chevy v8 engine options/fj80 axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
im looking for chevy v8 engine info for my 40/80 project. fj40 with fj80 frame axles ect. im curently looking at useing a 99 5.3 vortec setup as i found a full swap package for 850.00. ill most likely be running a 465 with a stock tcase for now. does the 5.3 vortec sound like a good option or would i be beter looking into a 5.7 lt1 or the high dollor 5.7 ls1 setup? i dont know much about the chevy stuff so im looking for some feedback on this. also would the be any issues on the fj80 axles w/elockers holding up running 37-40" tires? im also going to keep researching this but right now my brain feels like its going to explode. thats why i just posted this question instead of continuing to think.

i believe the 5.3 is easier to install b/c there is onle one coil as opposed to one coil for each cylinder on the 5.7. not too sure about that, but someone on here can prolly tell ya for certain.

i just found this rightup this morning. http://medusa.ih8mud.com/cruiser/Vortec.html this is basicly what im wanting to do only im planing on useing the newer stlye vortec 5.3 with the aluminum heads. the newer (99-04?) 5.3 ls1 vortec puts out 295 hp compared to the stock 5.7 at 255 hp from the info ive been able to find so far. the prices on the 5.3's dont seem to bad either comparitive to other options. plenty more research still needs to be done but i believe i'm on the right track. im also starting to lean towards an early model gm nv4500 but thats another story.

here's an ebay item number for the power plant i'm planing on useing with specs listed. only the swap package i located is only 850.00 NOT 3299.00 ebay item number 8010782996

first off the the one on ebay must be from some company full of crack smokers to be asking that much. as far as the one i found ive got some good conections in some local salvage yards. i'm also going to see if i can talk them down to 600.00 after seeing what they are running on car-part.com. im also not going to be needing the trans so that knocks off a few bucks as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom