Chile Challenge 2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jstncse

Crawling over something
Threads
The 26th Annual Chile Challenge is coming in October. It is held in Southern New Mexico east of Caballo Lake during the very best part of the year in some of the most beautiful and rugged canyons around.

The trail schedule can be found here Schedule and Trail Information - 26TH ANNUAL CHILE CHALLENGE OFF ROAD TRAIL EVENT
and the registration Registration Schedule - 26TH ANNUAL CHILE CHALLENGE OFF ROAD TRAIL EVENT

Most of the level 6 and lower trails can be done in an 80 without to much fear of body damage. I would recommend Apache Canyon, Ali and John Franklin have both been on it in their 80s.

Trail descriptions can be found here
Rated 1-3 - 26TH ANNUAL CHILE CHALLENGE OFF ROAD TRAIL EVENT
Rated 4-6 - 26TH ANNUAL CHILE CHALLENGE OFF ROAD TRAIL EVENT
Rated 7-9 - 26TH ANNUAL CHILE CHALLENGE OFF ROAD TRAIL EVENT

Looking at the trails that are available this year it looks like the club didn't have enough volunteers for the milder trails. There are no 7 rated trails available and only a handful of 1-6 rated trails.

It also turns out that all the trails I am on are in the 9+ category with the exception of Sidewinder

My trails
Wednesday-Backstage Pass
Thursday-Sidewinder
Friday-Cabin
Saturday-Crystal Canyon

FourWheeler magazine article from last years event
Chile Challenge in New Mexico Turns 25

Thanks for the info - I am planning to check it out. I was at a Chile Challenge way back when, when it was still held near Cruces and I had a blast.

SHOTGUN......!!!!!

IMG_4905.JPG
The weather is perfect. Saw one 80 during registration

IMG_4907.JPG

Looks like you are all set! I am planning to hit the road tomorrow (Thurs) afternoon, and will see you tomorrow evening. Can't wait to hit the dirt on Friday.

Stop by. I'm in space 51 at the Riverside Campground

cool! you guys have fun!

Thanks - I am planning on it! Way too much time behind the desk lately and not enough on the trail.

Thanks - I am planning on it! Way too much time behind the desk lately and not enough on the trail.
I hear ya, believe me... :(

But pretty soon you will have considerably more at your whim!

Pics? Should have been nice and hot down there. Extra points for trucks with A/C!

It was very warm for this time of year - low 90's, I think. Chile Challenge was a hoot, but there are some tough trails out there. It's mostly a "Jeep thing", like at least 90 - 95% of the trucks. On Friday, I ran a 6-rated trail (on a 12-point scale) - Apache Canyon trail, and my 35 inch tires and 5 - 6 inches of lift was not quite enough for that trail. I was taking most of the bypasses, because even the non-bypass areas were pretty extreme. The suspension was getting a workout - I was hearing lots of noises I don't usually here - made me wonder if some of my bushings on control arms & panhard rods are worn out. The armor and bumpers took quite a beating, but that's what they are there for. The Jeeps were breaking right and left. One guy bent his tie rod, and they pulled it off the truck, bent it back and slid a jack handle over it for more stability. Another steering stabilizer was smashed, and he wasn't able to turn left until they pulled the stabilizer. I think there was more carnage, but it was hard to tell with 20 trucks on the trail.

On Saturday, I did another 6-rated trail (Breathtaker), but with a smaller group this time, about 8 trucks. Another very challenging day. Both trails are basically climbing up dry stream beds with lots of large boulders and the occasional ledge. On the Saturday trail, the canyon walls were so steep you couldn't walk past the trucks in the line without trying to climb the hill and go up and around. More off-camber stuff on Saturday's trail as well. When we got to the top, we came down a different trail (Sidewinder), that was rated an 8, if you were going up it. That was going pretty well until I came over a ledge without checking it first. The driver's side front tire dropped into a huge hole that threw the left side of the truck into a rock wall. My driver's door took a pretty good hit. At first, I couldn't open the door, but with some "bodywork" (pulling the front quarter panel out by hand), was able to get the door operational.

Lots and lots of built Jeeps and Jeep buggies. My truck never looked so stock at an event before. Now I can understand why those 40 and 45 inch tires are so popular on those trails!

I did not take any pictures. A guy on the trail with me took some pictures of my truck and said he would e-mail them, so I will post up if he does.

I have a few pictures that I will try to upload this evening. Trails are extreme and everything out there either has thorns or jagged edges. We had one rollover on Crystal Canyon that took us about 4 hours to recover and get it started again.
IMG_4965.JPG

IMG_4927.JPG

707HP Hellcat equipped JK. It was two weeks old when he hit the trails with it. Check out Dakota Customs facebook page for the ground up build on this bad boy. He followed me through everything I did and all the time doing it in air conditioned comfort.

Re:Todd moved to Roswell from California. He is a member of the tin benders and has run all the cool trails in California

IMG_4919.JPG

IMG_4954.JPG

From Canada

IMG_4958.JPG

Same truck with two buggies in tow

IMG_4964.JPG

Ouch! I hope no one was hurt (except the Jeep!)?

Just feelings and the Jeep were hurt. Both occupants were ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom