1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Checking 93 FZJ80 with 145K

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by bj70alex, Feb 14, 2004.

1. bj70alex

bj70alex

I found a 93 with 145K. The first seven years it spend in Chicago and the rest in SouthEast.

Do you guys think that the first 7 years did some rust damage?
    Which areas I should be checking closely to check for any rust spots?

Thanks in advance
    Alex
    85 BJ70

2. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

125k here on a New England only vehicle. Only place to be concerned is the rear side windows and the rear hatch just below the window. I only have the rear hatch problem, it starts from the inside going out. I personally wouldn't care about the first 7 years. It's the last four I'd be on the look out for. Dried leaking gaskets and seals, dried cracked leather interior, faded paint, all those hot climate issues.

3. Rich

Rich

I lived in New England for a long time. I now live where it doesn't snow. I do all of my own vehicle maintenance, and there is a significant difference when working on a truck that has lived in the salt. There is more to deal with than rusted sheet metal. Every external nut, bolt, and screw is subject to seizing. If you live outside the rustbelt I think you would be nuts to buy a cruiser from the rustbelt.

If you live in the rustbelt and you keep your vehicles long enough, then you will have to deal the the issue regardless. Even still, all other things being equal and subject to availability, I would buy a vehicle that hasn't seen salt, even if I had to pay a bit more.

Rich

4. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    134k on a 93 from SLC except last 12k. No rust anywhere except very tiny bubbles on upper rear hatch and scratches around the door edges. Frame has a tiny amount of surface rust.

5. NovaFZJ80

NovaFZJ80

TOYOTA --'97 LAND CRUISER, 40th edit., 106Kmi, $13,900. Call 301-948-6238 $13,900 saw in Sundays Washington Post...DC metro area...

$7,900, TOYOTA '94 Landcruiser --Auto 4x4, sunrf, CD, lthr seats, good cond, 156K. $7900. 301 306-9007 ...

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">