Checking battery size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,

I’m thinking about getting a new battery for the 80 series and the optima yellow top seems to be a good choice. However, after checking the different sizes available from optima it seems that the 27F is a good fit for the 80 series and it is also the OEM size.

Would the yellow top agm 27F be overkill for a 97 LC truck that will get a winch and some bumper lights or a yellow top 34/78 size is better? After checking the their website, it looks like the 27F have a reserve of 140mins vs 120mins from the 34/78.

Also, what good trays for both sizes are available out there that you’d recommend? I’d prefer aluminum since it is lighter, found this company so far other than Amazon, Walmart and Summit Racing:

A salty price but curious to see what the thoughts out there would be for these.

Any info is appreciated.

I just put a 27F yellow top in my 80 and I also have a winch and lots of other accessories tied to it.

Alright, 27F seems to be the right one. I was curious about its size on the tray. Can the OEM clamp hold it in place due to the cylindrical design?

I run a optima 35A as the primary for the 80 and will be running a optima 34DM as the secondary battery.

Optima did move their production out of country and their quality has suffered.

Good choice on batteries, I work for Interstate Batteries (not partial) as a delivery driver.

There was some talk about the charging system on the 80 being able to keep up the demands for an AGM battery. There are a few people that do run AGM batteries without issues, I do plan on upgrading my charging system with new cables from Hudd Expo and use their "Big Kit" for the second battery which comes with the Blue Sea ML-ACR.

I run a optima 35A as the primary for the 80 and will be running a optima 34DM as the secondary battery.

Optima did move their production out of country and their quality has suffered.

Good choice on batteries, I work for Interstate Batteries (not partial) as a delivery driver.

There was some talk about the charging system on the 80 being able to keep up the demands for an AGM battery. There are a few people that do run AGM batteries without issues, I do plan on upgrading my charging system with new cables from Hudd Expo and use their "Big Kit" for the second battery which comes with the Blue Sea ML-ACR.
I run an AGM in my LC as a DD. No issue. I run an Exide Super Start 24RPLT.

I get 4 years easy out of them.

I have a winch, four 100 W halogen driving lights, O'Reilly reman alternator. I can't sit at a long light with all my lights on without the alternator voltage dropping at idle.

I use a throttle when winching.

I run an AGM in my LC as a DD. No issue. I run an Exide Super Start 24RPLT.

I get 4 years easy out of them.

I have a winch, four 100 W halogen driving lights, O'Reilly reman alternator. I can't sit at a long light with all my lights on without the alternator voltage dropping at idle.

I use a throttle when winching.

I never said people aren't running them, I can recall a few pictures seeing people running AGM batteries.

Your dimming lights might be due to inadequate wiring size, Slee sells an upgraded harness for the headlights. It gets the power source directly from the battery vice the factory harness but is designed to be plug and play.

Slee upgraded headlight harness

I never said people aren't running them, I can recall a few pictures seeing people running AGM batteries.

Your dimming lights might be due to inadequate wiring size, Slee sells an upgraded harness for the headlights. It gets the power source directly from the battery vice the factory harness but is designed to be plug and play.

Slee upgraded headlight harness
You misunderstand.

I mean ALL my lights. Hi beam, Low Beam, (4) 100W Halogens. Just the 4 halogens are drawing 33 Amps.

I'm just offering a point of reference.

I'm not going to install the Slee harness.

+1 for Interstate.
Running 2 Interstate 27's up front and 2 Interstate D4 AGM's in the cabin.

The stock clamp should be fine but I'm not a fan of Optima Batteries. Their quality has gone down over the years. I prefer a Interstate regular flooded lead acid type.

^This^.

Stay away from the optima, my buddies 80 series went through 3 in 1 year. They kept boiling over and bulging. Couldn't figure out why so he switched to a auto zone special on a trip and the problems went away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom