Checking timing belt condition on a 1HZ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

I am importing a 1HZ truck and planning to drive it home quite a distance. I would like to get eyes on the timing belt for peace of mind before making the trip. The maintenance history is not clear/reliable on this one. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to do this without massive disassembly (i.e. in a parking lot as 1 person).

My plan so far was to pull the timing cover and use a remote starter (e.g. Heavy Duty Remote Starter Switch | Automotive Timing Tools - https://actron.com/content/heavy-duty-remote-starter-switch) to incrementally bump it over and visually check the belt condition. But I am wondering if there is an easy way to cut off the fuel on the 1HZ so it doesn't start when I bump the starter? Or maybe there is a fuel cutoff tied to the ignition so it wont start with the key off. I suppose I could do it with the engine cold an no glow plugs and it probably wouldn't start.

Any thoughts appreciated - not familiar with the 1HZ yet and curious if anyone has any tips on how to check the t-belt. Will probably just do it once I have the truck home unless I can clearly tell it is recent/good.

A simple inspection for cracking will help. Pre 1999 have three 10mm bolts and 4 clips to hold cover on. Post I thing are all bolts. Moving the ps reservoir helps which are three 12mm bolts

Or buy a new belt and tension spring and install before the trip. Every spring I have measured was out of spec (including new springs, but they are new). The timing cover clips may be bad, the bolt washers are certainly bad, but all that stuff and the idler can be done at home.

There's a fuel cut solenoid on the injector pump.

With regard to the timing belt, if be inclined to assess the general condition of the truck, and engine bay, and if it looks half decent, run itv to get it home.

The belts are wire reinforced. Part of the reason they need to be replaced is the teeth wear which affects timing.
Personally wouldn't stress too much about it in terms of failing on a trip home, but would definitely have it high on the list of PM items.

The belts have a 100000klm service life, but have been known to run to 300000klms.
A quick way to determine the condition of the belt is to look for a greyish dust that accumulates in the timing cover and sometimes leaks out. The dust is the belt disintegrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom