chevy V8 conversions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi

my 13bt in my BJ71 is slowly dieing (260000km) and is also not really up to the sort of driving i am aiming at doing now, particularly as it does not rev high enough to effectily clear the tyres.

I have access to a 350 - 4speed bell housing.

My main question at this stage is does the 4 speed bell housing bolt on to the h55f 5 speed or is a different bell housing needed??

thanks in advance

<shiver> V8?
may i suggest a rebuild of the 13BT? a fresh rebuild and a proper set of gears and you should be able to spin those tires with no problem.
check the torque specs of the 350 vs the 13BT (i haven't so i don't know) and see what the difference is. you should be able to rebuild the 13BT yourself for less than a PROPER V8 swap.
cheers

NZBJ71 said:

My main question at this stage is does the 4 speed bell housing bolt on to the h55f 5 speed or is a different bell housing needed??

You need to find out if the bellhousing suits a BJ or an FJ/HJ landcruiser. If it is the former, then give it a go. If not, you need a new bellhousing:

http://www.marks4wd.com/lc-bj40chevv8.htm

Mudbogging, huh?

Dave

No not necesarily mudbogging, but i competed in a winch challenge a few weeks ago and other vehicles with v8 (including a lj70 with a lexus v8, very nice) did extremely well climbing slippery banks and in bogs etc simply cos they could get the wheels spining.

The 13bt redlines at 3500-4000 where as the others are out to 7-8000.
makes a big difference!

I do like my 13bt for a number of reasons but to be competative it just doesn't cut it. Thats why the other truck is still toyota deseil, its a KZJ71.

I thought your 13B-T engines is a really good engine, but if your rig is only for short trait, or competition, go with 350 V8 Chevy, buy the adapter plate in Advance adapters .. and you are ready ..

Anycase I have the same opinion as Wayne rebuild your 13B-T maybe propane nyeccion and maybe be very surprised with results ..

vbgarageno1.jpg

:doh: If a 350 ain't got enough grunt :idea: ,can always go 383. lol.:grinpimp: Why not bigblock,:D then nitro,,:idea: stick with your diesel:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

NZBJ71 said:
Hi

my 13bt in my BJ71 is slowly dieing (260000km) and is also not really up to the sort of driving i am aiming at doing now, particularly as it does not rev high enough to effectily clear the tyres.

thanks in advance

Dood, why would you go with the 350 Chev V8? They have to be the worst possible of the chev diesel's, although some claim to get better reliability by installed studs for the heads instead of using the stock bolts. A 6.2, or even better, a turbo charged 6.5 is a much better option than the 5.7l.

An if someone is tells you that they are running thier chev V8 at 7,000 rpm's he's probably lying to you... just like the toyota diesels, the Chev's top out around 3,500 -4,000 RPM.

Might I also add that spining tires is yesterday's news. Only chumps spin to clean the lugs anymore. If you feel that you need to spin the tires to make them work effectively, then you are running the wrong tires. Good tires don't need to spin to make excellent traction in the mud. I am guessing that you're running some of those fecal styled Interco's or something like that. May I suggest you look into some Michelin XL's, or perhaps some Michelin XM47's. Mucho traction, no need to spin the tires.

Peter Straub

In some case .. tooo much spining cause loose traction as well ..

check this video ..

http://www.4x4panama.com/Videos/Calovebora/Alvaro.wmv

In the first part Alvaro come with a lots of rpm .. but loos traction, after that he understand and aply the right amount of rpm and get tration again ..

Am I missing something, doesnt he mean a 350 petrol motor? Nothing wrong with brand new crate motors for about the same as a cheap diesel rebuild depending where in the world you are.

bcon said:
Am I missing something, doesnt he mean a 350 petrol motor? Nothing wrong with brand new crate motors for about the same as a cheap diesel rebuild depending where in the world you are.

350 small blocks are dirt cheap to build. I built one from a short block a few years back for under 1200, including lots of Edelbrock goodies, boring, decking etc.

You're building what sounds like a purpose-built rig, shooting up rock faces etc. If you had any intention of selling the rig later as a street truck...I would cringe as a buyer at the expense of operating a gas-sucking V8...especially if you go with a carb or an older TB injection system.

I don't know much about off-roading, but couldn't it be that the guy with all the success with wheel-spin is spinning his wheels out of necessity (no low end torque) as opposed to choice? I mean, if you had a ton of torque at 1000rpm and you swapped out a really low ratio, couldn't you granny right up that same slope?...Hum-Vee style?

Just a "350 gasser in a 75 series pic" I happened to have for an emergency like this:D

That tired old 13BT piece of junk maybe another mans treasure:rolleyes::idea::D
HJ75 003 (Small).jpg

if you wanna cut the value of your diesel LC in half or even less a V8 is a good thing to do, of couse running into on coming traffic is an easier way of decreasing its value.

We should not be so quick in projecting our own values to others. Some of us are die-hard diesel fans and most of us are in North America where a diesel Toyota motor is a very desirable and coveted item. NZBJ71 could well be in New Zealand or somewhere else where the 13BT is plentiful and a Chev-converted vehicle is very desirable. I don't know for sure in NZ, but in Japan for instance a petrol V8 re-power brings more money.

Plus, as he stated, he uses his vehicle for winch challenge competitions and guys with petrol V8 are winning. As precious as your vintage collector knife may be, you do not bring it to a gunfight.

Dave

I like Daves thinking. I am not a fan of diesels for the simple reason that spend anywhere from 10-14 hours a day on or around any piece of equipment that will dig a hole. It gets real old and tiring to smell and work on diesels for a living and then go home in a diesel. Most big equipment is automatic...so I drive stick. They are diesel so I drive gas. I have to admit I like watching you diesel nuts cringe at the thought of doing away with a factory motor... Gathering parts for a motor swap of my own that would make you guys @&@&@&@& but hey its what makes the individual happy. So I say go with the 350 if you want and if youre a kiwi use a nice injected holden. Maybe something cool like a manaro aluminum just like we aim for corvette aluminum here. I guess for you, you would spell it "aluminium"...... Good luck and have fun with the HP.

bcon said:
I like Daves thinking. I am not a fan of diesels for the simple reason that spend anywhere from 10-14 hours a day on or around any piece of equipment that will dig a hole. It gets real old and tiring to smell and work on diesels for a living and then go home in a diesel. Most big equipment is automatic...so I drive stick. They are diesel so I drive gas. I have to admit I like watching you diesel nuts cringe at the thought of doing away with a factory motor... Gathering parts for a motor swap of my own that would make you guys @&@&@&@& but hey its what makes the individual happy. So I say go with the 350 if you want and if youre a kiwi use a nice injected holden. Maybe something cool like a manaro aluminum just like we aim for corvette aluminum here. I guess for you, you would spell it "aluminium"...... Good luck and have fun with the HP.
The iron GMH 304 is fuel injected also and less of a worry with heat etc, Harrop and C.O.M.E, both make 355 cranks and C.O.M.E. now has a 383 crank for this motor.:grinpimp: should pick up a holden V8 complete for $1500 to $2.000 bit more for a H.S.V. You will find the chev350 is narrower than the holden but higher from top to bottom.:idea: Also the holdens firing order will throw you guys across the blue,,,1,2,7.8,4.5.6.3 :D

Eric Winkworth said:
if you wanna cut the value of your diesel LC in half or even less a V8 is a good thing to do, of couse running into on coming traffic is an easier way of decreasing its value.
Eric,
what you said is true for NA. most V8 cruisers i have seen SOLD sell for much less than if it still had the old diesel in it. as soon as the V8 goes in the unit now apeals to a very select few.
it seems in countries were the diesel is very common and the chev engien is rarer it is the other way around.
it seems people want what they can not have.
he is building a specialty unit so each to his own, i would rather try and tweak the 13BT than stick an anchor in the engien bay but then that is just me.
cheers

and good luck in the swap NZBJ71

it seems in countries were the diesel is very common and the chev engien is rarer it is the other way round. [from crusher]
True here, good point, The holden V8 is a popular swap, very tough and no problems [carby,float]& 400nm of torque. The gm turbo V8 diesels are considered very cool indeed. It seems to amaze most from Oz that you guys do not use them. I am aware of a 75 series around here that has a 454 chev in it,believe it is a lot quicker than the 351 hj75 I posted a while back.Horses for courses.:cheers:

Thanks for all your input

As i indicated i was considering the chev as i know where one is, there are numerous options that are only limited to mt budget.

As deduced by a few i am in New Zealand and 13BT are quite common so something diferent does have some interest factor, another alternative would be a toyota 1HZ 4.2D with a supercharger or turbo or any number of alternatives. I was just looking for ideas, however after coming back from a trip yesterday my clutch let go on a hill and now slips more than a stripper on a greasy pole. So if i'm going to split the tranny out (which also needs work) i might as well do it all at once.

I'll make some comment on the tyres, I currently running 285/75-16 Motorway mongrels which are a copy of the Simex extreme trekers, my under standing is that these aren't available in the states but i have tried to attach a picture for your reference. These are VERY agressive tyres and will generally climb and dig at any thing i throw at them, but even in sticky clay and mud they still do block up.

As for resale value, by the time i'm ready to replace this vehicle it wont be worth any thing.
PcImg_MotorwayMongrel2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom