Chevy V8 types (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There was a great discussion on the 2F vs Chevy motors in FJ60's recently. I have purchased a nice FJ60 with a bad motor so I am in the midst of the decision on staying stock or going V8. I was leaning stock until I learned the weight of the rig is much heavier than by FJ40! What I am seeking in this post is not advice on which way to go, but for education of the types of Chevy V8's. I have heard small block chevy, TBI, Vortex, and perhaps other terms applied. Could someone review this or point me to a basic website? The last Chevy V8 I had was in 1956 in a 34 ford truck; it was a 265 bored out to 283. A lot has happened since then that I have not followed.

That is just about the question of the century. There are so many choices for V8s bearing the Chevy bowtie, many of them legendary motors. Narrow your question some. I bet that it is safe to assume that you want a smallblock for your 60, right?

Anyway, tell us how much money you want to spend in this conversion, how much electronics that you want to deal with, and then we'll tell you what you want to know.

One could write a term paper on the chevy V8s that have been produced over the years.

Hope that you will benefit from what we tell you.

:beer:

lol

there is way too much here to discuss in a simple thread. Most of it comes down to how much do you have to spend??

A crate Fuelie motor out of a catalog like summit or Jegs can tall you a TON of info. How much HP you want and how much you want to spend dictates what you want to do.

It also depends on your mechanical aptitude. a 350 swap is not a 2 bananna job ;)

You can't go wrong with a 350. 289s and 327s are too rare to get the few parts that are exclusive to the era they were produced. 305 and 307 were a comprimise with fuel mileage. They cool well and move a cruiser well, but most wish for more. 383s and 400s have cooling problems that can be overcome, but are overkill for most.

302s are way cool. If you find one, sell it and finance your whole project.

I prefer the TBI for simplicity and availibility in the tune that will work well in a Cruiser. If you got the cash, a drop in vortec out of the Chevy performance catolog is the shiz. It's self contained so a minimal number of wires needs to be hooked up.
Flee in fear of the cross fire TBI.

Don't pay extra for a 4 bolt. You don't need it, and people want too much for them.

Big blocks are mostly a waste. Too heavy for the power gain. 502 is cool, but overkill.

I think a Caddy 500 from a 76 rwd would be pretty neat. you would need to go with the TH 400 trans though. I don't think any body makes a bellhousing adapter to a Cruiser 4 speed. :)

Not to bash anyone's rig. Just my humble opinion.

When I am picking up my FJ60 on the way back to Vehas I am picking up a 500CI caddy motor.

I love optios ;)

I also have a 302 out of a 89 Cop mustang..

Decisions, decisions, decisions ;)

BTW, you can adapt a 700R4 or a SM420 to a caddy motor. So the cruiser 4 speed is proably not that much harder to adapt ;)

They used a SM420 with a BOP bellhousing? I suppose somebody has to make a BOP to chevy adapter, so I guess anything will work with that.

I'm a fan of the TH400 anyway.

302s are cool. I really don't like EEC IV and later Ford computer controls, though. Just give me the damn code without all the KOER crap.

I think 76 is the only year that the 500 was fuel injected.

Sorry for the overwhelm!

I appreciate your quick response. My question reveals how little I know about the subject. I just went through an engine rebuild on my FJ 40 which, with peripherals such as carb job by Jim C, all new hoses, new clutch, clutch hydraulics, etc. ran about $3500. So, as far as how much money do I have, I would say I am anticipating the same for the FJ60 redo. if I stay with the 2F. I suspect that I would need to go more with a Chevy V8. Which type engines are carbureted? Fuel injected (Vortex?). Is there an intermediate type that was a precursor to Fuel injection and is that the TBI? What years (generally) were the TBI motors used?

TBI = Throttle body injection, first generation fuel injection. Mid 80's. usually the easiest swap. TBI unit sits on top of intake like carb.

TPI = Tunned port injection. each cyclinder has its own injector integrated into intake manifold. Late 80's

Vortec = Chevy trademark head design. Came out in early 90's? You can build a vortec engine with carb or fuel injection.

hope that helps.

Vortec = more torque (truck motors). LS1/LT1 = Camaro/Corvette motors. I think GM has a 383 Vortec fuelie in its performance catalog: 350 with a 400 crank = magic torque (over 415 IIRC).

Heartworm,

What do you want from the FJ60? How will you use it?

M

I've got a fresh LT1 (rebuilt out of a cop car) in my 60. It is the funnest thing I've ever driven. Also gets good Hwy gas mileage. 4spd around town seems to pull the mileage down a bit. LT1 isn't the cheapest option, but it's one that I've been pretty happy with. Thought about a TBI motor for a while, but just couldn't pass up the idea of putting an LT1 into my 60. No regrets.

I've never driven a 2F equipped truck, that said, I have LOT'S of seat time in a healthy 3FE with teh auto.

It was a dog, no doubt about it.

Now I recently drove an FJ60 iwth a carbed V8 Chev in it and was BLOWN away by how great it felt. Not TOO much but plenty of power where you need it and in every gear. It also gave you TONS of room in the engine bay for all the extras you'd like to get in there (multiple batteries, air pump, big rad, etc.)

if I ever have a big wagon again it's getting a 350, no doubt about it.

I daily drove a 2F FJ60 for about 10 years and was pleased with the reliabilty BUT it never made me smile the way my V8 Fj40 does :cool:

Some where a while back I ran across a book on Chevy 350 engines. Can't remember if it was in a bookstore or an automotive catalogue I was thumbing through. At any rate, there's at least one book and probably more out there. Maybe you can find something on Amazon.

Gumby said:
289s and 327s are too rare to get the few parts that are exclusive to the era they were produced.

???? arent 327's in all of the 03/04's? -sean

Last edited:
Are you interested in the fuel economy theme . ? or in the other side, you buy this TLC to finaly get your own big toy .. ?

If is the second issue, your way is V8 I mean carburated to start, maybe in the near future or if you have de economy resources right now, TBI

just my .5 :D

nevermind...you must be talking about the old 327's. im getting ready to buy a vortec 5300 with a 4L60. its a 327, but NEW! -sean

Gumby said:
You can't go wrong with a 350. 289s and 327s are too rare to get the few parts that are exclusive to the era they were produced. 305 and 307 were a comprimise with fuel mileage. They cool well and move a cruiser well, but most wish for more. 383s and 400s have cooling problems that can be overcome, but are overkill for most.

302s are way cool. If you find one, sell it and finance your whole project.

I prefer the TBI for simplicity and availibility in the tune that will work well in a Cruiser. If you got the cash, a drop in vortec out of the Chevy performance catolog is the shiz. It's self contained so a minimal number of wires needs to be hooked up.
Flee in fear of the cross fire TBI.

Don't pay extra for a 4 bolt. You don't need it, and people want too much for them.

Big blocks are mostly a waste. Too heavy for the power gain. 502 is cool, but overkill.

I think a Caddy 500 from a 76 rwd would be pretty neat. you would need to go with the TH 400 trans though. I don't think any body makes a bellhousing adapter to a Cruiser 4 speed. :)

Not to bash anyone's rig. Just my humble opinion.

This is pretty much nail on the head best advice (not bad for under 10 pages). Simply be sure that in making your decision you include lots of reading and deciding how it applies to your wants/needs. Once you make your engine choice installation really isn't all that bad.

I plan to use it as a little of everything vehicle. We live 17 miles from Dillon, Mt and have 5+miles of gravel road and the rest is Interstate. Therefore, just to be a daily driver, I need ability to do mud slicks plus run with the big boys on I-15. We also go up in the mountains on some pretty "western" roads and I launch my boat trailer at some marginal places. I am not into crawling over boulders and I doubt that I will go the immaculate show car route either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom