Checklist for Basic Overland Build - 100 series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drops right in using existing base and hold-down, there are guys from this forum where I got the idea who have fitted a board under the battery to raise it up a bit to secure it a little bit better and others who just drop in. I chose to drop in and it's held in place really tight by the existing hold-down just angled a bit instead of being level.
Just wanted to pop back here to thank you for the reply - I picked one of these up yesterday from Sams. Fits just fine as a drop in but I think I will make a spacer so the hold down has more contact area. If it lasts, these are probably the best buy in AGM batteries right now from what I can tell.

So I got the 99 LX and am prioritizing my list. One of my goals with this is to learn how to work on the truck. The most advanced thing I've ever done with a vehicle is change the battery - so I'm essentially starting from zero. The more difficult items I plan to have my mechanic tackle while I'd like to take the simpler and easier items and try and do them myself.

I'm wondering 2 things:
1. Which of these items would you recommend for a complete beginner?
2. Can any of these items be grouped together to save time.

• Drained and baselined all fluids - oil, power steering, transmission etc.
  • New battery
  • New belt tensioner, belts, idler pulley, fan bracket and serpentine belt,
  • new radiator hoses, thermostat, heater hoses, heater t's, etc.
  • Water Pump and Timing Belt:
  • Left outer CV boot leaking
  • Front sway bar link pins / end links
  • swap AHC to OME suspension at some point in the future
  • New Starter
  • New Alternator
  • New cabin air filter
  • Recharge AC
  • New spark plugs
  • New o2 sensors
  • New brake rotors, calipers and pads (when needed)
  • cam/crank seals
  • Remove Running boards
  • Add Sliders,
  • Add Front Bumper and Winch

Level of difficulty (order: easy to hard). All the highlighted jobs make sense to do at the same time.
  • New cabin air filter
  • New battery
  • Recharge AC
  • Remove Running boards
  • New spark plugs
  • New o2 sensors
  • Add Sliders,
  • New Alternator
  • Water Pump and Timing Belt
  • cam/crank seals
  • New Starter

So I got the 99 LX and am prioritizing my list. One of my goals with this is to learn how to work on the truck. The most advanced thing I've ever done with a vehicle is change the battery - so I'm essentially starting from zero. The more difficult items I plan to have my mechanic tackle while I'd like to take the simpler and easier items and try and do them myself.

I'm wondering 2 things:
1. Which of these items would you recommend for a complete beginner?
2. Can any of these items be grouped together to save time.

• New battery
  • Water Pump and Timing Belt:
  • New Starter
  • New Alternator
  • New cabin air filter
  • Recharge AC
  • New spark plugs
  • New o2 sensors
  • cam/crank seals
  • Remove Running boards
  • Add Sliders,

Level of difficulty (order: easy to hard). All the highlighted jobs make sense to do at the same time.
  • New cabin air filter
  • New battery
  • Recharge AC
  • Remove Running boards
  • New spark plugs
  • New o2 sensors
  • Add Sliders,
  • New Alternator
  • Water Pump and Timing Belt
  • cam/crank seals
  • New Starter
This is awesome. Thank you!! So I could essentially take care of the first half of the list and let my Mechanic take over starting at the first yellow Item. Then take it to my 4x4 mechanic for the bumpers, winch and suspension swap.

This is awesome. Thank you!! So I could essentially take care of the first half of the list and let my Mechanic take over starting at the first yellow Item. Then take it to my 4x4 mechanic for the bumpers, winch and suspension swap.

Front rotor replacement on these trucks require repacking the bearings, and getting the tension on the locking nuts correct. I have yet to tackle this job but I think this is non-trivial job. Great if you want to learn otherwise, I would have a reliable mechanic take care of it.

Oh also, I should have mentioned, taking care of CV boot would be ideal when you do the front brake rotors.

Just wanted to pop back here to thank you for the reply - I picked one of these up yesterday from Sams. Fits just fine as a drop in but I think I will make a spacer so the hold down has more contact area. If it lasts, these are probably the best buy in AGM batteries right now from what I can tell.
How is this battery holding up? About to go grab one this weekend and wanted to check in before I do.

@aphil Not trying to turn this into a Tire argument thread...but I used to live in Arkansas...much more chance of real mud than out West where many of us are(now). K02's are great tires no doubt, but if they have a weakness it is definitely mud! And since you are not DDing this vehicle, why not get some mud terrains..Todays Mud Terrains are more hybrid and are awesome. .I had Falken Wild Peak MT's in Arkansas and they did everything well, are a great price, and tough as nails. I have KM3's now because I wanted to try them out in 255/85/16, which have been even better, but they are more expensive, and I don't want to start a "skinny vs wide" argument either. Just a thought.

So finally got a new AGM battery. Went to sams for that group 49 because they were having a battery sale. The group 49 would not fit. It was touching the radiator and Sams refused to install it. They recommended a group 94r. It’s a bigger battery than the 24f but still fits in the battery tray without overhanging in any direction.

Is there a reason no-one is using this group 94 AGM batteries? Seems to be a nearly perfect fit...

So finally got a new AGM battery. Went to sams for that group 49 because they were having a battery sale. The group 49 would not fit. It was touching the radiator and Sams refused to install it. They recommended a group 94r. It’s a bigger battery than the 24f but still fits in the battery tray without overhanging in any direction.

Is there a reason no-one is using this group 94 AGM batteries? Seems to be a nearly perfect fit...

There might be more reasons, but I would imagine that if people are going to go that size, they would instead go with a group 31. Group 94 is about 74ah and a group 31 is about 100ah. Unless you are running a huge fridge, that additional ah wont be needed though.

Yeah we looked at the group 31 but they measured and said it was a quarter inch too wide and wouldn’t fit in the tray. They recommended the group 94 as it fit perfectly. I just need to had a spacer to lift it up in height just a bit. Not running a fridge, just a winch and some lights.

Yeah we looked at the group 31 but they measured and said it was a quarter inch too wide and wouldn’t fit in the tray. They recommended the group 94 as it fit perfectly. I just need to had a spacer to lift it up in height just a bit. Not running a fridge, just a winch and some lights.

Were you replacing a stock size battery previously? I have a group 34 for my main battery now, but I might look into a different size next battery. Good find

Were you replacing a stock size battery previously? I have a group 34 for my main battery now, but I might look into a different size next battery. Good find
Yes - replacing the 24F that was in there. The battery tray is the stock tray. It fills out the trey pretty nicely, just need to lift it up and maybe adjust the braces just slightly for a perfect fit.

How is this battery holding up? About to go grab one this weekend and wanted to check in before I do.

Sorry I missed this while on vacation. It's been doing great. It's obviously too large for the tray but it has stayed in place. I do mean to add a little spacer to lift it a bit.

My Sams didn't install it - I just tossed it in in their parking lot.

Yes - replacing the 24F that was in there. The battery tray is the stock tray. It fills out the trey pretty nicely, just need to lift it up and maybe adjust the braces just slightly for a perfect fit.
Aren't all 100 series battery space/tray/tie down's the same? I wonder why the 49 at Sam's didn't fit your 100. I found this on Autozone's website, I wonder if you can mod it and try to use it on your 34 to lift it up.

Aren't all 100 series battery space/tray/tie down's the same? I wonder why the 49 at Sam's didn't fit your 100. I found this on Autozone's website, I wonder if you can mod it and try to use it on your 34 to lift it up.

So, the mechanic showed it to me. It fit into the space but it overhung the battery tray be nearly an inch on both sides. It was within a quarter inch of touching the radiator. He hooked it up and cinched it down and then drove about 5mph and hit the brakes hard. He then opened the hood and showed me that the battery had shoved up against the radiator which he said was not a good idea. The group 94 had plenty of room to spare around the edges and fit within the battery tray.

I've ordered that spacer from autozone and will pick it up this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom