China Head- Hungry Valley (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting the city ‘heebie geebies’ again and lookin’ to get out of this place while the sun is still shinin’.
The Animals - We've Gotta Get Out Of This Place (1965) slideshow - YouTube

Any Interest?

Is there any interest in a short trip before September, before it gets cold at elevation at night? August is an ideal month because the snow level is usually the highest and streamflows the lowest and bug populations are generally in decline and it is still relatively warm in the mornings. China Head I have been over twice, but the Hungry Valley area near the Big Bar Park, remains completly unexplored. I spoke to Matt but he was not sure of being able to go given his uncertain predicament
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT] Route Plan

The route plan is tentative – I was thinking of coming in from Big Bar (reaction ferry) via High Bar, west along China Head FSR, Poisson Mtn FSR, take north fork (just above Swartz Lk.), take Flapjack through Dash Creek Canyon, north along Churn-Gaspard, then west 3200 Rd (Churn Ck. FSR) and from there take either of the two roads ( or both) above and below in the Hungry Valley, including Fire Rd to the Big Bar Park boundary (Rec Site noted). The valley looks flat and looks like Moose and beaver habitat should offer great views and being by the park should be interesting. To return we would have to backtrack to Gaspard main and south along either the Yalakom to Lillooet or Mud Lake FSR to Carpenter Lake.

The last picture was a China Head trip we did August 31 - so there is only a short window to go.

Timing

Any time after August 15th for me. Depending who is interested we could combine it with a weekend. I would guess 4-5 days to do the trip justice. Extra fuel and chainsaw recommended. I would appreciate only relevant questions or information to be posted.
Thank you. Glenn

P1020749.jpg

P1020744.jpg

P1020736.jpg

more teaser pics

Poison Mtn, Gaspard and Chilco Choate's mog....

smallPoison_mountain1906gb.jpg

P1010799 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1010804.jpg

Last edited:
I can probably make that. Let me discuss it with the boss tonight and I'll get back to you.

As I was just there this past weekend, I will decline. Also, you probably woldn't want to associate with my big rig anyhow.

There's a great place to camp 2.4km before the official start to the China Head Rd (on the Big Bar side). Lots of flat area, a pooper house, and quick flowing stream with cold clean water.

I'm still planning on doing this trip, this year. Since I have been over Chinahead a couple times already I promised Robert (flycruiser) that this year we would go together, since he has never been. Let me find out what his schedule is.

As I was just there this past weekend, I will decline. Also, you probably woldn't want to associate with my big rig anyhow.

There's a great place to camp 2.4km before the official start to the China Head Rd (on the Big Bar side). Lots of flat area, a pooper house, and quick flowing stream with cold clean water.

Was that site the "South French Bar Creek Rec Site"?

I'm in. Glenn I will pm you my personal contact info if you want to work out some details.

Axel

Gentlemen

Gentlemen - can we post some 'dates' of your availability to try to maximize our group of adventurers?

This guy is in!

land-cruiser.jpg

Would love too, and ya'll have fun. Any length of time off for me over the next two months is spoken for.

gb

Two options to avoid the frantic Labour Day traffic out of the Lower Mainland and return gridlock at Hope....:bang: :bang: :bang:

Aug 23rd to Aug 27th for those that need to straddle a weekend to stretch your holidays,:cool:

OR

August 19th/20th to the 24th or whatever - for those that don't.:cool::cool:

I think Sunday or Monday we will head out to take advantage of the fantastic weather :steer:

Chainsaw is sharpened, VHF is programmed, GPS maps loaded, truck tuned up and sunscreen is packed. :steer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom