Chevota cooling fine at it's finest (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Downey

SILVER Star
Threads
Coming soon to the Mud classified ads (with photos) is the total remedy to Chevota cooling. What is it you ask, why its an 18" diameter, 7 bladed, air conditioning fan blade on a fan clutch, blades on a heavy pitch to create the hurricane needed to blow heat out of the engine compartment. I had one of these on my first Chevota with 300 horse power 327 (I know, back in the day) and rig ran 180 on the hottest day of the year- - -without a shroud- - -imagine!!!!

Can't edit the title, fine should be fan

Coming soon to the Mud classified ads (with photos) is the total remedy to Chevota cooling. What is it you ask, why its an 18" diameter, 7 bladed, air conditioning fan blade on a fan clutch, blades on a heavy pitch to create the hurricane needed to blow heat out of the engine compartment. I had one of these on my first Chevota with 300 horse power 327 (I know, back in the day) and rig ran 180 on the hottest day of the year- - -without a shroud- - -imagine!!!!

I've been researching options online about keeping the 400 small block cool. They tend to run hotter than the 350 as there are no cooling passages between the cylinders from what I am told.

Waiting impatiently......:popcorn:

^^^^^ Actually thinner cylinder walls because of bigger bore.

^^^^^ Actually thinner cylinder walls because of bigger bore.
Exactly.....leaving no room for cooling passages. I hope your upcoming offering will be the king of kooling🥶🥶🥶🥶

@Downey How long is the setup, Jim?

Inquiring minds want to know, It certainly sounds like the way to go. Much better idea than trying to make electric work.

What I have is working... but a clutch fan would reduce power loss, and quite it down a bit. Right now I’ve got a deep semi-rigid fan that sings quite loud whenever the rpms rise... wether needed or not.

Fan blade is 2 1/2" thick/deep, and total thickness/depth with clutch is 3 3/4".

Don't know ???, number on fan is#3937779, number on the clutch is #27072622.

How many do you have? Just 1?

Probably a dumb question but I'm going there anyway. What advantage does the clutch add? Why not run full cooling capacity all the time? Ok, let the barage fly.......💣

Probably a dumb question but I'm going there anyway. What advantage does the clutch add? Why not run full cooling capacity all the time? Ok, let the barage fly.......💣
I'm sure the experts will reply but my quick answer is.. fan clutch is thermostatically controlled. It only locks up when the radiator rises above a certain temp. Saving you gas mileage and noise when not needed.

Jim,

You have years of experience that I don’t so could you answer this for me? Isn’t 180 degrees a bit cool for a SBC? I’ve been reading forums for the past two years trying to get answer and there still isn’t a clear answer, just opinions. Locally I’ve been told to keep my SBC 305 running fan on at 220 and off at 200. If this is a thread jack I apologize now but your input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Back in the day with old school v8’s 180-190 was considered perfect. With newer engines, better metals, better lubricants the engines can run hotter. I recall some smog devices that made the engine run at least 220 degrees. Do I ever want any of my engines to run 220, not hardly!!!!!

Yep, just the one, picked it up at an estate sale.
Bummer, I thought this was some cooling package you were putting together as a new offering for the V8 masses ☹.

No, the v8 masses can pick up similar at old school wrecking yards, or one of the zillion hot rod swap meets per year in so cal (after the COVID situation lets them re-open).

Fan blade is 2 1/2" thick/deep, and total thickness/depth with clutch is 3 3/4".
Thanks.
I can see why they’d use these frequently.

Are 2F shrouds large enough to fit an 18” fan?

My current setup is working with an F shroud and 16” Fan. I’ve got about 3.75” from Radiator to the fan mount surface. If I switch to a short water pump or shift the rad there’d be enough space. And then all that’s left is a bigger fan shroud.

Thanks for posting the P/Ns of the options.

D1137841-72A5-4866-8878-7458ECD2F344.jpeg

Wow, great article smurf. Thanks for that..

edit: you mentioned possibly changing to short water pump.
As the owner of a short water pump I'd consider that a last resort. You'd need to change all the accessory mounts and the harmonic balancer. And you'd be stuck with the crappy alternator mount that bolts to the exhaust manifold.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom