1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chevy bellhousing

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by CruisinGA, Sep 26, 2003.

1. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

I'm going to pick up my SM420 on sunday, my mechanic said he's got the bellhousing that it was bolted too with it. There was a ~260-290 I6 in front of it, and the SM420 behind it, originated on a 65-67 tow truck (yes the sm had a PTO on it, but he wouldn't let me have it :'(.) Bolt pattern should be the same as most chevy v8's. Just wondering if it would be of any use to anyone that wanted to put a '420 on an engine that didn't have one originally. I really don't know much about chevy engines and trannys and whats interchangable. Just wondering if its good for anything.
    BTW-If anyone wants it, its yours, you pay shipping and I would say a 6-pack of :beer: but I don't think the parentals would approve :flipoff2: . If no one wants it its going to be tossed.

2. hammerhead

hammerhead

Dude, why don't you use the bellhousing to V8 your FJ?

3. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

[quote author=hammerhead link=board=1;threadid=5717;start=msg45396#msg45396 date=1064636955]
    Dude, why don't you use the bellhousing to V8 your FJ?
    [/quote]
    Uh oh, you're opening a can o worms... :D I drive a Toyota to drive a Toyota. If I wanted a Chevy I would have bought a K5 blazer instead. :p (It did come down to a K5 or a FJ40 before I decided on a FJ40). I realize the great power gains, but to tell you the truth, my 40 is a DD, and I need day to day reliability as much as power. Don't have the time to work out the bugs of a V8 conversion, nor the space. (its there but my parents won't let me use it) Even my worn out F has all the power I really need. I don't want to fool with a conversion, and don't have the money to at the moment. Hearing about people's problems with conversions like TJDV and others makes me glad I don't want to. Who knows, I might at some point, but not till I have another cruiser thats mostly stock to DD in.
    It really boils down to me being too much of a purist to do it. Power just doesn't matter that much to me. That may seem an oxymoron since I'm a hormone driven teen and all ::) . I may just get the bellhousing to keep for the future, never know when you might need it.