Checking out a '76 FJ40 today...what should I watch out for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone...

I've been on this forum for 8-9 month now reading and researching. I'm getting comfortable about knowing what I want and watching craigslist daily. I'm looking for a project and have about $4-6K I can throw down. Ideally, I wanted something with little to no bodywork since I don't have any skill in that area but I'm pretty good with mechanical and electrical (I've restored two Gen-1 K5 Blazers before). I also wanted something with at least the 4 speed, the 2F or V8, disk brakes and if possible power steering. All that being said I came across this 1976 '40 here in Golden and I'm about to go look at it. Although the ad says it runs I talked with the owner and found it starts and turns over but does not run, the blinkers, head and tail lights don't work, its missing the rear seats, and some body work will be needed. However, I think the price is pretty reasonable and in the range that I could afford to get the body work done IF! it turns out I can easily get the motor running and its not smoked. The other major barrier is a lost title. I ran the serial number and its not listed as stolen or salvaged but it still will take time and money to get it sorted out. Can you guys comment if I'm really deluding myself and I should wait a bit longer or if this is something I should jump on. I'm in no hurry and saving up money all the time but as I'm sure you understand I have the itch to own and do a restomod FJ40 that I'm obsessed with.

My plan is to take whatever I buy and use for short trips around town, tailgates, and in the Front range of Colorado. Planning on turning it into a softtop, put in EFI, some power outlets, to run an air compressor, heated seats, and some 33 in tires.

Thanks for your opinions and comments!!
1976 landcruiser FJ40

Last edited:
As a rule a lost title is a no go in my book. You have no guarantee that he even owns it to sell. If he is serious about selling it then he should have done the work to get a title for it.

No title is ok if it will be a parts vehicle but for something you want to title and drive I wouldn’t take the risk unless there was a lot of documentation. I know some have taken the risk and it turned out ok. I would have to have a hell of a lot of proof that he owned it legally. His story would have to check out completely. Take a magnet with you and go over the entire body to check for bondo or filler. People love to slap lipstick on a pig and call it a supermodel. There are other issues you need to sort out on this 40 but these would be the two big ones for me personally.

Last edited:
Oh and by the way welcome to mud and the Land Cruiser addiction. :flipoff2: (Official mud salute.) The first vehicle I ever helped restore was a 1975 k-5 Blazer with my brother many years ago. A good friend and mentor taught my brother and I so much about body work, wielding and painting working on that old blazer. Robert was a decorated Vietnam vet. My brother and I both being in the military and serving in Iraq he helped us get through some difficult times. Sadly Robert has passed on but we still remember and loved that old man.

Oh and by the way welcome to mud and the Land Cruiser addiction. :flipoff2: (Official mud salute.) The first vehicle I ever helped restore was a 1975 k-5 Blazer with my brother many years ago. A good friend and mentor taught my brother and I so much about body work, wielding and painting working on that old blazer. Robert was a decorated Vietnam vet. My brother and I both being in the military and serving in Iraq he helped us get through some difficult times. Sadly Robert has passed on but we still remember and loved that old man.

Thank you for the nice welcome! We always remember our first vehicle we sweated under, don't we? Mine was a '71 Dodge van and I remember sitting my back in the dirt, as the sun was going down, holding the starter in position with one hand while tighten it down with a socket wrench in my other hand.

Thank you for the nice welcome! We always remember our first vehicle we sweated under, don't we? Mine was a '71 Dodge van and I remember sitting my back in the dirt, as the sun was going down, holding the starter in position with one hand while tighten it down with a socket wrench in my other hand.

I remember the same things. My brother and I both always worked on our own vehicles. I remember the cuts, bruises, dirt in your eyes, knots on your head, sore backs and legs but loving every minute of it. Good times, good friends and even better memories. Remember to teach a child or another person when you are able to as it is lifetime skill and it builds good relationships and bonds.

I think it looks ok but given what Greg (73fj40lc) was saying I think you would need to get it cheaper than this assuming you were ok with the risks involved. There's a pic there that the interior wheel wells in the back might be pretty bad and might have some rot. I think if you are a bit more patient you might get something else still within your range that is in better condition and even has a title. Just my 2 cents but I know the urge can be real so up to you.

Also look all around your surrounding areas craiglist you might be able to find something you'd be willing to travel to and drive or trailer home.

If Colorado has a similar DMV system as California (long waits, crappy service, grouchy people;)) they may have the same type of on-line service that will allow you to confirm ownership, back fees, etc.. In California you can get that info with a VIN, license #, and county of registration. I use it often and have passed on deals because of back fees owed and VIN's not matching the plates (or no plates). By that same token, I have bought rigs from owners that just misplaced the title. With the correct DMV paperwork you can still make a legit purchase without the title, provided you confirm ownership.

You are getting some good advice from @airon23, [USER=2789]@cbmontgo and @reddingcruiser. I looked for close to four years before I found the right 40 that met what I wanted and looking for. I wasn’t looking full time but when I could. I looked at more 40’s than I care to admit.

There is a 40 out there for you that is what you want if you are willing to be patient and look. If this 40 is the right one for you then buy it and don’t look back. If on the other hand there is doubt and you are apprehensive about it then there is a reason for that.

One of the best pieces of advice you can get is to be patient and be willing to walk away with no regrets. If you can do that then eventually you will find the right 40 for you.

We all know it is hard to wait when you get hit by the LC bug. The longer you wait the more money you can save to buy an even better 40 to start with.[/USER]

Last edited:
Show up with cash, tell him you'll only buy it w title.. if its on the up and up, the seller will do the leg work for ya!

In Colorado, unfortunately, that is a pretty fairly priced truck. Not too sound harsh, but it will be hard to find what you list above locally for 4-6k. You should definitely think about expanding your search range a bit.

Being in Golden, you should definitely go to the Rising Sun Rally on 9/16! Plus the 40's only run is the day before. If anyone locally is thinking of selling, there's a chance they'd be there.

In Colorado, unfortunately, that is a pretty fairly priced truck. Not too sound harsh, but it will be hard to find what you list above locally for 4-6k. You should definitely think about expanding your search range a bit.

Being in Golden, you should definitely go to the Rising Sun Rally on 9/16! Plus the 40's only run is the day before. If anyone locally is thinking of selling, there's a chance they'd be there.

I noticed the day of the rally and put it in my calendar. I plan on showing up!

I just went and looked at the vehicle. I had to take a pass although the guy (JC) was pretty nice. The positives first: very complete engine compartment and instrument panel. rust free firewall and floor boards. The doors and top appeared to be in good shape. We were able to get it to start up and run (there had been a bad battery cable). Frame looked like it was in good shape with no apparent cutting.

The bad: He had no title and the previous owner had no title. This was a big one. There was some paperwork that had been started to get a new title but I didn't want the unknowns nor the hassle. The nail in the coffin was the body; the fednors were full of bondo and from the middle of the front seats back, lots of large holes in the sides and the inner fendors, some filled with bondo and sheet metal, some just big holes. What I took into account was the vehicle purchase price plus the cost of fixing the body versus the cost of just waiting and putting more money back and waiting for one that had a better body and a clear title. I think someone with more welding and body work skill (and patience) would really like this.

Thanks, @73fj40lc (Greg). You're are totally right. There will always be another good deal if I'm willing to be patient and trust my gut.
And @SugarBear (Abe) ! hope you are well. Did you sell your BJ46? I saw you took it off CL.

Also, I agree that I have to expand my search criteria and I've been looking nationwide for awhile.

Looks like the author deleted the post.. Maybe sold?

I noticed the day of the rally and put it in my calendar. I plan on showing up!

I just went and looked at the vehicle. I had to take a pass although the guy (JC) was pretty nice. The positives first: very complete engine compartment and instrument panel. rust free firewall and floor boards. The doors and top appeared to be in good shape. We were able to get it to start up and run (there had been a bad battery cable). Frame looked like it was in good shape with no apparent cutting.

The bad: He had no title and the previous owner had no title. This was a big one. There was some paperwork that had been started to get a new title but I didn't want the unknowns nor the hassle. The nail in the coffin was the body; the fednors were full of bondo and from the middle of the front seats back, lots of large holes in the sides and the inner fendors, some filled with bondo and sheet metal, some just big holes. What I took into account was the vehicle purchase price plus the cost of fixing the body versus the cost of just waiting and putting more money back and waiting for one that had a better body and a clear title. I think someone with more welding and body work skill (and patience) would really like this.

Thanks, @73fj40lc (Greg). You're are totally right. There will always be another good deal if I'm willing to be patient and trust my gut.
And @SugarBear (Abe) ! hope you are well. Did you sell your BJ46? I saw you took it off CL.

Also, I agree that I have to expand my search criteria and I've been looking nationwide for awhile.

I am glad you didn’t go on your emotions but used rational thought. Many people have been burnt by not being willing to walk away from a bad vehicle. Don’t give up on looking because there are more out there than you think. So many times guys have had a 40 just drop into their lap unexpectedly after looking for a long time.

The more 40’s you look at the more you educate yourself and you will be better off in spotting the common problems. You did a good job on your evaluation of that 40.:cheers:

74FJ40, 305 SBC, rebuilt SM420/3 speed Toy T-case. 4 wheel disc brakes. 60 series steering box, 4x4 labs high steer arms and heavy duty tie rods, Chevy 1 ton tre's. Longfields, Lockrites front and rear. Shackle reversal, spring-over on the front axle. RuffStuff brackets. 4" lift springs on the rear. (comes with a stock set of rear springs) Warn 9000 with synthetic line. Tub was rebuilt when I bought it. Not rusted out, but plenty of dents. Fuel tank is an OE steel tank that is less than 10 years old. $5000

View attachment 1672844

Price drop. Up for offers, need it gone.

p1030038-jpg.1672844

Depends what you want to do with it but that is a steal IMO right in your price range if you dont mind shipping from NH. From this thread

Take the emotion and romance out of this possible restoration: Focus on the reality

"The other major barrier is a lost title. I ran the serial number and its not listed as stolen or salvaged"

I have restored many vehicles, and ANYTHING with no title I typically turn around and run. As far as running a serial number, remember that there is NO, ONE, RELIABLE DATABASE ON STOLEN VEHICLES, period. Any database is only as good as its input, and there are many, many stolen vehicles out there whose numbers are not in any database. Same thing with salvage databases.

There are legal ways to get new titles that are lost, services that exist to help the honest restorers out there, but it is expensive, and even then, if it ever does come up as previously stolen, YOU will be the one that gets prosecuted, not the service

"Can you guys comment if I'm really deluding myself and I should wait a bit longer or if this is something I should jump on" YES, YOU ARE DELUDED (Just kidding).

"I'm in no hurry and saving up money all the time but as I'm sure you understand I have the itch to own and do a restomod FJ40 that I'm obsessed with" If you are in no hurry, pass this one on

Hi everyone...

I've been on this forum for 8-9 month now reading and researching. I'm getting comfortable about knowing what I want and watching craigslist daily. I'm looking for a project and have about $4-6K I can throw down. Ideally, I wanted something with little to no bodywork since I don't have any skill in that area but I'm pretty good with mechanical and electrical (I've restored two Gen-1 K5 Blazers before). I also wanted something with at least the 4 speed, the 2F or V8, disk brakes and if possible power steering. All that being said I came across this 1976 '40 here in Golden and I'm about to go look at it. Although the ad says it runs I talked with the owner and found it starts and turns over but does not run, the blinkers, head and tail lights don't work, its missing the rear seats, and some body work will be needed. However, I think the price is pretty reasonable and in the range that I could afford to get the body work done IF! it turns out I can easily get the motor running and its not smoked. The other major barrier is a lost title. I ran the serial number and its not listed as stolen or salvaged but it still will take time and money to get it sorted out. Can you guys comment if I'm really deluding myself and I should wait a bit longer or if this is something I should jump on. I'm in no hurry and saving up money all the time but as I'm sure you understand I have the itch to own and do a restomod FJ40 that I'm obsessed with.

My plan is to take whatever I buy and use for short trips around town, tailgates, and in the Front range of Colorado. Planning on turning it into a softtop, put in EFI, some power outlets, to run an air compressor, heated seats, and some 33 in tires.

Thanks for your opinions and comments!!
1976 landcruiser FJ40

Welcome to Mud, and best of luck in your search for a 40. I agree with the others; be patient and a better one will come along that will be worth the wait. The Rising Sun guys can help you.

I grew up in Golden, and was just back for a visit last month.

I got my 40 for a pretty reasonable price after searching and searching. After I bought it I’ve seen other deals come up and shake my head, “if I would’ve held out a little longer!” Lol. There’s always good deals out there if you’re patient enough. Good luck.

I'd call Classic Cruisers in Salida and ask for a price quote on your transmission and accompanying driveshafts. There is going to be twice the opportunity if you expand your search for early 40s. You even might start with just a 4speed rebuild project, assuming that anything you buy is going to drip gear oil anyway, or transmission-transfer case rebuild project, and wait for the right truck to put it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom