Chevy V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody out there running an 85 carbed V8. I'm getting ready to start my V8 swap and I can get a 85 Suburban cheap, ~$150. Was planning on getting the motor rebuilt....

I've heard this year 350 was not a good one though? Any inputs on this is greatly appreciated.

Meatloaf

I am running a block from the 87-95 years with a carb, but all I have heard is that the rear main is prone to leaking on the earlier blocks, because of the two piece seal design.

'85 engine would be loaded down with smog crap. If you can upgrade the intake manifold (dual plane style) and install some Vortec iron heads (needs a specific intake) which are relatively cheap from Scoggin-Dickey Chevy in TX to bump compression and better flow, with nice headers, and an upgraded cam 300hp+ should be possible.

Remember the bottom end of an engine is for reliability only... the power is in the heads/cam.

$250 to be exact for those Vortec heads from Scoggin Dicky, check it out at www.sdpc2000.com

Corbet said:
I'm running a 350 from an 82 surb. Completely desmogged. I live in the CO high country. Works great. While the engine is out replace things like the rear main seal even if not leaking. Cheap insurance against long hours in the future.

How does desmog affect emissions? Emission laws go into effect here in TX in Sept...

I will be in New Braunfels the last weekend in July so if you want those heads I can save you the shipping cost and pick them up here in Lubbock before I head down.

Drum

are those smog regulations over the entire state?, even the rural areas? better get my truck inspected pretty soon.

Drummond
sorry I hadn't got to call you back, I've been working my arse off out at the plant, and I was out of the country for two weeks, I'll be back in Lubbock for school in late august.

No worries, I will be coming through Seminole one day this week so if you want to get together for lunch at that little taco place on the north end of town just let me know. I would still like to see your cruiser but I would have to do it pretty quick, I just got transfered with my company and will be relocating to the Ft. Collins CO/Cheyenne WY area in a couple of weeks.

Drummond
(806)543-1890

BigRed - If your smog statutes are just going into effect no one really knows how it works yet. You'd be safest to stick to the letter of the law & get the cleanest engine you can (late TPI).

Colorado mandates that the vehicle pass emissions for the chassis or the engine, whichever is newer. Vehicles before 1982 (I think) only take an idle tailpipe test, while all others get a dyno "rolling road" EPA cycle test. Only exception is 25-yr-old vehicles with classic plates that are renewed every 3 years at a higher cost - they don't get inspected at all. That's how my '56 F100 gets by with the 460 & 4-bbl.

are those smog regulations over the entire state?, even the rural areas? better get my truck inspected pretty soon.

Hey BigRed,

Emissions testing are only affecting Travis & Williamson counties at this time...But give it time though and the whole state will be affected. There might be ways around it though...see email response from DPS...

Classic cars are still required to get an annual inspection. If they are older than 25 yrs old, they will receive the same safety inspection. However, if they are less than 24 yrs old they will be subject to TSI emissions testing, in addition to the safety inspection.

Later,
Luis

thanks, I already have an engine in and about 3000 miles on it, I looked at the same year model truck that it came out of, and the only difference that I have is that mine is carbed instead of TBI, and maybe no O2 sensors.

Drummond
it would have to be really quick since I only have 30 minutes for lunch, and work a couple miles outside of town, might be able to meet you in Brownfield or something some weekend, got to come up to Lubbock this weekend, but not going to be able to bring my truck since the whole family is going, and my truck gets the worst gas mileage out of the fleet (3 cars)

I just bought a 78 LC that was up in Colorado and drove down to it's new home in Chandler, AZ. The problem that I'm haveing is that when it was up in Co. it didn't have to have the Cats, or the evaporative system., or air system. Now down here in AZ I have to have all of that stuff on it. Cats no problem only 300 for them. The evap I'm haveing a hard time finding out whats required on the eng. No one can tell me what I need. This sucks....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom