll take another look. ;)

Bailey -- congrats on initiation. Glad to hear you had a brotherly audience when you shaved your nuts. Do I see an updated 'shave your nuts' poll in the future?

OZCAL -- thanks. I'm really starting to love this truck, even though I've haven't had it for more than a few days. The color was not my first choice when I was looking, but it's really grown on me the past few days. I was diggin the 40th gray and white, but diamond white after the wash/wax really looks sharp.

T Y -- The ambulance in the background is our POS reserve. We've been trying to get rid of it and get a new one for the past years or two, but it keeps getting bumped from the budget. Our two frontline rigs are pretty nice -- type 1's with an F350 with Powerstrokes on extended aluminum boxes. Drives like a champ.

Just came in from a good day in the garage working on the cruiser. Took out the antenna motor and removed the remains of the old mast and track. Only problem was I gave the part number from the antenna mast replacement thread to my local Toyota parts guy and it turned out to be the wrong mast. I should've been suspicious when he had it in stock. Oh well, have a new one on a few days. Also removed the running boards this afternoon. Truck looks much better without them. Gotta get me some front mudflaps soon.

Chitown, your right that color really does grow....

I almost bought a Chicago rig transplanted down here, same CE/color, just couldn't make it happen, young lawyer guy inherited it from his dad, needed some work.

I know nothing about Toyos, except that people like em. I was a diehard BFG guy on my hi-lux and other trucks, but these Revos really ride well, and have better noise levels and wet weather traction....

Have you tried the reviews on tirerack.com? Just FYI......

chitown40 said:
Bailey.. you're funny. :D I still have my 60 though. Never get rid of that.

alaska - I grew up in Mt. Prospect, live in Hoffman's Mistake for a while, and now live in the city on the north side.

I owned them all 40s 55s 70s 60s and now three 80s, they just plain rock with the coil suspension.

Great looking rig man............

Rob

Cruisin'Carolina said:
Chitown, your right that color really does grow....

I almost bought a Chicago rig transplanted down here, same CE/color, just couldn't make it happen, young lawyer guy inherited it from his dad, needed some work.

I know nothing about Toyos, except that people like em. I was a diehard BFG guy on my hi-lux and other trucks, but these Revos really ride well, and have better noise levels and wet weather traction....

Have you tried the reviews on tirerack.com? Just FYI......

Carolina -- I've read reviews on all of the tires I'm considering over on tirerack. Revos are #1 out of 19 tires and Yoko's are #6 out of 19. Revos have Superior ratings and Yokos are all Excellent. I'm probably going to go with the Revos since I've had experience with them and love them. Especially with our weather around here. I've got a good relationship with my local Discount tire and then usually let me set my price (within reason). I can also usually get them to eat all of the environmental fees. I got my last Revos in 245/70/R16 for $110 a tire installed. Hopefully I can swing a deal for about $150-160 installed for the 285's.

Rob -- I haven't had as many cruiser as you and alot of others. But compared to my 40, 60, and Rodeo, the 80 wins hands down. I've been a Toyota guy my whole life, but only a Cruiser head for the past few years. We've had four Camry's in the family and they've all been superb automobiles. Reliable as heck. I guess I just evolved like the rest of us. The little things I noticed in the engine bay while I was cleaning it out just impressed the crap out of me. Even the older cruisers are hands down better than some of the newer fuel injected computer controlled trucks these days.

Congrats on the 80. You will find that it is actually more capable offroad than the 40. I wheel both the 40 (Rear locker only) and the LX450 (Both locked) and the Lexus does better. The longer wheel base does a lot.

You will find parts are more expensive and its not as easy to work on. Get all the maintenance done, did you ask the guy last time the axle had been rebuilt? Then Big tires, OME and sliders. You will want sliders if you are going to take it off road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom