Chevy express 6.0 vortex motor swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anybody swapped the 03-06 LQ4 motor from a Chevy express van with a 4l80e trans into a FJ40? Or should I be looking for one out of a truck? Or does it matter?it seems like most guys find them in the trucks.thanksfor the help.

Check with AA to see if they make a 4L80E adapter, I know they make a 4L60E adapter- - -might have to trade trannies?? If they do make the 4L80E adapter, then check length of tranny, adapter, and transfer-case to see if you'd end up with a rear drive shaft.

I figured that the4l80e might be too long,I guess my main question is..are there any downsides from using an lq4 out of a express van? I guess you have to set up different filter set up?

The only thing that might need changed is going to the F body oil pan. I am pretty sure they have the tall truck pan.

I just got done putting a 5.3/4L60 into my FJ40 with the 2! Advance Adapters to mate it to a 3-speed case. Looks like AA has a different adapter for the 4L80E, and it's the 4WD version. With the 4L60E I had to use a 2WD and cut the output shaft. It fits, but barely because its SOOO long. Looks like the 4L80E adapter is shorter so that would help in fitting it in a 40.

I used the GMPP Muscle Car oil pan kit, fits great and it's around $200 for the pan, pickup, and dipstick from Summit or Jegs.

I think you are fine with the van motor, unless you have big lift you will need to change the oil pan though. Check to see if you need a 2WD or 4WD transmission with AA though. If you go over 4" lift a truck pan will work if you push the motor back to around 1" from the firewall, but you need a SHORT drivetrain at that point.

I have an fj62 with an lq4 6.0 mated to a 4L80e with Advance Adapters to connect my fj62 split case.
I can measure the length if you would like.
I read a few threads where the drive shaft for the fj40 would be like 17" long with an lq4-4l80e and advance adapters with a split case.

ferd

17" long with an lq4-4l80e and advance adapters with a split case.

My rear drive shaft is going to be 16.5" and I have my rear axle pushed back 4" with 60 springs. That's probably the only way I can get away with a drivetrain this long.

Nice.

I went out and put a tape measure on my 6.0, 4l80e and t-case and a got about 71" long.
that covers the fan to the end of the t-case flange.

I bought this project and i'm thinking of going with the 4l80e.

For Sale: - 1975 Fj40

Ferd

I went out and put a tape measure on my 6.0, 4l80e and t-case and a got about 71" long.
that covers the fan to the end of the t-case flange.

I bought this project and i'm thinking of going with the 4l80e.

For Sale: - 1975 Fj40

Ferd

Cool truck!

Got a picture of the 4L80, Adapter and Split Case? I bet if you compare it to mine it will be a shorter combo, and probably better for the Original Poster.

In my case, I got bit in the ass by going NV4500 instead of 4l80 transmission. Even with an aftermarket tune, it isn't perfect.

Curious what the issues are? If it's flashed correctly LS engines "should" work fine with manuals or older TH350/400 autos. My older 4.8 worked great with a Toyota H42, drivability was awesome. Sure you had good VSS signal from the NV4500?

Ha, ya I've never seen one of those combos either but maybe someone has the tune on file you can snag. I had Brendan at LT1swap do my tune and it seemed fine, but then I could specify manual trans and gear ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom