Checking market value of 1981 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hard to know since it's been painted etc.. Bondo?? floor pans??

Gotta go look at em.

Is this the range you were looking in?? If so and a rig that doesn't look like it needs much.. this one might do you. If not, get a middle of the road cruiser .. mod it up a bit w/ your stuff.

He'll probably be asking 15-20 for it. Not saying it's worth it.. but that's what hel'l ask.

Good luck on the hunt.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I'll be taking a look at it within the next few days as I was out of town during much of the auction and couldn't get over to see it.

I just don't want to pull the trigger on something that's priced higher than most would pay due to my enthusiasm about owning another one. Being armed with a few opinions on value before going to see it would be a good.

Thanks again for your input.

Last edited:
No problems. However, go w/ a "True Friend" ...one of the LSLC folks from Houston that can tell you, "DON'T DO IT".. if need be... lol.

When you go look at them.. they're like looking at puppies.

...and somewhat like Roy Rogers.. " ..I never met one I didn't like"

Good luck.
Let us know what you do and take some pics!

Scott

value

Trucks that look like this sell for 20k on EBAY on a regular basis. I watch every 79-83 FJ40 just for kicks as I have a 1979 FJ40 and I find it interesting. I have no idea why this did not go over 12k? TLC gets like 40k for their trucks. This one is super nice. If I were buying again I would pay 15-20k only because I know you would have to be one blessed soul to find a truck like this for cheaper. Having said that this board is not the right place to gauge value. The consensus seems to be that folks charge too much for their FJ40's everywhere but they sell for big $$.

A decent restored 76-78 goes for 16k or so these days.

Do a closed item search on EBAY for 79-83 FJ40's. It will be eye opening.

Thanks Riddler! I like the way it is outfitted, and if the pictures are truly representative, I'll likely go ahead and bite the bullet.

Damn Cruisers are addictive!

My opinion on the true market value on a 40 is hard to say. But one thing is for sure EBAY is a high price venue. So expect to pay more when shop there. Every now and then you will get lucky.:) Look in the local papers, want ads craigslist....places like that.

My opinion on the true market value on a 40 is hard to say. But one thing is for sure EBAY is a high price venue. So expect to pay more when shop there. Every now and then you will get lucky.:) Look in the local papers, want ads craigslist....places like that.

Agreed x 1000

Thanks Pimp. It looks like a solid Cruiser, but has 2 strikes against it, which are the distance and the color.

I don't have the time available to pick it up, don't want to pay shipping, and I'm kind of partial to the Tan.

I appreciate the recommendation though!

Nice FJ40's

fjwagon said "My opinion on the true market value on a 40 is hard to say. But one thing is for sure EBAY is a high price venue. So expect to pay more when shop there. Every now and then you will get lucky. Look in the local papers, want ads craigslist....places like that."

I agree with the above statement but be ready for some serious delayed gratification. I spent over 4 years looking for the unrestored 79-83 FJ40 that was not altered from stock in any way, overpriced, or rusty. I finally found it 18 months ago. It has been in the shop ever since- undergoing a frame off/body off. I have not driven it once. Trying to find a deal could take 2 months or 4 years.

I agree with Pimp on the red 81' in AZ and the Houston Tan 1980 FJ40. Both of those are nice trucks.

Don't expect to stumble on one of these trucks for $5000 in a barn unless you deliver supplies to rural Texas farms and drive 100k miles a year in a delivery truck. The local papers and CL are serious longshot odds. I live in the country and even the country boys know what they have. Just check the CL in Spokane, WA for a good laugh.....mostly overpriced altered rigs...

Best of luck.

Aaron

You could also look in the Toyota Trails vehicle for sale section. There seem to be some pretty heavily modified vehicles there regularly that someone has dumped a WHOLE lot of money into and lost interest or whatever. That is if it's what you are looking for.

I have owned and fixed up many vehicles. My cruiser is quickly falling into the deepest money pit of all. first off I started off with a basket case. buy the best truck you can afford. I would rather spend 10-15 grand on a car or truck I didn't have to wrench on for years before I could drive. Trust me your money ahead buying a good solid truck ie frame, body, suspension and drive line, rather than spending months, years, and thousands doing it yourself. buy the creamiest creampuff your wallet can handle. If you can't handle 8-10k, save your cash for a while until you can. my .2 cents for what it's worth. It comes from trial and big expensive errors!!!

Well, scratch this 40 from the list. An absolute rust bucket in person. I'd say that $6-7K is the most it's worth as it needs just about an entire new tub as there are multiple holes in the floorboards by the seat brackets, soon-to-be holes in the support brace for the floor behind the seats, and considerable rust in every seam and weld line.

Damn frustrating as the pictures looked pretty good and it was built the way I wanted. Looks like the PO polished a turd with a low-budget respray and some nice bolt-on parts. The current owner paid $15.8K + shipping a year ago, and remains firm at $15K. I wish him luck there......

The search continues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom