Chip Upgrade for TRD Supercharged LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I own a 1997 Lexus LX450 with a TRD Supercharger. Everything other than the supercharger is stock. Petrol, 4.5l.

In reading various forums, I understand that while the stock ECU is quite well optimized, that there could be considerable room for improvement on a force-fed motor.

Any ideas on how to get more HP and Torque out of a 4.5l petrol engine with a TRD supercharger? Also, be nice if it could also address the pinging which sometimes occurs at high load, high RPM with ****py 91 octoane gas.

Would appreciate any help.

I dont have any answers for you, only questions. I have a supercharger as well (though not installed yet) and I would like to know on what other forums you read about potential improvements to the ecu - always looking for another way to waste time.

Karl

I can help you with the pinging problem, but not much with the chip/ computer mods. One of the best ways to eliminate spark knock with forced induction is with methanol. You can easily build a system to fog the intake with it. The methanol does three things, it cools the intake charge significantly, boosts the effective octane of the mixture and at the same time adds fuel to the mixture to account for the extra air being forced into the system. I was able to go from 16lbs of boost to 28psi on 93 oct using methanol injection on a Grand National. www.alkycontrol.com is a good resource for a lot of ideas/parts. It would be a hell of a phone bill from Finland, but Julio is a really nice guy and is always happy to help with projects. cdan on the forum has it set up on his truck, check out his ROTW write up.

A methanol fogging system is serious overkill for an intermittent problem at the boost levels a stock supercharger runs at.

I’m new to cruisers, and have no experience with a supercharged version but I would start with checking timing and double checking that the engine is running at normal temperatures.

Nomi, does the pinging occur more frequently at higher ambient temperatures?

Ryan

Search boys, search.

Ryan,
Its rather relative when you live in Finland and talk about high temps. Currently we have 10-13C days and I am seeing the pinging. In the winter of course (well below -10C), there is no pinging.
Regards,
Nomi

If it's only occasionally, when the temp gets 'up' to 13 degrees,start by changing to some colder, recessed electrode plugs. That may be enough to drop the temp of the exposed bits of the plug and stop the pinging occurring.

In addition, grab your distributor (I assume this is an 80 series?)and wind it back a degree or two (do with timing light) -that may be enough.

Man-your engine would grenade over here in seconds. We had a bunch of days over 42 degrees here in South Australia over the last summer.

Sean

Thanks Sean. Let me try that one.

However, any ideas on any easy (plug & play) modifications to the ECU? Can the stock 80 series ECU be optimized with a TRD supercharger?

Thanks Sean. Let me try that one.

However, any ideas on any easy (plug & play) modifications to the ECU? Can the stock 80 series ECU be optimized with a TRD supercharger?

If you have pinging, you are at the verge of 'optimizing' timing. What you also may have is a fuel issue, which could be solved by installing a Bell Engineering adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

IME with the SC on the 80, the timing maps for the stock 3.2 pulley is pretty much dead nuts on for the conservative timing maps toyota put in this truck. With temps that low, I'd be more suspect that you are out of fuel than anything else.

The 80 black box is not as commonly tweeked as say the audi turbos I work on. But really, 'tweeking' is boost vs timing vs fuel. Since boost is a mechanical given, and fuel can be tweeked with the BEG FPR, the only 'upgrade' would be the timing maps. IMO, the 80 is very conservative, AND you can adjust the timing thruout the range by working the distributor. As such, I just don't see any great gains by an ecu upgrade. You can adjust all 3 parameters without the box.

My .02

Scott Justusson
94 FZJ80 Supercharged

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom