SOLD Chicago: Toyota 3.90 gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m swapping my 200-series to Nitro 4.88s in a few weeks and will have a set of factory 3.90 gears available if anyone needs a set. They currently have 110k miles on them.

was thinking they might be useful for someone with a 2016+ LC who has 3.30s and wants a gear change but prefers Toyota gears to aftermarket. 9” front and 9.5” rear to my knowledge also work with the 4.6/4.7L Tundra as well and possibly the 100-series, though I’m not an expert so I suggest your confirm beforehand

just front and rear gears, not fully assembled 3rd members, sorry

How the the Nitro 4.88 treating you ? Do you have significant gas mileage changes ? What tire size are you running ? Do you have a lot of extra weight on the truck ?
I am thinking to go similar route and want to weight pros and cons.
Thank you.

The shop had a few delays to get my truck in, so I'm actually *supposed* to pick it up today. I'm guessing it'll be 3-4 weeks before I'm done with the break-in (not driving much right now, plus I need to do a second break-in with my trailer and I won't get that out of storage until it's ready to go for spring maintenance.

My build is moderate. Sliders, roof rack, front winch bumper, 34s, 2" lift... but no drawers or aux tank or rear swingout bumper. That said we're a family of 5 with a big dog and I pull a 6000# trailer with ~900# TW regularly, so in those cases I'm probably a good 1000# over GVWR.

I'll let you know how how mileage works out. (If I forget, just bug me in a couple months once I've got it broken in and have some miles under my belt). TBH I seriously considered 4.30s as I think 4.88s will be a bit more than I need on 34s, so I'm hoping mileage doesn't suffer from that too much.

The shop had a few delays to get my truck in, so I'm actually *supposed* to pick it up today. I'm guessing it'll be 3-4 weeks before I'm done with the break-in (not driving much right now, plus I need to do a second break-in with my trailer and I won't get that out of storage until it's ready to go for spring maintenance.

My build is moderate. Sliders, roof rack, front winch bumper, 34s, 2" lift... but no drawers or aux tank or rear swingout bumper. That said we're a family of 5 with a big dog and I pull a 6000# trailer with ~900# TW regularly, so in those cases I'm probably a good 1000# over GVWR.

I'll let you know how how mileage works out. (If I forget, just bug me in a couple months once I've got it broken in and have some miles under my belt). TBH I seriously considered 4.30s as I think 4.88s will be a bit more than I need on 34s, so I'm hoping mileage doesn't suffer from that too much.
Hey.
Just wanted to check how are new gears are treating you ?

So far great. Highway mileage hasn't really changed much (wife just did a trip to GA and back and got about 13.5 on average for the week). If I'm cruising at 75-80 I seem to get maybe 13, but if I baby it at 50-55 I've seen 20mpg. I don't baby it though. Towing is a breeze now but I haven't yet done a long enough trip to really track MPG. I suspect it'll be maybe 10% better from what I've seen, which is nice but not amazing.

It's been a nice upgrade. TBH I probably would've been happy with 4.30s as well. 4.88s are fun and zippy, but mpg suffers. Then again it's no worse than before, and actually seems to be a tad better so far, and I didn't buy the LC for gas mileage...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom