Child Car Seat Fitment in Trucks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,
I'm trying to determine how well child car seats fit in the '89-95 Extra Cab trucks, Tacoma Access Cab, and Tundra Access cab trucks. My current situation is that I own a tired 1990 4WD Extrcab pickup, baby due in July, and no idea if a car seat will fit in the truck or not. I would like to keep my truck for a few more years, and then I'll be in the marker for a "new" pickup, and I'm not interested in a double cab. I'm not even sure if a car sit will fit in my truck as it is.

I've been to Yotatech, and someone did confirm that a child seat will fit a Tundra access cab forwards and backwards. Does anyone have first hand experience with this, possibly with all or any of the three trucks I've mentioned.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards
tim

You really need a full seat if you are going to strap down a baby seat. It would definitely work in the front seat-but folks have different opinions on the appropriateness of that.

My girlfriend has an 89 Hilux 4 door RHD truck that I believe is the same dimensions as the ones here in NA. I can pull one of my car seats out off my Surf and try it in her back seat if you like?

You said Extra Cab though...that's not the 4 door is it? There are so many different terms floating around for extra cab, extended cab, etc. that I'm not sure which one you're referring to.

Wes

Here in the NA, extra cab is not a four door.

Correct, mine is just an extended cab with the small jump seats in the back. If I do replace this truck, I would probably only look at extended cabs (or Access Cabs using Toyota Terms), because the 4 door Taco has the small bed, and the 4 door Tundra is too big.

Not gonna fit. My T100 extended cab is just very slightly smaller than the tundra access cab, and there is no way that an infant carrier+base will fit in the back. However, the carrier by itself might fit if you are a bit vertically challenged, or if the wife will scoot her seat forward to allow room. With the seats back it won't fit, but with the cost of a baby, (I have two and one in the oven) You might want to try and make it work. Something to try is to go to a used baby equipment store because they will let you try out the seat to make sure it fits.

OTOH, when the kids go forward facing, you can get by with a lot less room.

Good luck and congrats on the kiddo

Dan

I've had a rear facing and currently have a forward facing child seat in my 99 Tacoma ext. cab. When it was rear facing I put it on the front seat with the airbag off but once my daughter got big enough to face forward I moved it to the back. The Tacoma has a flip up tray behind the passenger seat to support a child seat although it is relaltively tight. Make sure you test fit the seats in the truck before you buy the seat. Some are longer than others and won't work properly with the flip up tray. ....Steve

I agree different seats have different spce requirements. None of my seats fit in the back of a Tacoma extra cab buy my sister has some that fit, also figure out how easy it is getting the child in and out, can be major hassle.

John

Child seats didn't fit in my 90 or my 00 extra cabs. Not with a passenger in the front seat anyway. With the front seat flipped forward it worked, but the seat didn't latch so I don't know if that was a good idea.

My husband has a 1995 4x4 xtra cab, we have two seats in the back but both are forward facing. I don't think most rear facing will fit plus, as someone mentioned, how the heck you gonna get the baby in and out? i guarantee it is challenging enough without trying to lean over the top of a seat and apply straps. I did not notice an airbag off switch in my husbands truck and if you have airbag and cannot turn it off but put the baby seat in the front, you are chancing a possible fatality if involved in an accident. Read this link, I am not kidding about the injury/fatality potential. http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFbasics.aspx

Good luck on the new addition

i have a 89 dxl and i have to say car seats are b*tchiz for the lil fold up and down rear seats, my nephews 3 in 1 booster car seat fits but the passenger better be lil and not mind sitting up straight as a board , the simpson 3 in 1 fits the same , now the car seats for small infants doesn't work well in the back it wont protect them at all. in the front it works but it'll make you feel insecure about the child but my nephew is almost 2 now and before my hg and timing cover went he always made vrooom broom noises because of the cherry bomb setup i had before i got pulled over

I love digging up old threads. ;)

I am sure this guys kid is in a booster by now, but I recently got my '89 ext cab and now have 4 kids so I know what fits and doesnt. My 2 oldest are in boosters so they go in the back and then my 21 mo old in the front facing in the front seat. No air bags in an '89 thank goodness. (His seat does fit in the rear as well although its kinda tight.) Rear facing seat will only fit in the front seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom