chev inline 6 in a FJ40 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

what i have is a 1959 chevy 235 out of an impala. I had it bored, headjob, 4 barrel, and headers years ago for my '51 chevy pickup. I would like to use it as it dyno'd at about 200 horse and a ton of torque. thought this would be a good combo. I am interested in the adapter plate.

Cool...sounds like a good motor. Click on my name on the left of the screen and send me a private message with your address or phone number or whatever. I'll drop it in the mail.

what i have is a 1959 chevy 235 out of an impala. I had it bored, headjob, 4 barrel, and headers years ago for my '51 chevy pickup. I would like to use it as it dyno'd at about 200 horse and a ton of torque. thought this would be a good combo. I am interested in the adapter plate.

Jim, I'd bet you've looked into this, but would performance parts for the GMC (such as what Patrick's offers) then work on the F engine? Of course, if someone's still running an F, they may be looking for originality and not wanting any modifications.
Looking at the brief on-line catalog, it's almost all parts for 235/261 chevy.
The 236/270 is completely different. Longer, taller, bigger bearings...

The hotrod parts for the ancient 270 would not be much use for a later 2F. The pistons are not flattop, AFAIK. None of the manifolds would fit because the GMC engine was never given a redesigned 'modern' head like the 2F got in 1981.

Actually, the hot-rodding would go better the other way.:idea:
Put a 3FE head on a GMC 302 block, punched .060 over for a EFI 5.1 litre Cruzilla engine.:clap:

We have a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer LT3 4WD with tow package that we purchased last month as a GM Program Car from a local Chev dealer (List $36K) for $17k out the door with 19k miles (shows the depreciation on midsize SUV's)....this car has an inline 6 (4.2 liter) that develops 285hp @ 6k rpm and 275# torque @ 4600 rpm. Tow capacity is 5700#....a real workhorse old school engine that accellerates like a V8; smooth as silk...and an easy 200k mile engine. I have a friend with a 2006 same car with 109k miles..no problems and that is why I bought it. I have no idea what a crate duplicate would cost. Just a thought that this engine/tranny would be superb in an FJ40. Not my '71 FJ40 as it has the original F engine that is bullet proof in my opinion. Just a thought.

ok so I'm guessing this was part of it too

Since I pulled the 3 speed apart in a different thread here, I noticed the front bearing retainer was shaved down a bit and possibly shortened. Here is a picture. I'll mail it to you if you want it with the 4 modded allen screws.

Mike
IMG_3969.JPG

We have a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer LT3 4WD with tow package that we purchased last month as a GM Program Car from a local Chev dealer (List $36K) for $17k out the door with 19k miles (shows the depreciation on midsize SUV's)....this car has an inline 6 (4.2 liter) that develops 285hp @ 6k rpm and 275# torque @ 4600 rpm. Tow capacity is 5700#....a real workhorse old school engine that accellerates like a V8; smooth as silk...and an easy 200k mile engine. I have a friend with a 2006 same car with 109k miles..no problems and that is why I bought it. I have no idea what a crate duplicate would cost. Just a thought that this engine/tranny would be superb in an FJ40. Not my '71 FJ40 as it has the original F engine that is bullet proof in my opinion. Just a thought.

What kind of fuel mileage do you get with the Trailblazer?

If anyone is interested, I still have three brand new complete adapters for 3 speed tranny to chevy bellhousing. They include an aluminum adapter/spacer plate, a new bearing retainer machined for the conversion using a chevy T.O. bearing, and the oil seal, gasket, and special mounting bolts. If interested, PM me!!!

If anyone is interested, I still have three brand new complete adapters for 3 speed tranny to chevy bellhousing. They include an aluminum adapter/spacer plate, a new bearing retainer machined for the conversion using a chevy T.O. bearing, and the oil seal, gasket, and special mounting bolts. If interested, PM me!!!

Why does this not surprise me!:grinpimp:

I read this very quick so I may have missed this, the 292 six has offset motor mounts, so the alignment with the LC frame could be a minor issue, and it would require different spacing than a V8 so additional fab work.

A relative has one of these engines in his Trailblazer and loves it. I only gave it a cursory glance but it looks kind of tall and the front IFS diff/axle passes through the oil pan. Not a big obstacle for some of the folks here but I thought I'd mention it.

comparison of the bearing retainer

Hi Mark,

I cleaned it up a bit and will mail it out today or tomorrow. I also took some snapshots and compared it to another stock retainer I have.

Other than the diameter, the noticible differences are the retainer ring and the welded tube. The tube wall thickness is slightly smaller and there is no chamfer on the end. I'm guessing the person who made this might have cut the tube to get the circular plate in a lathe to take the demension down a few 16ths from a hair over 5 inch.

The fasteners are ground allen heads. The seal was junk so you will need a new one. You'll also probably want the gasket that fits between the bearing retainer base and the transmission case. You can pick both up from SOR.com or from a Toyota parts counter.

The feller did also grind off the toyota mark. I thought that was kind of funny.
bearing_retainer 002.jpg
bearing_retainer 006.jpg
bearing_retainer 010.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom